- BA, University of the Witwatersrand
- LL.B., University of South Africa
- LL.B. (Hons), University of Reading
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in December 1986
Gary has more than 25 years of legal experience and is recognised as one of Singapore’s leading corporate lawyers, particularly in the field of mergers and acquisitions.
His primary area of practice is corporate finance including mergers and acquisitions, securities and stock exchange related work, and general corporate advice. Gary is instructed by financial institutions and local and international corporate clients.
Some of the more significant matters Gary has handled include:
- Acted for Hotel Properties Limited (HPL) in relation to 68 Holdings Pte. Ltd.'s mandatory conditional cash offer for HPL. This deal valued HPL at approximately S$2 billion.
- Acted for the Offeror, a SPV formed by a consortium led by Overseas Union Enterprise Limited (OUE)in relation to its $13.1 billion voluntary conditional cash offer to acquire all of the issued and paid-up ordinary shares in Fraser And Neave, Limited (F&N). The OUE offer was one of two competing offers for F&N, the other being the offer by TCC Assets Limited. This was one of South-East Asia’s largest takeovers. This transaction won the IFLR Asia Awards 2014 M&A Deal of the Year, ALB SE Asia Legal Awards 2014 Southeast Asia Deal of the Year, Southeast Asia M&A Deal of the Year and Singapore M&A Deal of the Year, and was selected as one of the Asian-MENA Counsel Deals of the Year 2013. Drew was also highly recommended in the Corporate & Commercial category for Asia-Pacific headquartered firms in the Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers 2014 report for its involvement in the deal.
- Acted as Singapore counsel for Australia and New Zealand Banking Groupin the acquisition of some of Royal Bank of Scotland's assets in Singapore and the region for US$550 million. The acquisition included RBS's retail, wealth, and commercial businesses in Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia and Hong Kong. It gave ANZ control of RBS's institutional businesses in Taiwan, the Philippines and Vietnam. This transaction was selected as one of the Asian-Counsel Deals of the Year 2009.
- Advised STATS ChipPac in the US$2.024 billion takeover offer made by Temasek.
- Acted for Safe Label Group Pte Ltd, a vehicle of private equity firm Navis Capital Partners, in its voluntary conditional cash offer for Adampak Limited, a specialized producer of customized labels, which was valued at approximately S$110 million. He also acted in the subsequent delisting of Adampak after the compulsory acquisition of its outstanding shares.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Corporate/M&A 2018 – Recommended Lawyer; Leading individual for 16 consecutive years from 2002 to 2017
Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global
Corporate/M&A 2019 - Senior Statesperson
- Gary is described by peers as a "brilliant lawyer".
- “Market sources ‘really respect’ Gary Pryke ‘for the quality of his work - he's a sublime practitioner.’"
- "a long-established practitioner and a good operator."
- "He is a very strong practitioner with a very nuanced appreciation of the regulatory environment."
- “[He is] low-key but well respected, and great to have on a deal. He really knows his stuff, and his technical strength is very important.”
- “He has a deep understanding of the legislation and how to act inventively within its boundaries.”
- “… ‘one of the best corporate lawyers in Singapore’, ‘the advice he gives is unfailingly spot-on, you can get hold of him any time of the day and he will meet the deadlines you set him however inevitably unrealistic they are’”.
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Corp/M&A 2021 - Highly Regarded for 4 consecutive years; Leading lawyer from 2006 to 2017
- "Gary Pryke is respected by peers and clients alike for his experience and meticulous attention to detail: 'He has many years of experience, so he's dealt with different situations, which is very helpful when we encounter new problems or issues,' says a client."
- “[Gary is one] of the firm's best-known personalities and receives widespread praise from peers”.
Who’s Who Legal
Mergers & Acquisitions 2016 – Leading Lawyer
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Corporate 2021 – Endorsed individual for 13 consecutive years
Mergers & Acquisitions 2021 – Endorsed individual for 13 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate and M&A 2020 – Senior statesman
Corporate/M&A 2018 – Market Leading Lawyer
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Singapore’s Top 100 lawyers 2019
Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?
Corporate/M&A 2012 - Endorsed lawyer for 5 consecutive years
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Serves on various committees of the Law Society of Singapore