- MM, Chulalongkorn University
- LLB, Chulalongkorn University
- BA, Thammasat University
Somboon Earterasarun is a partner in the Tilleke & Gibbins’ intellectual property group. He has extensive experience handling a diverse range of IP matters across various Southeast Asian countries and beyond. Somboon is well known for his vast knowledge of IP protection, and he has presented on the topic to numerous organizations based in ASEAN. He is also an expert in formulating strategies for the successful management of worldwide trademark portfolios as well as employing customized techniques for protecting and enforcing clients’ trademark rights on a global basis. He specializes in international trademark registrations, licensing, assignments, copyright recordal, software recordal, and in reviewing and constructing distributorship contracts.
Somboon has long been recognized as one of the region’s leading intellectual property practitioners. He was named one of Asia’s top 40 lawyers under 40 by Thomson Reuters publication Asian Legal Business in 2015, and he regularly appears in annual rankings from publications such as The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Managing IP, World Trademark Review, and World IP Review.
Somboon represents several Thai corporations (private and public) in investing and protecting their trademarks in both domestic and overseas markets. He also devotes much time to teaching Thai entrepreneurs about the importance of intellectual property rights. Somboon is an active member of the Intellectual Property Association of Thailand (IPAT), the Association of European Trademark Owners (MARQUES), ASEAN Intellectual Property Association (AIPA), and Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA), and is a qualified Patent Agent certified by the Department of Intellectual Property.
- Manage the global trademark portfolio for one of Thailand’s leading beverage producers. This involved management of trademark registration, opposition, and cancellation on behalf of the client in 40 countries worldwide.
- Represented a food manufacturer in carrying out an international raid in Laos against trademark violations by local retailers and coordinated with local authorities to carry out the raid, seize all counterfeit products, and destroy them.
- Secured a preliminary injunction against an infringing trademark in Israel at the Israel Court of First Instance.
- Secured a preliminary injunction order by the Dusseldorf Court to prohibit the use of the infringing mark at the ANUGA Fair in Cologne, Germany.
- Collaborated with government authorities to seize two containers of infringing products at the Ho Chi Minh port.
- Overcame a U.S. Trademark Examiner’s refusal to register the clients’ mark.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2023 – Leading Individual for 7 consecutive years
- “Somboon Earterasarun is highly competent, professional, diligent, and responsive. He is very pleasant to work with.”
Trademarks 2023 – Silver Band for 4 consecutive years
IAM Patent 1000
Intellectual Property 2023 – Silver Band for 2 consecutive years
World IP Review Leaders
Intellectual Property 2023 – Ranked Lawyer for 8 consecutive years
IP Experts 2023 – IP Expert for 3 consecutive years