- LLM, Université Montpellier 1
- LLB, Hanoi Law University
Loc Xuan Le is a principal in T&G Law Firm LLC (TGVN), a licensed law firm and IP agent that partners with Tilleke & Gibbins for litigation and local IP filings in Vietnam. Loc leads the firm’s dispute resolution and litigation practice in Vietnam and is a passionate defender of clients’ rights in commercial and IP disputes.
Over the course of his legal career, Loc has secured several groundbreaking wins in patent litigation cases for major international pharmaceutical and agrochemical companies. In 2014, he obtained the highest award of attorney’s fees in the history of Vietnam on behalf of a U.S. ink cartridge printer company, a case that was named Case of the Year for Southeast Asia by Managing IP magazine.
With over 15 years of experience in IP enforcement, Loc is recognised as a leading IP attorney by Chambers Asia- Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, WTR 1000, and IAM Patent 1000, and has been praised by clients and peers as “a powerhouse of energy and enthusiasm” and “one of the best lawyers in trademark enforcement in Vietnam” in Managing IP magazine’s IP Stars.
Loc has cultivated strong relationships with Vietnamese authorities including the court, market control, inspectors, the police, customs, and People’s Committees of various levels. He has organized and overseen raids for leading clients in the pharmaceutical, automotive, high-tech and luxury goods industries and frequently represents clients before the court. He also advises clients on technology transfer, IP licensing, and franchising matters.
Loc sits on the executive board of the Vietnam Intellectual Property Association and is a member of the INTA Unfair Competition Committee and the APAA Design Committee. He also serves as a visiting professor at some of Vietnam’s top universities and regularly publishes on IP and litigation matters.
- Assisted an Indian IT company in successfully negotiating a settlement with a Vietnamese bank in a USD 10 million contract dispute related to the client’s provision of licensed banking software and related support services.
- Advised and assisted a global commodities trader in the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards from the International Cotton Association in several disputes with Vietnamese textile companies over breaches of sales contracts for cotton.
- Won a domain name dispute case at the Ho Chi Minh City Court for a German auto manufacturer. The defendant was required to surrender the disputed domain names, make a public apology, and pay the client’s legal fees. This was the most severe punishment ever dealt out by a Vietnamese court to a cyber-squatter.
- Represented a world-leading ball bearing manufacturer to orchestrate an administrative raid. Approximately ten tons of counterfeit goods were seized. The infringer was then imposed with a record fine.
- Represented a world-leading manufacturer of coding, printing, and laser marking products and won a precedent-setting victory in which the court awarded record attorney’s fees to the plaintiff. Managing Intellectual Property magazine selected the victory as its Case of the Year for Southeast Asia in 2014.
- Represented one of the world’s leading biochemical corporations and secured a victory in a groundbreaking case of patent infringement in which the court agreed to enforce and protect an agrochemical patent for a foreign patentee against a local pesticide producer.
- Assisted a British multinational pharmaceutical company in an unfair competition case involving the use of misleading trade dress by a local competitor. In a rare occurrence, the enforcement body in charge of resolving the case rendered the final conclusion in favour of the client without relying on an expert opinion from the Intellectual Property Office of Vietnam.
Intellectual Property 2023 – Band 1
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2023 – Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Intellectual Property 2023 – Distinguished Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
Managing Intellectual Property
Intellectual Property 2023 – IP Star for 6 consecutive years
Dispute Resolution 2023 – Litigation Star for 5 consecutive years
IAM Patent 1000
Patents 2022 – Ranked Individual for 6 consecutive years
Trademarks 2023 – Gold Band for 4 consecutive years
World IP Review Leaders
Intellectual Property 2022 – Ranked Lawyer for 6 consecutive years
Asia Business Law Journal
A-List 2023 – Vietnam’s Top 100 Lawyers for 3 consecutive years