Datin Grace C.G Yeoh
Head, Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
Private Wealth & Family Business
- LL.B, London School of Economics
- LL.M, University of London
- Barrister-at-Law, Middle Temple
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- CFP (Certified Financial Planner)
Mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, takeovers, security dealings, corporate restructuring, joint ventures, demergers, listings, corporate exercises as well as general corporate planning work. Datin Grace Yeoh has assisted key banking players on their incorporation within the local banking industry as well as Malaysian companies investing overseas. She advises on regulatory compliance, corporate governance and inbound foreign investments in addition to private wealth and family business matters.
She oversees transactions involving Energy, Natural Resources and Green Technology (ENRGT) projects and their related joint ventures, licensing, operation, management and other associated agreements. Her work includes assisting clients in liaising with regulatory authorities such as the Ministry of Energy, Green Technology and Water as well as other ministries and authorities.
Datin Grace Yeoh currently sits on the Board of Directors of CIMB Bank Berhad and Bursa Malaysia Berhad, the listed operator of Bursa Malaysia, the Malaysian stock exchange.
- Malaysian advisers to Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (“INCJ”) in its investment in edotco Group Sdn Bhd via a subscription of up to 546,539,249 ordinary Shares of RM1.00 each in edotco Group Sdn Bhd at a cash consideration of up to USD400.00 million. This was 2016’s Largest Global Tower Sector Equity Private Placement Deal of USD600 Million with Khazanah Nasional Berhad agreeing to invest the balance USD200 million for primary and secondary edotco Shares respectively. This equity raising exercise set a new benchmark as the largest global tower sector private placement in 2016. INCJ is a Japanese public-private investment company whilst Khazanah is the strategic investment fund of the Government of Malaysia.
- Malaysian advisers to Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. in its acquisition of the trademark rights of the DUNLOP brand overseas and the sporting goods and licensing businesses of the DUNLOP brand (including the indirect acquisition of Dunlop Slazenger (Far East) Sdn Bhd) from Sports Direct International plc.
- United Malacca Berhad entered into a conditional share purchase agreement with Lincoln Wilshire Investments Ltd (a BVI company) for the acquisition of 83.0% effective equity interest in PT LIFERE AGRO KAPUAS (“LAK”), an Indonesian company via an acquisition of 793,837 ordinary shares representing 88.2% equity interest of the issued and paid-up share capital of International Natural Resources Pte Ltd (“INR”), a Singapore company, which in turn holds approximately 94.1% equity interest in LAK. LAK holds plantation licences over approximately 24,585 hectares of oil palm plantation located in Mantangai district, Kapuas Barat district, Dadahup district and Kapuas Murung district, Kapuas Regency, Kalimantan Tengah, Republic of Indonesia and have an Izin Lokasi over approximately 350 hectares of land. The proposed acquisition includes 350ha for a refinery and bulking station located in Kalimantan Tengah. Other agreements entered into included Shareholders Agreements in respect of INR and LAK as well as an Escrow Agreement. We acted for United Malacca Berhad.
- Sales and Purchase Agreement (SPA) with the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany to purchase land for a price of RM259.16 million. Formerly the official residence of the German Ambassador to Malaysia until June 2013, this land will be added to the existing land bank of the Purchaser for the purpose of multi-storey development. We acted for Legasi Azam Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MRCB Land Sdn Bhd.
- DyDo DRINCO acquired 49% of the outstanding shares of MDD Beverage Sdn. Bhd., a manufacturing company that is part of Mamee’s beverage business as well as 51% of the outstanding shares of Milk Specialities Distribution Sdn. Bhd., a sales company that was also part of Mamee’s beverage business. DyDo DRINCO also entered into joint venture agreements in the 2 companies with a subsidiary of Mamee Double Decker (M) Sdn. Bhd in respect of MDD Beverage Sdn. Bhd and Mamee Double Decker(M) Sdn. Bhd in respect of Milk Specialities Distribution Sdn. Bhd. This represents an inbound investment by a Japanese company into the food and beverage sector in Malaysia and co-operation between Malaysian and Japanese companies. The companies and DyDo DRINCO also entered into various other agreements to govern contract manufacturing and other matters. We acted for DyDo DRINCO, INC.
- Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad signed a sale and purchase agreement with Cardiac Vascular Sentral (Kuala Lumpur) Sdn. Bhd. (formerly known as Kl Cardiac And Vascular Centre Sdn. Bhd.) for the sale of Sooka Sentral for RM90.8 million before accounting for the Goods and Services Tax. Sooka Sentral consists of a five-storey commercial building and one level of car park on a 5,662 sq m land. The cardiac and vascular centre will complement the KL Sentral central business district's (CBD) "Live, Work and Play" integrated concept. On completion, the building was slated to house a 70-plus bed cardiac and vascular hospital providing a comprehensive range of cardiology, cardiothoracic, vascular diagnostic and therapeutic services. We acted for Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad.
- We acted as counsel for the sellers of the entire paid up capital of True Renaissance Development Sdn. Bhd., the developer of the Empire Remix 1 and Empire Remix 2 projects, which are part of the new Empire City. Sale of True Renaissance Development Sdn. Bhd. by 2 individuals.
- We acted as Malaysian counsel to the Delivery Hero SE group of companies in relation to their joint venture with QSR Brands (M) Holdings Bhd in respect of on-demand delivery service provider Foodpanda following the memorandum of agreement that was entered into between the parties.
Asia Law Portal
One of 30 people to watch in the business of law in Asia (2020 edition)
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers for 2 consecutive years (2019-2020)
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate/M&A - Elite Practitioner for 2 consecutive years (2020-2021); Market Leading Lawyer from 2017 to 2019; Leading Lawyer from 2014 to 2016; and Recommended Lawyer in 2013
Energy & Natural Resources - Market Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years (2017-2019); Leading Lawyer from 2015 to 2016
Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards
Recognised as Managing Partner of the Year in 2018
Corporate/M&A - Band 2 for 11 consecutive years (2010-2020)
- A client comments: "She is a commercial, practical, attentive and responsive lawyer. She is effective and efficient and does not waste time." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
- One impressed client notes: "She outlines the legal issues and their implications, and then we are free to make a commercial decision.” - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- She is especially adept in "high-level strategic issues," according to sources. - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
- "Experienced and analytical" practitioner Grace Yeoh heads the firm's corporate division and offers a wealth of expertise in M&A and corporate governance issues. - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016
Corporate/M&A - Band 2 for 11 consecutive years (2010-2020)
M&A and Women in Business Law - Leading Practitioner for 2 consecutive years (2018-2019)
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Identified as one of IFLR1000’s Women Leaders for 3 consecutive years (2018-2020)
Project Development and M&A - Market Leader for 4 consecutive years (2018-2021)
Energy and Infrastructure and Project Development 2017 - Market Leader
Energy: Project Development - Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years (2014-2016)
- “Grace is an extremely well-regarded and leading practitioner in the M&A sphere.” - IFLR1000 2018
- “Grace is highly regarded for her work in the M&A area. She is knowledgeable, responsive and easy to work with.” - IFLR1000 2018
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Highlighted in the Hall of Fame in 2020
Corporate/M&A - Leading Individual for 11 consecutive years (2010-2020)
Projects and Energy - Recommended Lawyer for 7 consecutive years (2014-2020)
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Financial Planning Association of Malaysia (FPAM)
- Member, Corporate and Commercial Law Committee of the Malaysian Bar
- Member, International Professional Services Committee of the Malaysian Bar
- Director, CIMB Bank Berhad
- Director, Bursa Malaysia Berhad
- Malaysian and Singapore Company Law and Practice, CCH
- Getting the Deal Through - Insolvency and Restructuring, and Global M&A
- M&A practice guides, Chambers & Partners, 1st Edition, 2012