- LLM, Franklin Pierce Law Center
- LLB, Hanoi Law University
Linh Thi Mai Nguyen is a partner and heads the Tilleke & Gibbins trademark team in Vietnam. Linh brings to the firm a comprehensive understanding of Vietnamese IP law both from a lawyer’s perspective and from the viewpoint of Vietnam’s legislators and judiciary, the product of more than a decade of experience as a lawyer advising owners of world-famous brands on protecting their IP rights in Vietnam, and five years as a legal program officer with the USAID-funded STAR project, where she coordinated with government agencies to ensure that Vietnam’s legal regime complied with international commitments.
Recognised as one of the Top 250 Women in IP by Managing IP and a leading trademark attorney by the WTR 1000, Linh has crafted persuasive arguments to win appeals and oppositions for foreign trademark holders in the fashion and consumer goods industries. She has also represented major franchises from the U.S. in the real estate and fitness sectors to resolve disputes with franchisees in Vietnam and secure the protection of the IP assets of the franchisor.
A graduate of the Hanoi Law University, Linh was later awarded a prestigious Fulbright Scholarship to obtain an LLM in the United States from the Franklin Pierce Law Center (now the University of New Hampshire School of Law).
Linh is a licensed IP agent and a qualified lawyer of the Hanoi Bar Association. She serves on the executive board of the Vietnam Intellectual Property Association (VIPA) and is a member of VIPA’s International Cooperation Committee. She is also a member of INTA’s Right of Publicity Committee.
- Secured the successful registration in Vietnam of a globally famous mark used for household goods that had become genericised in other jurisdictions.
- Represented and advised one of the world’s top luxury brands in securing one of the first registrations of a three-dimensional mark in Vietnam for its iconic packaging.
- Successfully opposed the registration of multiple trademarks that were confusingly similar to the marks of an international tobacco company.
- Represented and advised a leading U.S.-based multinational corporation in rehabilitating a trademark from becoming generic and successfully opposing a similar mark.
- Represented, advised, and managed the trademark portfolio in Vietnam of a German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical corporation.
Intellectual Property 2023 – Band 2
- “She is very responsive, experienced and can meet clients' expectations.”
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2023 – Next Generation Partner
- “She provides high quality services and has in-depth knowledge on all trademark matters, including filing and prosecuting trademark applications, handling oppositions, as well as invalidation and cancellation actions.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Intellectual Property 2024 – Distinguished Practitioner
Managing Intellectual Property
Intellectual Property 2023 – IP Star for 7 consecutive years
Top 250 Women in IP 2023 – Top 250 Women in IP for 4 consecutive years
Trademarks 2023 – Gold Band for 4 consecutive years
World IP Review Leaders
Intellectual Property 2022 – Ranked Lawyer for 3 consecutive years