Drew Network Asia’s (DNA) Private Wealth team is proud to serve Asia’s leading business families. We are distinguished by our bespoke, multi-disciplinary, and multi-jurisdictional approach in advising on wealth management, succession and protection planning. Our singular focus is to provide sound solutions – for today and the future.
The DNA team is culturally sensitive to Asian wealth philosophies and our legal solutions reflect this. We firmly believe that family values are created through generations of sound relationships and not through legal and trust structures.
We sensitively support our clients’ vision and aspirations through sustained engagements with their successors and beneficiaries to promote a common vision. We are completely independent of any financial institutions and are fiercely loyal to our clients’ best interest.
We are highly experienced in handling family business disputes across multi-jurisdictions and we understand the intricacies of familial relationships. We take pride in knowing our clients personally and we understand the wishes of the founders.
Our Private Wealth practice offers family businesses, individuals and family offices the full range of services in four key areas:
Establishment and Structuring
- Risk Analysis against Wealth Dilution and Leakages
- Bespoke Trusts & Foundations for succession and protection planning
- Strategies for separation of Business Successions vs Wealth Successions
- Intra-family Settlements and assets division
- Intra-family Dispute Resolution
- High Risk Matrimonial Protection and Planning
- Family Business and Corporate Restructuring
- Structure reorganisation for tax and financial efficiency and compliance
- Offshore structures reassessment for modern compliance
- Permanent Establishment Risk Management
Family Offices Services
- Establishment including application for incentives
- Next-generation continuing engagement programmes
- Governance strategies and advisory to Family Offices and Foundations
Ong Sim HoManaging Director, Corporate & Finance / Director, Tax & Private Client Services
Julian KwekCo-Head, Corporate Restructuring & Workouts / Co-Head, Indonesia Group
Hilton KingPartner / Mergers & Acquisition / Private Wealth
Yohanes MasengiPartner / General Corporate / Private Wealth / Healthcare & Science / Transportation
Yee Mei KenPartner / Dispute Resolution / Private Wealth & Family Business / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Arbitration & Mediation / China Desk
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Chambers High Net Worth
Private Wealth Law 2020 – Leading firm for 5 consecutive years
- Clients described the team as “very, very professional in their approach” with “very good, solid reputation" in the local market.
- “Very versatile” and “very in-tune with the industry, and with what the clients, banks and trust companies are thinking; you have a melting pot of experience there.”
- “They are a good firm, they have a good name, and they can be relied on. They're very dependable.”
- “I think the quality is very high; it's excellent. They are very liked by their clients, they're trustworthy and very up-to-date on what's happening. They understand from the trustees' point of view what they need and what's going on. I also think their regulatory framework is a lot stronger than that of other firms. When there are any changes in rules and regulations, they're first on it too.
Private Wealth Law 2020 Indonesia (Expertise based abroad)
Julian Kwek – Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years
- Chambers says, “Julian Kwek's practice is broad-ranging, and includes private equity, cross-border M&A and joint venture matters. He works with both Indonesian clients and wealthy inward investors”.
- “Julian Kwek helps high net worth families to reorganise offshore holding structures and businesses, as well as assisting with immigration and citizenship applications. He also advises on tax efficiency and complying with the Common Reporting Standard.”
Tax 2021 – Leading firm for 12 consecutive years
Ong Sim Ho – Band 1 Leading Individual for 11 years
- “Very experienced team. The lawyers are also accountants, so they are familiar with the financial workings. They are knowledgeable and you don't have to explain much.”
- “They are professional and highly responsive, even on small matters.”
- One market commentator notes: “They are a very strong dispute resolution firm, not just in tax disputes. They continue to do well in this space.”
- “When auditors are questioning and matters are urgent, we can always call them for detailed legal advice.”
- “They are spot-on in providing us with relevant tax advice.”
- “They are well connected and successful in the marketplace. I appreciate their legal updates and occasional seminars, which are very useful.”
- “The work was exceptional - timely, thorough and fairly priced.”
- “They can articulate clearly complex tax concepts.”
- Ong Sim Ho wins a lot of praise for his flexible approach and depth of knowledge in the tax area, with one client emphasising: “The most important thing is his technical understanding and how creative he is. No one in Singapore can cut through the issues like him. He is very, very strong.”
Restructuring/Insolvency 2021 – Band 1 for 14 consecutive years
Julian Kwek – Leading Individual for 11 consecutive years
- Julian Kwek has “impressed us with his work ethic and his extensive knowledge of Indonesia.”
- Julian Kwek is “a deal maker, with a China and Indonesia focus.”
- A client notes Julian Kwek’s “uncanny ability to look beyond just the legal side of things and can point out the commercial implications of a particular course of action.”
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Tax 2021 – Leading firm for 15 consecutive years
Ong Sim Ho – Leading Individual for 12 years
- The team is “very responsive, quick on the uptake and provides in-depth and relevant legal advice that works in real life”.
- “Its lawyers have sharp business acumen and provide commercially practical advice.”
