Arbitration & Litigation
DNA’s dispute resolution practice is renowned as a top practice in the Asia-Pacific region. Our lawyers are recognised for providing effective solutions, strategic advice and decisive legal action. No case is too complex for us. We take pride in guiding and representing our clients through the most challenging and critical disputes, and are dedicated to achieving winning outcomes for our clients no matter the jurisdiction, institution or tribunal.
Our network is ideally positioned to handle the increasing number of cross-border disputes. Our multi-linguistic team of lawyers have represented clients in disputes administered by all major arbitration institutions and the Singapore International Commercial Court. We handle all aspects of arbitral proceedings in the region and beyond, and all stages of court proceedings in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Each year, the aggregate quantum of our matters totals several billion dollars.
We have extensive experience in a diverse range of industries and areas of the law, including banking and finance, building and construction, constitutional law, debt recovery, directors’ duties, fraud and white-collar crime, intellectual property, telecommunications, and media and technology. The matters we handle span a range of governing and procedural laws, from both common law and civil law traditions. This institutional know-how is brought to bear on each of our matters.
We act for and advise Fortune 500 companies, states, government linked entities, high net-worth individuals, multi-national corporations, small to medium-sized enterprises and local organisations, among others. Many of our clients come back to us for further representation.
Our senior counsel and partners are widely regarded as amongst the best in the region. We are frequently instructed by other law firms to act as lead counsel at hearings in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, India, London, Shanghai, and Dubai. In addition to acting as counsel, our lawyers also sit as arbitrators in both commercial and investor-state arbitrations, giving us better perspective of cases.
Cavinder Bull, SCChief Executive Officer
Jimmy Yim, SC, PBMManaging Director, Dispute Resolution
Rahayu Ningsih HoedPartner / Energy / Real Estate / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & litigation / Tax / Investigation & Crisis Management / Crime / Insurance
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Datin Jeyanthini KannaperanPartner / Head, Dispute Resolution / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Arbitration and Mediation
Rabindra S. NathanPartner / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Mediation
- Adam Maniam
- Allister Tan
- Amy Tan
- Andrew Ong
- Benedict Teo
- Blossom Hing
- Chern Yang See
- Christopher Chong
- Daniel Cai
- Don Loo
- Felicia Ang
- Gary Low
- Gerui Lim
- Jared Chen
- Jason Chen
- Jason Goh
- Johnson Loo
- Jonathan Yap
- Kelly Lua
- Kelvin Tan
- Kelvin Teo
- Kevin Lee
- Kong Man Er
- Tan Lee Jane
- Mahesh Rai
- May Jean Lim
- Meryl Koh
- Paras Lalwani
- Teng Po Yew
- Premalatha Silwaraju
- Hoon Shu Mei
- Shumin Lin
- Rakesh Kirpalani
- Randolph Khoo
- Raymond Lam
- Rozalynne Asmali
- Ruby Tham
- Siraj Omar, SC
- Terence Tan
- Tony Yeo
- Woo Shu Yan
- Vikram Ranjan Ramasamy
- Chia Voon Jiet
- Chan Wei Meng
- Wendell Wong
- Alphis Tay
- Tan Yuan Kheng
- Foo Yuet Min
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Asia Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards
International Arbitration Law Firm of the Year 2020 – For the 5th year
Singapore Litigation Law Firm of the Year 2019 – For the 15th year
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Tier 1 for 21 consecutive years
Jimmy Yim, SC – Leading Individual for 19 consecutive years
Cavinder Bull, SC – Leading Individual for 12 consecutive years
Siraj Omar, SC – Leading Individual for 2 years
Adam Maniam – Next Generation Partner
Mahesh Rai – Next Generation Partner
International Arbitration 2020 – Tier 2 for 5 consecutive years
Cavinder Bull, SC – Leading Individual for 8 consecutive years
Jimmy Yim, SC – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Randolph Khoo – Recommended Lawyer for 5 years
Foo Yuet Min – Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Mahesh Rai – Next Generation Partner
- Sources say: "First class technical and practical advice that is consistently delivered according to the timelines required.”
- ‘The team was extremely thorough at each step of the dispute and ensured that they were always one step ahead. Their proactive attitude in managing the dispute enabled us to forecast several potential matters which could have hindered our case.’
- ‘The intensity and dedication shown by the team working on our arbitration is unparalleled and explains why Drew & Napier is such a tough opponent to have in a dispute.’
- ‘dispute resolution giant with a high degree of focus on international arbitration. It has an impressive mix of investor-state, construction and engineering, and commercial cases.’
- ‘The team is “the best in town”…”business-oriented” approach, “deep knowledge” and “relevant experience”; commended for attracting “big-ticket items”, especially arbitration-related court proceedings, with senior figures in the team handling both litigation and arbitration work.’
- Formidable player in the international arbitration scene, and is praised for its "management of expectations" and "value for money". The strength of its practice and the eminence of its senior team members has led it to be engaged in a series of major arbitrations, including a number of investor-state disputes.
