- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2013)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (August 2014)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E)
Charis’s main areas of practice are Data Protection & Privacy and Technology, Media & Telecommunications (TMT).
Charis frequently advises clients on the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 and its accompanying regulations, and other sectoral data protection laws. Her experience includes developing and implementing data protection compliance programmes, reviewing data protection policies and agreements, advising on cross-border data transfers, advising on data security measures, conducting training sessions for companies, as well as providing advice and assistance to companies that have suffered data breaches and data incidents.
In addition to her experience advising private-sector clients, Charis was seconded to the Singapore data protection authority, the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC), for two years where she worked on a wide range of enforcement cases, from the start of investigations to the issuance of the grounds of decision. During her time there, she also assisted the legal department with legislative development and policy research.
Charis’s corporate experience also includes advising and assisting MNCs, listed companies, statutory boards and technology start-ups on a broad spectrum of contractual, employment, TMT, healthcare, competition and compliance & regulatory issues. She also frequently assists companies in the telecoms sector with licensing queries and engagement with the Info-communications Media and Development Authority (IMDA).
- Advised and assisted a company in the healthcare sector on its responsibilities and obligations under Singapore data protection laws after a cybersecurity incident and potential data breach. This included filing a notification to the PDPC and responding to follow up queries from enforcement officers, as well as preparing letters to notify the affected individuals.
- Advised the PDPC on the legal aspects of an investigation report concerning a potential data breach, and assisted in the drafting of the preliminary grounds of decision.
- Advised and assisted a large luxury and lifestyle hospitality development conduct a data inventory and implement an organisation-wide data retention policy.
- Advised and assisted a Chinese technology conglomerate on telecom licensing matters in relation to the launch of its new products and services, including engagement with the IMDA.
- Advised and assisted a manufacturing group company to develop their personal data protection compliance programme. This involved conducting a data protection audit of existing measures, reviewing contractual documents, and the drafting of policies and practices and a data protection compliance guide.
- Advised and assisted a global Internet and cloud connectivity provider on telecom licensing matters in relation to the services offered.
- Advised and assisted an electronics manufacturing company under a cartel investigation by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law