- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1998)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1999)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (2004)
Gary is a Director in the Corporate & Finance practice.
He has practised in Singapore and the PRC and his experience covers a board range of corporate and commercial work including cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic investments and restructurings in Asia.
He previously practised at a leading international law firm, leading cross-border transactions across the region, in Hong Kong, Indonesia and Vietnam.
He has represented multinational corporations in their strategic investments as well as major financial institutions in their acquisitions in the financial services sector.
Gary was commended under the ‘Local Firm’ category for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 in 2016.
Gary’s headline transactional experience includes:
- Advising Evergreen Investment Holdings Pte. Ltd. on its acquisition of an interest in a South Natuna Gas Field through the provision of a US$25 million convertible loan from Evergreen Investment Holdings Pte. Ltd. and Eden Capital Pte. Ltd.
- Advising SoftBank on its investment in a new equity funding round for Grab Taxi (Southeast Asia's leading online transportation and payments platform and Uber's biggest rival in the region). Softbank and China's Didi Chuxing (the world’s leading one-stop mobile transportation platform) were the lead investors in the US$2.5 billion funding round, the largest single financing in Southeast Asia.
- Advising SoftBank on its investment in a new equity funding round for an online transportation platform similar to Grab in India.
- Advising Temasek on Singapore consortium arrangements with Hosen Capital and New Hope for the S$1 billion acquisition of VIP Petfoods from Quadrant Private Equity.
- Advising Standard Chartered on its investment of up to USD75 million in COFCO International Limited, an SPV established to hold COFCO’s investments in Nidera Capital B.V. and Noble Group Limited.
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Corporate/M&A 2016 – Recommended Lawyer
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law