- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1995)
- LL.M. Cambridge University (1998)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1996)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (2000) (Non- practising)
Steven is the Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice.
His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. He has extensive experience in both private and public merger and acquisition transactions in Singapore and the region, having acted for bidders, target companies and financial advisers in such transactions.
A versatile individual with a wide range of expertise, Steven has also represented issuers, underwriters and selling shareholders in a variety of domestic and international capital markets transactions.
Steven has been noted in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a "highly experienced corporate/M&A lawyer", for "providing solid advice" and for "understanding commercial issues and realities". Steven was involved in the Asian Legal Business (ALB) Singapore Deal of the Year and Singapore M&A Deal of the Year (2008) for the takeover and tender offer for STATS ChipPac Ltd by Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd and the ALB Singapore M&A Deal of the Year (2010) for the takeover offer by PetroChina International (Singapore) Pte Ltd for Singapore Petroleum Company Limited. More recently, he was involved in the ALB SE Asia Legal Awards 2018 M&A Deal of the Year (Premium) and Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards 2018 M&A Deal of the Year: Southeast Asia for the Privatisation of Global Logistic Properties as well as the Singapore Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (SVCA) PE Deal of the Year 2017 for the acquisition of Innovalues by NorthStar.
- Acted for Evercore Asia (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., the independent financial adviser to the directors of Global Logistic Properties Limited (GLP), in relation to the acquisition by Nesta Investment Holdings Limited of all the issued shares in the capital of GLP by way of a scheme of arrangement. This acquisition is valued at approximately S$16 billion and is Asia's largest private equity buyout transaction. Asialaw Regional Awards 2019 - Editor's choice impact deals of the year; ALB SE Asia Legal Awards 2018 - M&A Deal of the Year (Premium); and Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards 2018 - M&A Deal of the Year: Southeast Asia
- Advised The Straits Trading Company Limited in connection with the competitive bids by The Cairns Pte. Ltd. and Knowledge Two Investment Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Asia Pacific Breweries Limited (APB) on its acquisition of Heineken NV’s assets in Indonesia and New Caledonia and the concurrent sale by APB to Heineken NV of its assets in India
- Advised Singapore Petroleum Company Limited in connection with PetroChina International (Singapore) Pte. Ltd’s takeover bid and subsequent compulsory acquisition. ALB Singapore M&A Deal of the Year 2010
- Acted for Innovalues in the acquisition by Northstar of all the issued shares in SGX-listed Innovalues Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement (S$331.4 million). SVCA PE Deal of the Year 2017
Chambers Asia Pacific
Corporate/M&A 2020 – Leading Lawyer
- "Steven Lo assists companies with M&A and joint venture formation and is particularly active on matters in the technology space."
- "Steven Lo wins effusive praise from clients who say: 'His knowledge and experience with public M&A is second to none,' and describe him as someone who 'walks you through issues succinctly whilst finding the pragmatic and commercially sensible solution.' He is well equipped to advise both bidders and targets, as well as financial advisers."
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Corporate and M&A 2020 - Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Projects & Energy 2016 - Recommended Lawyer
- “Steven Lo has 'a razor-sharp ability to comprehend not just the technical structure but also the commercial dynamics of a takeover' and 'can steer clients in the right strategic direction'.”
- Steven is also noted as a "highly experienced corporate/M&A lawyer", for "providing solid advice" and for "understanding commercial issues and realities".
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Corp/M&A 2019 - Highly regarded
- “Understands client's needs, addresses issues incisively and shows a breadth of experience in handling matters.”
“Personable and able to deliver practical advice expediently. Quiet confidence blended with a sense of knowing what is important and what is negotiable.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate and M&A 2020 – Distinguished Practitioner
- Clients commend Steven Lo as “experienced, knowledgeable, patient, quiet confidence, approachable and consultative.”
- He is also noted as “responsive, practical, relevant, broad and strategic.”
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Mergers and Acquisitions 2021 – Endorsed individual
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Co-authored the Singapore Chapter to the Global Legal Insights to Mergers & Acquisitions, 6th Edtion published by Global Legal Group Ltd
- Contributed the Singapore Chapter to World Stock Exchanges: A Practical Guide (2006) published by Globe Law & Business, Globe Business Publishing
- A contributing editor to Corporate Finance (Chapters F&G) of Woon’s Corporation Law (2006) published by LexisNexis