- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1997)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1998)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (2002)
- Appointed Senior Counsel (2019)
Siraj specialises in complex, high-value commercial litigation and international arbitration. He has an active trial and appellate practice at all levels of the Courts in Singapore, and also regularly appears in international arbitrations both as counsel and arbitrator.
Siraj began his career at Drew & Napier in 1997 before leaving in 2002 to join the corporate practice of an international law firm. In 2008, he co-founded Premier Law and headed its Dispute Resolution practice. In 2016, Premier Law entered into a joint venture with the UK law firm RPC, and Siraj was concurrently a Partner and Head of Dispute Resolution at the joint venture firm, RPC Premier Law. He rejoined Drew & Napier as a Director in 2019.
Siraj has been described as a "star" and "a formidable litigator" in legal directories, and was named as a Leading Individual for Dispute Resolution by Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and a Disputes Star (Commercial & Transactions and Insolvency) by Benchmark Litigation. He was appointed Senior Counsel by the Chief Justice of Singapore in 2019, one of a select few to be accorded the honour.
Siraj is a civilian panel member on the Military Court of Appeal and also sits on the Working Group of the Professional Conduct Council chaired by the Chief Justice of Singapore. He was a member of the Singapore International Commercial Court Rules Sub-Committee, a past member of the Council of The Law Society of Singapore and has sat as a member of its Inquiry Panel since 2009.
Siraj holds Fellowships at the Singapore Academy of Law, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a member of the London Court of International Arbitration and the International Association of Defence Counsel.
Siraj has acted in several landmark matters before the Courts including:
- Acting for high net worth individuals and corporates in claims against international private and investment banks, including claims by different individuals for US$40 million against Citibank N.A. and Deutsche Bank, and defending a claim for damages estimated at S$138 million by UOB Ltd.
- Acting for international insurers in Court and arbitration proceedings, including successfully defending an international insurer in two international arbitration proceedings involving claims totalling approx. US$70 million made by a leading local bank under a trade credit insurance policy.
- Acting for a group of 212 investors in a representative action in the Singapore High Court against DBS Bank Limited. This was one of very few representative actions launched in the Singapore Courts, and the only one arising out of the 2008 global financial crisis.
- Acting in a successful application to the Singapore High Court to sanction the restructure of a US$325 million note issued by Blue Ocean Resources Pte Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of a company listed on the Jakarta Stock Exchange. This was the first successful application of its kind in Singapore in relation to the restructuring of such a note using the scheme of arrangement provisions in the Singapore Companies Act.
- Acting for the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) in a prosecution of 6 entities and individuals under the Singapore Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act (CPFTA). This was the first exercise of the CCCS' enforcement powers under the CPFTA.
Dispute Resolution: Litigation 2020 – Recognised Practitioner
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years
The Legal 500 said that Siraj “provides additional firepower in banking and insolvency disputes” and describes him as 'a formidable litigator'.
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Identified as a Dispute Resolution Star in 2020 – Commercial and Transactions; Insolvency
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Dispute Resolution 2021 – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
A client praised Siraj for being “Very knowledgeable. Good disposition. Acts in the client's best interests. Good rapport with other lawyers. Good strategist.”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore (2021 edition)
Arbitration and Mediation – Endorsed individual
- Civilian panel member on the Military Court of Appeal
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, International Association of Defence Counsel
- Member, Accreditation Committee under the CPD Scheme, Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore