The Drew Network Asia Funds Law Practice draws together the highly qualified and experienced funds law teams from three of the most recognised and reputable firms in the ASEAN region: Drew & Napier LLC (Singapore), Makarim & Taira S. (Indonesia) and Shearn Delamore & Co (Malaysia).
We pride ourselves on our responsiveness, practical and client-focused solutions, and providing clients with pragmatic solutions within the respective ASEAN jurisdictions.
We act for funds-related clients from across all industry sectors. We are well-versed with regulatory requirements and are experienced in all aspects of funds, funds management and private equity and venture capital-related transactions, from structuring to negotiating, documenting and implementing. We have extensive experience in the funds industry and deep expertise on the regulatory treatment of funds and their managers, and are constantly alert to potential issues and trends in structuring funds transactions to ensure that our clients obtain the most cost-efficient, effective and innovative legal solutions.
We advise clients on the establishment of both onshore and offshore alternative investment funds including hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and real estate funds, as well as regulatory matters on establishing fund management presence in the various jurisdictions.
As part of our practice, we advise clients on the provision of other types of securities-related regulated activities such as financial advisory services, trust businesses, securities offerings, dealings in securities, cryptocurrencies, and other related areas which often dovetail with fund management activities.
Petrus HuangCo-Head, Investment Funds / Director, Corporate & Finance
Ron ChengCo-Head, Investment Funds / Director, Corporate & Finance
Frederick Bonar SimanjuntakPartner / General Corporate / Private Wealth / Healthcare & Life Sciences / Transportation
Christina S. C. KowPartner / Head, Financial Services / Personal Data Protection & Privacy Law / Technology, Media & Telco
Singapore | Drew & Napier
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Investment Funds 2020 – Leading firm for 4 consecutive years
Petrus Huang - Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years
Ron Cheng - Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
- Sources say the team comprises "Knowledgeable, professional, and dedicated" corporate lawyers.
- The team is "well versed in the local regulatory requirements as well as foreign market standards".
- The team is commended for being “excellent”, “flexible” and “responsive”, and the firm is also "well connected within the fund industry in Singapore, South-East Asia and beyond."
- A client notes that the team is "always responsive and commercial and can handle the straight-forward matters as well as the more complex", praises the team as a "go-to firm for all Singapore funds work".
- Petrus Huang and Ron Cheng, who stand out for their "experience and knowledge", are strong in all aspects of funds management and private equity transactions together with regulatory regimes and related tax issues.
- A client notes Petrus Huang as “friendly and supportive;” Ron Cheng is praised for being “highly accessible and responsive.”
- Ron Cheng also specialises in the structuring and listing of funds, "manages a good team" and "always delivers well thought out practical advice".
Investment Funds 2021 – Leading firm for 14 consecutive years
Petrus Huang - Leading Lawyer for 11 consecutive years
- The team "is extremely proficient and professional in the investment management industry with thorough knowledge of the Securities and Futures Act as well as the most up-to-date trends and practices in regulatory compliance."
- The team "will carefully consider the client's situation and offer custom commercially-viable solutions rather than template churning which might not be suited to the scenario."
- “The firm has an excellent depth of knowledge and strong bench. They are responsive and commercial.”
- The department is known for its dedication and responsiveness, as well as its commercial outlook and focus on achieving the best solutions for its clients. The team wins praise for the quality of the work, with one client remarking: "They are efficient, dedicated to their clients, enjoyable and easy to do business with."
- "They give us practical solutions and have a good commercial sense. They are clear with the law and explain to us what is needed."
- Petrus Huang is well regarded for his investment funds expertise and his "extensive and comprehensive understanding of the regulatory regime in Singapore."
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Petrus Huang - Notable Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
- Sources say: “Superb response and turnaround time; very good knowledge and understanding of the brief; easy to communicate and always available to discuss; very good fee structure; and approachable partners and associates.”
- “Very high level of legal services of all kinds, as required by public companies and fund managers.”
- A client noted that Petrus Huang is "extremely knowledgeable in legal, commercial and corporate, technology, etc.," and he is a "great team player."
- Ron Cheng is praised for being “Highly professional, responsive and knowledgeable.”
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Leading publications and rating agencies have yet to introduce rankings in respect of Funds legal practice in Indonesia.
Makarim & Taira S. is noted to be a top tier firm across multiple legal practice areas by such leading publications and rating agencies. Kurniawan Tanzil and Frederick Simanjuntak are the leading lawyers in the practice area of financial services.
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Leading publications and rating agencies have yet to introduce rankings in respect of Funds legal practice in Malaysia.
Shearn Delamore & Co is noted to be a top tier firm across multiple legal practice areas by such leading publications and rating agencies. Its Head of Financial Services Practices, Ms Christina Kow, is a leading lawyer in the practice area of Funds.