- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
Andrew Ong has diversified experience as an Assistant Registrar in the Supreme Court for 3 years, an active litigation partner specialising in Shipping and Commercial Litigation for the next 16 years, and a 4 year stint as a Regional Chief Operating Officer covering six countries in the Business World.
Andrew started his legal career in 1989 in the Singapore Legal Service where he held the appointment of Deputy Registrar of the Subordinate Courts and Small Claims Tribunal referee. He was gazetted as a Magistrate in 1990 and held the position of Assistant Registrar, Supreme Court from 1990 to 1992.
Since moving into private practice in late 1992, he has practised extensively in the area of Admiralty and Shipping law and has won numerous accolades and recognition in the following international publications:
- Chambers Global – The World’s Leading Lawyers (2001 to 2008)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2001 to 2006)
- Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Shipping & Maritime Lawyers (2004)
- International Financial Law Review (2005)
- Chambers Asia (2008)
Andrew also practised extensively in the area of commercial litigation and specialised in the area of Stockbroking and Securities related litigation.
In 2008, Andrew was approached to enter the business world. He left legal practice in May 2008 to take on the appointment of Regional Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) of the True Group, a Fitness & Yoga, Spa and Aesthetics group spanning 30 centres in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, India and China. He has gained valuable insight into the intricacies of the business world in the four years as COO of the True Group.
After his stint as COO, Andrew returned to the legal world in the capacity of a full time Business Development Partner of a major regional law firm. He spearheaded Business Development and Client Relations not just for Singapore but for 9 other countries in Asia.
In 2019, Andrew returned to Drew & Napier LLC and is currently its Director, Client Development & Regional Operations.
In presiding over cases in the Subordinate and Supreme Courts in the early years of his career, Andrew acquired a diverse and unique perspective in civil litigation practice.
His experience in admiralty and shipping practice was varied and extensive in both “wet” and “dry” contentious matters covering such areas as oil and marine pollution liability, oil contamination claims and other quality/quantity disputes, charter parties, bills of lading, cargo damage, shipbuilding and repairs disputes, tug and tow matters, and other multi-modal transport issues.
His commercial litigation practice covered all aspects of general and commercial litigation.
Since 2012, Andrew has acquired a unique perspective in client development on a regional scale. His understanding of the business world and his in depth experience as a legal practitioner places him in a unique position to lead client care and development in the firm.
Shipping 2008 – Recommended lawyer from 2001 to 2008
- 'able and tenacious'
- ‘A sedulous worker’, 'whose good sense exudes from his every pore'
- ‘focused, experienced and prominent’
Shipping 2008 - Recommended lawyer
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Shipping 2006 – Recommended lawyer from 2001 to 2006
Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Shipping & Maritime Lawyers 2004
Listed as a recommended Shipping lawyer
International Financial Law Review 2005
Listed as a recommended Shipping lawyer
- Exco Council Member and Treasurer, Law Society of Singapore (2008)
- Council Member, Law Society of Singapore (2007 – 2008)
- Panel Member, Disciplinary Committee, Law Society of Singapore (1996 – 2008)
- Chairman, Finance Sub-committee Millennium Law Conference Steering Committee (1998 – 2000)
- Council Representative, Fund Raising Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2007 – 2008)
- Practice Law Course Advocacy Trainer, Law Society of Singapore (2004 – 2008)
- Vice-Chairman, Advocacy Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2006 – 2008)
- Member, Advocacy Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2004 – 2008)
- Vice-Chairman, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Law Society of Singapore (1998 – 2001)
- Member, Legal Education & Studies Committee, Singapore Academy of Law (1999 – 2000)
- Member, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Law Society of Singapore (1997 – 2001)