- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1995)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (1996)
Sok Hiang is a Director and the Co-Head of Drew & Napier's Real Estate and Corporate Real Estate Practice Group.
Her primary areas of practice include all aspects of real estate work, and banking and finance transactions. She has extensive real estate and real estate financing experience.
Sok Hiang has advised major institutional clients, including listed real estate developers, real estate investment trusts (REITS), multi-national corporations (including multinational technology corporations), major investment and property development groups with operations in the Asia Pacific region and beyond, property funds and asset managers, and high net worth individuals, on major real estate and real estate financing transactions, including the disposal (including collective sales), acquisition, leasing and financing of large local plant projects, data centres, large residential and industrial developments, prime commercial real estate, hotels and integrated resorts.
She also acts for major real estate developers in the sale, acquisition (including collective acquisition), financing and leasing of residential, commercial and industrial properties, including executive condominiums and mixed residential and commercial developments, liaising with the various statutory boards and regulatory authorities, such as URA, IRAS, Controller of Housing, where required.
Sok Hiang is experienced in the structuring of real estate transactions, loans and other financial transactions. She has advised extensively on complex land issues, including issues relating to properties owned by the various statutory boards, such as SLA, JTC and HDB (including advising on the policies relating thereto, which could involve other statutory boards such as the URA and EDB) in relation to a myriad of transactions such as sale and purchase transactions (relating to property or shares), financing transactions, commercial and industrial leasing transactions, and other real estate-related transactions.
Sok Hiang also represents and advises lessors and lessees on leases of commercial, industrial and residential property, often drafting bespoke documentation to cater to the specific requirements of the property concerned and/or the various lessees.
She advises major local as well as offshore banks and lending syndicates, finance companies and insurance companies on loan and other debt-related financing, including bilateral and syndicated loans and acquisition financings.
Sok Hiang is conversant in both English and Chinese.
Sok Hiang’s experience includes:
- Acting for one of Asia’s largest real estate groups and the largest private property developer in Singapore, in the sale of units in various residential, commercial and mixed developments.
- Advising on the structuring of transactions and documentation relating to integrated resorts and hotels.
- Acting for a leading chemicals producer in ASEAN and an integrated Chlor-Alkali producer in Indonesia with Indonesia as its home base in a mezzanine financing transaction for the purposes of financing an expansion project (polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and vinyl chloride monomer (VCM)) at the client’s plant in Indonesia.
- Acting for an international developer with Indian and Middle Eastern roots in respect of the lease of land, and the development and operation of a school on the leased land, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating on a shareholders’ agreement, and advising and negotiating with the authorities on the documentation relating to the alienation of the land.and the related mortgage and financing documentation thereafter.
- Acting for a syndication of banks in the grant of credit facilities to a hospitality real estate investment trust, where the transaction had to be structured to take into account the interests of the various master leases comprised in the various properties.
- Acting for vendors in collective sale transactions, including the sale of Katong Mall, the first full-retail development to be sold en bloc.
- Acting for two investment holding entities in connection with the grant of term loan and revolving credit facilities by a syndicate of local and foreign banks. The facilities were secured, amongst others, by a mortgage over one of Singapore’s first major and biggest suburban malls, a mixed-use development with sub-divided strata ownership.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Real Estate 2021 - Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Banking & Finance 2016 - Recommended Lawyer
“Depth of knowledge, customer engagement, and timely updates. Able to explain things clearly.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2021 edition
Sok Hiang is commended to be “very responsive and customer-oriented. Able to get things done with little fuss. Knowledgeable about the subject matter.”
“Helping us understand the various possible risks of the loan documents presented for signing, and provided us with recommendations to amend some aspects of the same documents.”
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law