- Ong Sim Ho is described as a “tax lynchpin” at the Singapore tax bar, and he is recommended for his “critical thinking”, “analytic skills” and "truly superior knowledge".
Private Wealth 2021 – Tier 1 for 5 consecutive years
Ong Sim Ho – Recommended Lawyer
Seah Ching Ling – Next Generation Partner
- The team garnered praise for its “excellent response times and great service informed by deep industry knowledge.”
- Sim Ho is “able to bring in his legal, finance, risk governance, and accounting perspectives to assist on various private client matter."
- Ching Ling is “very experienced and knowledgeable in the area of trusts, taxation, and charities.”
- “She provides very pragmatic advice and does not over-complicate matters.”
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Tier 1 for 10 consecutive years
Julian Kwek – Recommended Lawyer for 6 consecutive years
Projects and Energy 2021 – Tier 2 for 10 consecutive years
Ong Sim Ho – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Julian Kwek – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (2019 to 2020)
Julian Kwek – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
- Clients described Julian Kwek as “absolutely first-class”, “committed and professional” with the “uncanny ability to look beyond the legal aspects and provide invaluable advice on commercial implications.”
- Julian Kwek is “outstanding in developing and implementing effective and creative strategies” that have produced successful results in situations that seemed hopeless at the start.
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Asialaw Profiles and Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate/M&A 2021 – Highly Recommended law firm for 7 consecutive years (2014 to 2021)
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Elite Practitioner (2019-2021) and Market Leading Lawyer (2017-2018)
Lia Alizia – Distinguished Practitioner (2019-2021)
Vincent Ariesta Lie – Rising Star Lawyer (2018-2019, 2021)
- “Advanced knowledge in the Indonesian energy sector and precise advice for corporate documents.”
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
M&A 2021 – Tier 2 law firm for 7 consecutive years (2014 to 2021)
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Highly Regarded Lawyers for 3consecutive years (2017-2020)
Lina Amran – Highly Regarded Lawyers for 3consecutive years (2017-2020)
Kurniawan Tanzil – Highly Regarded Lawyers for 3consecutive years (2017-2020)
Vincent Ariesta Lie – Highly Regarded Lawyers for 2 consecutive years (2019-2020); previously a Notable Practitioner (2018)
Lia Alizia – Highly Regarded Lawyers (2020); previously a Rising Star (2019)
- “Excellent Jakarta-based law firm. Very responsive and collaborate in multi-jurisdictional teams very well.”
- “They are reliable and provide excellent technical and practical advice in a difficult jurisdiction. They advise us on a broad range of issues including dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, employment law and transaction work in Indonesia.”
Asia Business Law Journal
Lia Alizia – Listed as one of the A-List/Top 100 Indonesian Lawyers (2018-2020)
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Listed as one of the A-List/Top 100 Indonesian Lawyers (2018-2020)
Vincent Ariesta Lie – Listed as one of the A-List/Top 100 Indonesian Lawyers (2018-2020)
Kurniawan Tanzil – Listed as one of the A-List/Top 100 Indonesian Lawyers (2018-2019)
Hilton King recently returned to legal practice with Makarim & Taira S. after 8 years as General Counsel with an Indonesian family private equity business, which invested in a diverse range of businesses. He first commenced legal practice in Indonesia 1989 and is among Indonesia’s most experienced commercial legal practitioners. Hilton King’s recognitions (in prior years) include being named by:
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific as a Leading Individual in Corporate / M&A, and Projects and Energy
- Asialaw as Leading Lawyer for General Corporate Practice
- IFLR 1000’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers as a Leading lawyer
- Global Counsel 3000 as a Recommended Company and Corporate Transactions Practitioner in Indonesia
- Chambers Asia (Indonesian chapter) as a Band 1 Leading Individual in the sector of Projects & Natural Resources
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Chambers High Net Worth
Private Wealth Law 2020 – Band 1 Firm
Goh Ka Im – Leading Individual
- The firm is “excellent at bonds and trusts.” It is also noted for its tax expertise.
- Goh Ka Im heads the department and is the key contact. She is “excellent at trust opinions,” and she regularly handles legal matters for high net worth individuals and families.
Tax 2020 – Band 1 for 11 consecutive years (2009-2020)
Goh Ka Im – Leading Individual for 11 consecutive years (2009-2020)
- “Leading tax group, widely sought after by clients for its wealth of experience across the spectrum of tax matters.”
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Band 1 for 11 consecutive years (2009-2020)
Yee Mei Ken – Leading Individual
- One client praises its "great team," commending their "excellent research work, written submissions and the manner in which they prepare for, and argue in, hearings."
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Tax 2020 – Top Tier Firm for Tax for 13 consecutive years (2007-2020)
Goh Ka Im – Leading Individual in Tax for 2 consecutive year (2019 & 2020), previously Recommended Lawyer in Tax for 8 consecutive years (2010-2018)
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Top Tier for 11 consecutive years
Yee Mei Ken – Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution for 2 consecutive years and previously Recommended Lawyer in Dispute Resolution for 3 consecutive years