Jimmy Yim, SC, PBM
Managing Director, Dispute Resolution
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1982)
- LL.M., National University of Singapore (1990)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1983)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (1997)
- Appointed Senior Counsel (1998)
Mr Jimmy Yim is Chairman of Drew & Napier LLC and the Managing Director of Singapore’s most celebrated Dispute Resolution practice.
Mr Yim graduated with top honours from the National University of Singapore in 1982, interned at Baker & McKenzie in London and Hong Kong and made associate at another leading practice from 1983 to 1985. From 1985 to 1988, he was appointed regional delegate of an international organisation based in Paris. Mr Yim returned to private practice at Drew & Napier in 1989, made partner in 1991 and was conferred Senior Counsel in 1998.
Mr Yim has built up over three decades of experience in civil and commercial law and international arbitration. His experience in trials and international arbitration ranges from energy projects, building and construction, to companies and joint-ventures. As a leading dispute practitioner, he is recommended by name in all leading legal publications: Chambers & Partners, Asia Pacific Legal 500, and Asialaw Profiles.
Mr Yim’s experience in international arbitration ranges from disputes concerning energy projects, telecommunications, building construction, satellites, pharmaceutical contracts, distributorship agreements and joint-venture contracts of various kinds. Some of his notable arbitration cases:
- Successfully recovered millions of dollars for a Norwegian corporation in an arbitration resulting from a marine accident in the South China Sea. The dispute involved issues of seaworthiness of vessels, obligations under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea 1974 and gross negligence.
- Successfully defended a US MNC (a worldwide leader in IT and networking) in a multi-million dollar claim arising from highly complex and technical agreements to design, build, operate and manage a WiMAX network in Malaysia.
- Successfully representing Thai nationals and the former owners and/or operators of a leading casino in Poipet, Cambodia. The dispute involves issues relating to breach of restraint of trade provisions in the sale agreement by the clients, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and conspiracy.
- Successfully acted for Creative Technology Ltd and its subsidiary, QMax Communications against Huawei International in relation to disputes arising from design, building and operating a wireless network in Singapore where the Court held that there were elements of misrepresentation, gross negligence and contractual breaches on part of the vendor.  SGHC 201
- Successfully acted for a high net-worth Chinese national against a founder of a chain of aesthetics clinics under the PPP brand in claims for fraudulent misrepresentation and breaches of contract in respect of the purchase of shares where the High Court allowed the contracts to be rescinded and ordered a refund of S$30.7 million to the investor.  SGHC 284
Dispute Resolution: Litigation – Singapore 2021 – Band 2 (12 years ranked)
Dispute Resolution: Arbitration – Singapore 2021 – Band 4 (12 years ranked)
He is well regarded for his client service, in particular his attention to detail and “valuable tactical advice”.
An experienced lawyer who focuses on real estate and construction-related issues, Jimmy Yim SC has a reputation for providing advice that is “well thought through and well documented.” It is also said that he is “thorough and has a great understanding of the matter”.
Jimmy Yim SC comes highly recommended for his focus on commercial litigation work. One market source notes: "He is very well known in the industry as a litigator and he is always smooth and a gentleman in court." Jimmy Yim SC's practice spans energy and resources projects and construction-related arbitration. Clients say he "quickly understands different aspects of a case and proposes a viable strategy."
"known for his advocacy skill internationally"; "instrumental in defining the overall strategy, paying attention to the smallest details and the interrelationship between all the events and claims."
“familiarity with the judicial system, skill in conducting a trial and flair for cross-examination”; "His eye for detail and precision in drafting arguments (both written and oral) has also resulted in successful outcomes in the course of handling a dispute for us."
“One client notes his skill in handling negotiations, while another highlights his ability to analyse issues from a legal and regulatory perspective”
“a very sharp and very eloquent counsel.”
“the judges love him”
“he makes the difference in complex cases.”
“‘very good’ performance as counsel, where he ‘always works with great stamina’."
“Recognised as an ‘extremely persuasive advocate’.”
“Clients are impressed that ‘he understands key issues super-quickly’.’’
“Brilliant and experienced counsel”
“Hailed as a brilliant litigator by market sources, and is considered a highly experienced senior counsel.”
“Wins plaudits for his diligence and performance in international arbitration matters”
“Known for his deep experience and proactive manner”
“Has a gentlemanly style, and is well liked by the bench and competition”
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Leading Individual for 19 consecutive years
International Arbitration 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Projects & Energy 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Sources say “Jimmy Yim SC has shown excellent advocacy in the court room. He is very cordial, but strong and very persuasive.”
“Jimmy Yim, SC has an ability to simplify very complex and technical arguments to narrow it down to the key issues in dispute, and deliver them passionately and eloquently with fierce persuasion.”
“a super excellent lawyer”, “always provides precise and to the point advice” and “is good at thinking out of the box”
“very quick to narrow down the key issues, craft strategic and tactical solutions, and has a lot of drive and passion in the delivery of legal arguments”
“Commended for his ‘advocacy skills and in-depth knowledge’”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Litigation – Endorsed individual for 13 consecutive years
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual for 11 consecutive years
Construction Law – Endorsed individual for 7 consecutive years
Who's Who Legal
Litigation 2017 – Recommended lawyer
Global Investigations Review 100 (GIR 100) 5th edition (2019)
Recognised as a leading individual for investigations. The GIR 100 identifies top 100 firms worldwide that handle complex cross-border government-led and internal investigations.
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Dispute Resolution 2021 – Elite Practitioner for 5 consecutive years
Energy & Natural Resources 2018 – Market Leading lawyer for 2 years
“Jimmy is a wonderful litigator and a great lawyer.”
“The law is very clearly described with minimum legal jargon. [His] depth of legal knowledge helped us to win our recently concluded case in the Court of Appeal.
Dispute Resolution 2021 – Outstanding practice for 11 consecutive years
Energy & Natural Resources 2018 – Outstanding practice
“Jimmy Yim continues to be an influential advisor in energy project disputes by partnering with the construction and engineering dispute resolution team.”
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2020 edition
Identified as a Dispute Resolution Star – Commercial and Transactions, International Arbitration
“Yim is an outstanding advocate. His thinking is clear and he’s always available.”
Asia IP Experts 2016
Leading individual in IP Litigation
- Regional Arbitrator, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Panel Arbitrator & Mediator, Asian International Arbitration Centre
- Recommended International Arbitrator, Pacific International Arbitration Centre, Vietnam
- Member, Panel of Mediators, Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre (FIDReC), The Association of Banks in Singapore
- Member, Ministry of Law Steering Committee on Legal Aid
- Member, Criminal Legal Representation and Social of the Senior Counsel Forum
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Citizenship Committee of Inquiry, Ministry of Home Affairs