- M.A. (Law) (Hons), University of Cambridge
- LL.M. National University of Singapore
- Admitted to the Bar of England & Wales in 1985 and to the Singapore Bar
Petrus is a Director with Drew & Napier LLC’s Corporate & Finance Department. He is Co-Head of the Investment Funds practice, and a senior director in the Greater China Desk.
Petrus has more than 25 years of practice. He has an active investment funds practice advising local and international clients on establishment of investment funds including Singapore Variable Capital Companies, property funds, Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) limited partnership funds, real estate investment trusts, and business trusts. He also assists clients to set up their fund management companies, and financial advisory services operations. He advises on the regulatory, compliance and incentives applicable to such investment funds and fund managers.
His capital markets practice covers equity capital markets including initial public offerings and secondary listings, placements, rights issues, and listed company share schemes, as well as the offering and listing of short-term and long-term debt instruments.
Petrus has handled many high profile matters. Here are just a few:
- Acted as lead counsel in the listing on the Singapore stock exchange of an exempt investment fund as part of a wealth succession planning structure.
- Acted in the setting up of private equity funds and real estate funds in the form of variable capital companies and/or limited partnership
- Acted for a leading institutional investor in the establishment of a private foundation involving special applications for exemptions to the regulatory authorities.
- Acted for Cambridge Industrial Trust Management Ltd in its listing and public offering of a real estate industrial REIT offering and listing amounting to S$512 million and subsequent debt financing in Singapore’s first asset-backed commercial paper conduit accessing the United States commercial paper market
- Acted for UBS Warburg and DBS Bank the joint international book-runners in the initial public offering and listing of CapitaMall REIT, Singapore’s first real estate investment trust
Investment Funds 2021 – Leading lawyer for 11 consecutive years
Highly regarded for his fund management practice, He has a “deep understanding of the Singapore regime and his advice is always practical.”
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Investment Funds 2020 – Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years
Capital Markets 2019 – Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
“Very skilled in fund formation”, regularly acting for local and international clients, fund management companies and REITs.
Petrus Huang is praised for his “very strong background”, “industry knowledge”, regulatory acumen and experience with REIT offerings.
Petrus Huang stands out for his “experience and knowledge”. He is strong in all aspects of funds management and private equity transactions together with regulatory regimes and related tax issues.
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Capital Markets, Investment Funds 2020 – Notable Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
Mergers & Acquisitions 2018 – Notable Practitioner
“Very good lawyer with a lot of legal and business knowledge; very receptive.”
A client noted that Petrus is “extremely knowledgeable in legal, commercial and corporate, technology, etc.,” and he is a "great team player.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyer
Investment Funds 2021 – Distinguished Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
Capital Markets 2021 – Distinguished Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
Private Equity 2019 – Market-leading Lawyer
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Investment Funds 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Mutual Funds 2021 – Endorsed individual for 10 consecutive years
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Singapore’s Top 100 lawyers 2019
Who’s Who Legal
Private Funds 2016 – Recommended lawyer for 7 consecutive years
Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Lawyers
Investment Funds 2013 – Outstanding Practitioner
Capital Markets 2012 – Leading lawyer
Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?
Endorsed individual 2012 for 5 consecutive years
Euromoney Legal Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Investment Funds Lawyers
Leading practitioner 2010
- Member, Corporate Practice Committee of the Singapore Law Society
- Member, Council on Law Reporting of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Executive Committee Member, BANSEA