- “First-rate’ team ‘impresses with its knowledge and professionalism”; “the group’s capabilities are comparable to any top arbitration practice in the Asia Pacific region”
- Impresses with its “creativity, stamina and level of legal work”.
- [Drew is] “a leading firm for international arbitration in Singapore.”
- “Clients appreciate Drew & Napier LLC’s efficiency, excellence and professionalism.”
Chambers Global and Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution: Litigation: Singapore 2021 – Band 1 for 15 consecutive years
Cavinder Bull, SC – Band 1 for 11 consecutive years
Jimmy Yim, SC – Band 2 for 2 consecutive years
Randolph Khoo – Band 4 for 4 consecutive years
- Clients are superlative in their discussions of the team. They speak of its “exceptional in-depth understanding of the law” and hold it to be a go-to name, even among the top international firms.
- Drew & Napier's team is further highlighted for being prompt and dedicated in approach and “particularly good in analysing the various legal options available”.
Arbitration (International): Asia-Pacific 2020 – Leading firm (12 years ranked)
Cavinder Bull, SC – Band 5 (Only Singaporean ranked in global-wide rankings)
Randolph Khoo – Foreign Expert for China / Expertise Based Abroad
- Clients endorse the department for its "good, reliable, high-quality service"
- They also value the responsiveness, saying: “What we found that was very impressive is that they were able to get back to us on almost all issues we had in a very short period of time”.
- Chambers says: “Formidable line-up of disputes lawyers with an established reputation for handling complex, high-value arbitration.”
- Interviewees say: "I am always impressed with the no-nonsense, down-to-earth legal advice provided by the team."
- One client appreciates the team's "use of good strategy" and ability to "give assurance and confidence along the way."
- "Their reputation is well deserved: they are the top firm overall in Singapore, unlike a lot of multinational firms. They really are focused on operating from Singapore, but they work all around the world."
- "They are among the top at their game in Singapore and they have a good network of solid friendly firms in other jurisdictions that they work very well with."
- ‘active on both commercial and investor-state mandates on behalf of a multinational clientele and increasingly sought after for the arbitration of matters of international public law.’
- "They are very well versed in their field, meticulous and thorough, and we're sure that their calculated actions gave us the results that we wanted to achieve."
- "seeks innovative solutions"; "the firm is always updating its capabilities to meet the challenges of future requirements."
- "The team is technically sound and commercial in its approach. I felt great ease with them handling the case and this was vindicated by a total win."
- ‘“dedication of the team" was emphasised by a number of contributors’
- "They were very thorough and patient when sifting through the many stacks of documents relating to the disputes, their pre-trial preparations were intensive and, most importantly, they were always available to discuss any issues we raised or were not confident about."
- “A number of commentators regard Drew & Napier as Singapore's pre-eminent home-grown arbitration team, with one maintaining that it is ‘definitely the leading local firm in arbitration’. Another concurs: ‘Arbitration and dispute resolution are the special forte of Drew & Napier. They have demonstrated remarkable skills and abilities in handling very complex matters’."
- “Sources point to rigorous preparation as a key reason for the practice's excellent reputation. One notes: ‘They show clarity of thought, clear strategy and the legal opinion has been well researched and is strong; preparation is thorough for the conduct of any case’."
- "They take their cases and clients seriously and put their heart and soul into the matters they accept.”
- "Extremely impressed: they have intellectual capacity, a very strategic mindset and a focus on the elements in which you want them to invest."
- "I would say Drew & Napier are still a go-to firm if a client is looking for the strongest possible representation in dispute resolution."
- "I was really impressed not just with the legal work but the adaptation of success to the clients. Extremely impressed.”
- "Their in-depth legal and industry knowledge, business awareness and professional advice have all been of a high standard. They are equally adept at the representation of out-of-region clients in Asian-based disputes, and of Asian clients in both regional and international cases."
- “The choice was obvious when we were considering a firm to represent us: their dispute resolution work is simply unparalleled, they’re in touch with matters arising in the China market, and the value-added service of providing arbitration-related litigation work is indispensable.”
- “I can’t speak highly enough of them: everyone we’ve worked with from senior to junior has been incredibly professional, prompt and diligent in approach and manner.”
- “‘World-class’ counsel Cavinder Bull SC is described by sources as ‘very easy to deal with’ and an ‘excellent advocate’ who ‘writes compelling briefs and makes superb oral presentations.’”
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Dispute Resolution – Highly Recommended Firm (2021); Recommended for 4 years (2017 to 2020)
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Market Leading Lawyer for Dispute Resolution for 3 years
- “Makarim is a good firm – they provide timely and practical advice.”
- “The advisory opinion has covered all the questions. The work was done in a timely manner. They are very professional.”
- “The attorneys at the firm are responsive, helpful and knowledgeable. We have been very pleased with their assistance.”
