- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2013)
- Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2014)
Don represents and advises clients in adjudication, arbitration and litigation matters, with a particular focus on construction and engineering, telecommunications and projects disputes (both globally and in South East Asia).
He has acted in a number of high value arbitrations concerning construction, technology and telecommunications projects outside of Singapore involving legally and technically complex areas such as delay analysis, variations, defective technology, force majeure relief and termination events.
On the domestic construction front, Don advises and represents both owners and contractors in complex disputes. He has expertise with all the major construction forms in Singapore and the region.
Don primarily operates in the international arbitration and international projects disputes space, with particular expertise in disputes concerning FIDIC-based contract forms.
In addition to his construction disputes practice, Don also acts for clients in disputes in areas such as breaches of directors’ duties, shareholders’ disputes, minority oppression claims, ICT disputes and employment claims.
Alongside his disputes practice, Don also advises on front-end work such as reviewing and drafting construction contracts and advising on operational issues in long term technology contracts.
Don graduated from the National University of Singapore with 2nd Class (Upper) Honours in 2013 and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2014.
The following are some of the notable matters which Don has handled:
Construction & Engineering
- Represented a Liechtenstein contractor in two UNCITRAL arbitrations against the Government of the Maldives for claims of US$155 million in damages for wrongful terminations and expropriation of land granted in connection with Public-Private-Partnership projects for construction of public housing units and other public infrastructure
- Representing a Korean multinational conglomerate in an UNCITRAL 2010 arbitration against an Indian state-owned company over claims amounting to US$210 million arising out of the construction of a High Density Polyethylene petrochemicals plant at Gujarat, India
- Represented a Vietnamese government-linked employer in its dispute with the EPC contractor consortium in a US$160 million VIAC-administered arbitration in respect of the design and construction of the headrace tunnel for a hydropower plant project in Upper Kon Tum, Vietnam
- Rollout of telecommunications tower infrastructure – representing several leading telecommunications tower infrastructure providers over disputes relating to breaches of a master services agreement for tower construction, operation and maintenance
- Representing and advising a major private equity group in the infrastructure sector in its minority oppression claims against the majority shareholders and directors controlling an IT project SPV across multiple jurisdictions
- Committee Member, Continuing Professional Development Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Assessor under COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act 2020
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Society of Construction Law (Singapore)
- Contributing author, “Updates from around the world – SINGAPORE – FIDIC Questionnaire” (Construction Law International Vol. 12 Issue 3, September 2017)