- L.L.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2012
Alphis has an active practice in complex commercial litigation and arbitration. He has represented a wide range of clients, from public-listed companies to high net worth individuals, at all levels of the Singapore Courts as well as in arbitrations and mediations.
His disputes experience encompasses a wide variety of matters including corporate insolvency & restructuring, shareholder disputes, investment disputes, banking & financial disputes, product liability & consumer claims, tenancy disputes and employment disputes.
In addition, Alphis has significant expertise in corporate and transactional work. He spent several years as the head in-house counsel of one of Asia’s largest lifestyle and wellness companies, during which he worked closely with and advised senior management and other stakeholders on various high-value capital markets, M&A and banking & finance transactions.
Alphis graduated from the National University of Singapore and was placed among the top candidates in the Singapore Bar Examinations. While on exchange during his university days, Alphis represented Instituto de Empresa, a top graduate school in Spain, in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Vienna, Austria.
Alphis is currently a Legal Analysis, Research and Communications course instructor in the National University of Singapore.
Areas of practice
Commercial Litigation, Corporate Litigation, Corporate Restructuring & Workouts, Arbitration, Banking & Finance, Employment
Alphis has been involved in a wide range of matters, including:
- Successfully represented the liquidator of Celestial Nutrifoods Ltd (in Liquidation), an s-chip company formerly listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, against the company’s former auditors in a landmark application before the Court of Appeal, the first time the Singapore Courts exercised their powers under section 285 of the Companies Act to order auditors to produce documents, including all their working papers to a liquidator (PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and others v Celestial Nutrifoods Ltd (in compulsory liquidation)  3 SLR 665).
- Successfully defended Performance Motors Ltd in the Court of Appeal in a claim brought under the Sale of Goods Act involving an allegedly defective car (on appeal from the High Court’s decision in Chan Chee Kien v Performance Motors Ltd  SGHC 54).
- Advised and represented a high net worth Indonesian individual in banking & finance disputes involving novel and complex issues of conflict of laws and civil procedure (Pacific Harbor Advisors Pte Ltd and another v Tiny Tantono (representative of the estate of Lim Susanto, deceased) and another suit  SGHCR 3).
- Represented a recycling company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and several of its subsidiaries in actions in the High Court involving shareholder and director disputes as well as an application for leave to commence a statutory derivative action.
- Represented an Indonesian state-connected financial institution in an investment dispute in an arbitration held under the rules of the International Islamic Center for Reconciliation and Arbitration.
- Successfully assisted a lifestyle and entertainment company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and its subsidiaries in striking out claims brought by a supplier in the High Court (Giorgio Ferrari Pte Ltd v Lifebrandz Ltd and others  1 SLR 358).
- Represented a company involved in the trading of petrochemical products in claims of breach of contract brought by various parties in the High Court as well as arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Successfully represented the former auditors of a company formerly listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange in resisting a claim made by the liquidator of the company for pre-action discovery of documents.
- Involved in the US$2.6 billion restructuring exercise of PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk, an Indonesian company listed on both the Singapore and Jakarta Stock Exchanges. This deal was awarded Asian-MENA Counsel: Deals of the Year – Honourable Mention and IFLR Asia Awards 2016: Restructuring Deal of the Year.
- Advised V3 Group, one of Asia’s largest lifestyle and wellness companies, on the acquisition of a minority stake in the company by KKR for an aggregate consideration of up to S$500 million.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law