- LL.B. (Hons), University of London (1981)
- Barrister-at-law, Gray's Inn (1982)
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Admitted to the Bar of England and Wales (1982)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (1983)
Morris is a Consultant in Drew & Napier’s Intellectual Property Department. He joined Drew & Napier in 1983 and became a partner in 1989. He had been a director since Drew & Napier LLC corporatised on 1 May 2001.
Morris is often named in leading publications. Recently, he was selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers Singapore 2021 in the field of Intellectual Property, the thirteenth consecutive year since the survey started in 2008. Morris is also recommended by the Practical Law Company Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2012 for Intellectual Property work and Asia IP Experts 2016 for Trade Mark and IP Litigation work. Chambers Asia-Pacific has ranked Morris in Band 1 for Intellectual Property since 2007. In 2020, Morris was recognized as a Senior Statesman by Chambers Asia-Pacific for seven consecutive years since 2014. He offers “a terrifically knowledgeable and supportive approach to clients who say they would not hesitate to instruct him”. He is listed in the International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers from 2008 to 2015 as a pre-eminent Intellectual Property practitioner. Morris is also listed in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2009/2010 Edition as a leading individual for 9 consecutive years.
Morris has extensive litigation experience. Some of the cases he has handled include:
- Successfully represented Sennheiser Electronic GmbH & Co KG in the latter’s anti counterfeiting matters.
- Represented Dor-Ware Resources Pte Ltd who was sued for design infringement and successfully getting the design revoked.
- Represented Pfizer Pte Ltd in a trade mark infringement action against a pharmacist resulting in a two-month conviction against the pharmacist.
- A claim by V-Pile technology (Luxembourg) S.A. in respect of an alleged patent infringement by a local company.
- Representation of Creative Technology Ltd in a copyright infringement action against Aztech Systems Ltd.
Intellectual Property 2021 – Senior Statesman for 8 consecutive years (Recommended for 14 years in total)
“Morris John is a longstanding and respected IP lawyer with extensive experience in patent, trade mark and copyright infringement litigation. He also frequently assists clients with patent registrations.”
Consultant Morris John has “a vast body of experience advising on patent litigation and trade mark infringements.”
“…a seasoned IP practitioner who is highly reputed in patent litigation along with passing-off and trade mark infringement disputes. He also assists with patent registrations.”
“An important member of the IP group. Assists clients with complex IP disputes and patent registration.”
Who’s Who Legal
Trade Marks 2008-2015 – Recommended Lawyer for 8 consecutive years
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Intellectual Property 2021 – Endorsed Individual for 13 consecutive years
Intellectual Property 2015/2016 – Lawyer of the Year
World IP Review
Intellectual Property 2017 – Leading Practitioner
Asia IP Experts
Patents, Trade Mark, Copyright and Litigation 2016 – Leading Individual
- Immediate Past President, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property – Singapore Group
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Asian Patent Attorneys Association