- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2000)
- Duke University School of Law (1999)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (2001)
- Attorney-at-Law, New York (2004)
With almost 20 years of experience across China and Southeast Asia, Tju Liang is an accomplished lawyer with a deep understanding of the commercial drivers and legal structuring of cross-border relationships in this region. He is a versatile lawyer who represents corporates, private equity houses and venture capital funds on a multitude of complex cross-border transactions, and seamlessly combines industry experience and legal acumen to “get the deal done”.
Tju Liang is active in the Singapore startup ecosystem, having worked on some of the most significant exits in Singapore. He has particular expertise in the legal and regulatory aspects of fintech, blockchain, and cryptocurrencies, and leads our Blockchain & Digital Assets practice.
He currently serves as the General Counsel of the Ethereum Foundation, the global non-profit organisation that promotes and supports the Ethereum cryptocurrency.
In addition, Tju Liang also has a deep knowledge of the energy and natural resources industry, including oil & gas--specific transactions such as LNG and crude oil sales agreements, drilling services agreements, JOAs and PSCs.
Tju Liang returned to Drew & Napier in 2019, after over a decade practicing internationally, including most recently as a partner of a top “white shoe” U.S. law firm. He speaks fluent business Mandarin, and was previously based in London, Jakarta and Shanghai.
Some of the more significant matters Tju Liang has handled include advising:
- Payfazz in its S$77 million Series B round, led by B Capital and Insignia Ventures. This deal was completed in the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Ant Financial on its participation in the S$118 million Series C investment round in M-Daq, a startup launched by veterans from the FX industry. This round made M-Daq the top funded fintech startup in Singapore; other investors included EDB investments.
- Luxola (an online cosmetics store) in its successful multi-million exit and sale to LVMH
- Cargill on its joint venture with Jollibee Foods Corporation, including construction of the largest poultry plant in the Philippines and long-term supply arrangements. This deal was among the largest joint ventures for the Philippines in 2016, and was one of the first transactions under the Philippine Competition Act.
- Goldman Sachs SSG, Apollo, ARCM and IFC on a US$340 million senior secured loan facility (with farm-in and royalty rights) to Niko Resources, a TSX-listed company with oil and gas properties in India (D6 Block), Indonesia, Bangladesh and other emerging markets.
- Equis Funds Group on the acquisition of a 47 percent interest in Runfar Gas (and option to provide further growth capital), a developer and operator of natural gas distribution assets in China, including four operational and six late-stage construction gas pipelines across five provinces in China supplying piped natural gas to residential, industrial and commercial customers.
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Energy and Infrastructure, M&A 2020 — Rising Star
Named as an “Up and Coming Individual”
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Identified as a “Recommended Lawyer”
- Clients complimented his “exceptional negotiation skills”, and praised him as “clearly a really smart guy”.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Fellow, Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS)
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- General Counsel, Ethereum Foundation
- Chambers Global Practice Guide: Blockchain 2020 (Singapore Chapter)
- “Risk Management in Acquisitions of Publicly Listed Companies”, China Dealmaker
- “Structuring and Negotiating M&A Transactions in China”, Best Practices for Mergers & Acquisitions in China: Leading Lawyers on Understanding Changing Laws and Trends, Navigating the Review and Approval Process, and Identifying the Key Steps in a Successful M&A Transaction (Inside the Minds)