Director, Corporate & Finance
Co-Head, Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity
Co-Head and Programme Director, Drew Data Protection & Cybersecurity Academy
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1997)
- LL.M. in Intellectual Property and Technology Law, National University of Singapore (2004)
- MBA, University of Chicago (2012)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1998)
- Solicitor, England and Wales (2006) (non-practising)
- Fellow of Information Privacy, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / Asia (CIPP/A)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT)
David is Co-Head of the firm’s Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity Practice and Co-Head of the Drew Data Protection and Cybersecurity Academy.
David is a senior data protection, cybersecurity and technology lawyer with over 20 years’ experience advising on a broad range of matters relating to digital technology, telecommunications and the Internet. He has advised on both regulatory and commercial matters and has significant experience advising on public policy, legislation, regulatory enforcement and international relations. David is also an accomplished speaker who has spoken widely on the development of Singapore data protection law, data protection compliance and related issues.
Prior to joining the firm, David was the first Chief Counsel to Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Commission (2013-2020). He has also worked with the Info-communications Development Media Authority and its predecessor, the Info-communications Development Authority of Singapore.
David’s experience includes a substantial stint as an in-house counsel and he has held General Counsel or equivalent positions for over 10 years. He is familiar with corporate governance, legal risk management and the development and management of the in-house legal function.
David’s experience in data protection and cybersecurity includes advising on numerous cases under Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) including several which relate to data breaches, information security and protection of personal data. He has also advised on various compliance, policy and cross-border issues relating to data protection.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Cybersecurity and Data Protection Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- David N. Alfred & Lanx Goh, Cross-border Issues in Data Protection (Chapter) in Data Protection Law in Singapore, 2nd ed. (Singapore Academy of Law, 2018)
- David N. Alfred, Development of Singapore Data Protection Law: International Influences and Local Needs  PDP Digest 241