- LLB, National University of Singapore
Derrick Khoo is a partner and key member of the firm’s regional corporate and commercial team.
He has amassed more than 16 years of cross-border transactional experience as a private-practice lawyer with top international firms whilst based in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Singapore, and Dubai. Prior to joining Tilleke & Gibbins, Derrick was general counsel for an international group with investments in real estate, telecommunications, F&B and other sectors, where he oversaw all legal and regulatory matters in Hong Kong, Singapore and Myanmar.
Derrick’s regional practice focuses on a range of areas including cross-border M&A, growth equity investments, real estate, foreign direct investments, JVs, and other corporate and commercial transactions. He has represented a diverse client base including sovereign wealth funds, private equity funds, investment banks, state-owned enterprises and Fortune 500 corporations.
Over the course of his career, Derrick has advised on numerous prolific M&A, private equity, and capital markets transactions, including high-value transactions that have garnered recognition by IFLR as Middle East M&A Deal of the Year (2010) and by Asian Legal Business as Equity Market Deal of the Year for Southeast Asia (2007). Derrick has been named a “Rising Star Partner” by IFLR 1000 (2022-2024).
Derrick is fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) and is the co-head of Tilleke & Gibbins’ China desk, serving as a key liaison with the firm’s China-based clients. He is qualified as a Solicitor of the High Court of Hong Kong SAR, an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales.
- Advised a U.S. private equity client in its competitive auction bid and US$700 million pre-IPO investment in a major PRC state-owned enterprise, which subsequently launched one of the largest IPOs on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised a private investment firm on its US$370 million public takeover of a leading hotel and resort acquisition and development company listed on the NASDAQ Dubai (Winner of IFLR Middle East M&A Deal of the Year (2010)).
- Advised on the S$192 million IPO of a pure-play Indonesian REIT on the Singapore Stock Exchange (Winner of Asian Legal Business (Southeast Asia) Equity Market Deal of the Year Award 2007).
- Advised a major PRC state-owned enterprise (which is also a Fortune 500 company) in its €150 million acquisition of the industrial business of a renowned German conglomerate.
- Actively advising on growth equity investments, involving structuring the acquisition of stakes in various portfolio companies in different industries at early-stage, Series A, B and C levels.
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate and M&A 2024 - Notable Practitioner
Financial and Corporate 2024 – Rising Star Partner for 3 consecutive years