- LL.B. (Hons) Law with Chinese Law, University of Nottingham
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2013
- Certified Information Privacy Professional /Europe (CIPP/E), 2019
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), 2020
Janice is an Associate Director with the Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT), Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity, and Corporate and Finance Practice Groups in Drew & Napier.
Her key practice areas are in corporate and commercial law, with a notable emphasis on data protection, TMT, and regulatory and administrative law matters.
Janice regularly advises clients on Singapore data protection law compliance, including reviewing contractual agreements and policies, conducting trainings and audits as well as advising on enforcement issues relating to security, access, monitoring, and data breaches.
In addition to her broad data protection experience, Janice is frequently involved in assisting and advising government regulators, including the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA), the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) and other statutory boards on enforcement, licensing, regulatory and market access issues. She has worked on some of the most significant developments in the Singapore data protection scene and the TMT market.
Janice’s corporate experience also includes advising and assisting MNCs, listed companies and technology start-ups on a range of contractual, corporate advisory, compliance and regulatory matters.
Janice is a Certified Information Privacy Professional for Europe (CIPP/E) and a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM).
Some notable matters on which Janice has been involved include:
- Advised the Personal Data Protection Commission on the implementation and enforcement of the general data protection framework under the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 in an investigation that led to the largest financial penalty imposed on a single organisation.
- Provided legal and regulatory support to the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) and the former Infocomm Development Authority for the New Entrant Spectrum Auction 2016 and the 5G Call for Proposal 2020.
- Assisting the IMDA on the convergence of the telecommunications and media market competition codes.
- Advised the former Media Development Authority of Singapore (now the IMDA) on issues relating to the enforcement of the Media Market Conduct Code regarding the terms of the acquisition of media content.
- Assisted and advised an iconic integrated property developer on incident investigations, enforcement and remedial issues, including advising on its disclosure obligations, in relation to a potential data breach.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Cybersecurity & Data Protection Committee, Law Society of Singapore
Janice has contributed to the following publications:
- Personal Data Protection Digest 2019
- Personal Data Protection Digest 2020
- Singapore Data Protection Overview, DataGuidance (2019)