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution in 2019 - Tier 2
Lia Alizia – Recommended Lawyer for Dispute Resolution in 2015
Rudy Andreas Halomoan Sitorus – Next Generation Lawyer for Dispute Resolution in 2019
- “Makarim & Taira S. compromises individuals who have a strong and deep knowledge of their own field and support one another.”
- “They respond swiftly to emails and urgent requests.”
Recognised Practitioner for Dispute Resolution for 2 consecutive years
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Dispute Resolution 2021 (12 consecutive years)
Rabindra S. Nathan – Leading Individual for 12 years: 2010-2021
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Leading Individual for 11 years: 2010-2015, 2017-2021
Rodney Gomez – Leading Individual for 12 years: 2010-2021
K. Shanti Mogan – Leading Individual for 8 years: 2014-2021
Dhinesh Bhaskaran – Leading Individual for 7 years: 2015-2021
Yee Mei Ken – Leading Individual for 2 years: 2020 and 2021
- One client praises its "great team," commending their "excellent research work, written submissions and the manner in which they prepare for, and argue in, hearings."
- Another source adds: "Their organisation is very well run and easy to deal with."
- Clients are full of praise for the firm's dependable service, with one interviewee commenting: "They are very reliable, knowledgeable, efficient and hard-working, with good customer service and teamwork. They continuously update us on the status of our case."
- Another source expresses admiration for the team, reporting that "they advise not only from a legal perspective, but also from clients' commercial points of view."
- The team attracts strong praise from interviewees, with clients characterising the group as "very, very good" and rating Shearn Delamore "among the leading firms in Malaysia" for contentious work.
- One source reports: "They have a good pool of experienced lawyers."
- "Our preferred firm in respect of complex litigation."
- "An excellent firm, I have always felt comfortable in our dealings with them."
- Sources say: "They were very good and we were very impressed." "They did and continue to do a great job."
- Sources say:"Definitely a Band 1 firm; they have a big team with a group of partners all ready to pick up complex issues."
- One interviewee notes that "they have a good reputation and their partners are leaders. It is a truly full-service firm."
- Clients praise the team for its "professionalism, expertise and good turnaround time."
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution 2021 - Top Tier (12 consecutive years)
Rodney Gomez – Leading Individual for 3 consecutive years: 2019-2021
Yee Mei Ken – Leading Individual for 3 consecutive years: 2019-2021
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Recommended Lawyer for 9 years: 2011, 2012, 2015-2021
Rabindra S. Nathan – Recommended Lawyer for 5 years: 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019 and 2020
Rodney Gomez – Recommended Lawyer for 1 year: 2012
K. Shanti Mogan – Recommended Lawyer for 6 years: 2011, 2012, 2014, 2019-2021
Dhinesh Bhaskaran – Recommended Lawyer for 4 years: 2010, 2016, 2019 and 2020
Rajasingam Gothandapani – Recommended Lawyer for 6 years: 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018
Nad Segaram – Recommended Lawyer for 2 years: 2010 and 2019
Yee Mei Ken – Recommended Lawyer for 3 years: 2016-2018
Jimmy Liew – Recommended Lawyer for 1 year: 2012
- “Shearn Delamore & Co. team provides sound legal advice, in-depth analysis of complex issues and effective & innovative solutions to various issues”
- “The team handles arbitration constructively and pragmatically.”
- “They have a very reliable, knowledgeable, efficient and hard-working team who help clients in understanding the various issues and suggest best solutions and way forward”
- “Highly efficient and always available, they are very practical and sensible and easy to work with”
- “Exceptional analysis of the law and the wider context of the case”
- ‘excellent response times and spot-on knowledge of the law”
- ‘reactive and commercial, and have excellent legal and procedural knowledge’
- They provide very practical legal advice and cut through all the noise’
- ‘The team’s knowledge, availability and turn around time for our libel matters are un-matchable’
Dispute Resolution 2021 - Outstanding (6 consecutive years)
Rabindra S. Nathan – Elite Practitioner (2021)
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Distinguished Practitioner (2 consecutive years: 2020 to 2021)
Dhinesh Bhaskaran – Notable Practitioner (2021)
Shanti Mogan – Notable Practitioner (2021)
Nik Azila Shuhada – Rising Star (2021)
Rabindra S. Nathan – Market Leading Lawyer (3 consecutive years: 2017 to 2019)
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Market Leading Lawyer (3 consecutive years: 2017 to 2019)
Rodney Gomez – Market Leading Lawyer (3 consecutive years: 2017 to 2019)
Rabindra S. Nathan – Leading Individual for 4 years: 2013 to 2016
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Leading Individual 4 years: 2013 to 2016
Rodney Gomez – Leading Individual for 4 years: 2013 to 2016
Rajasingam Gothandapani – Leading Individual for 5 years: 2015 to 2019
- “Responsive, resourceful and practical in its advice for the subject matter. It is very engaged with its clients and the business.”
- “The firm eschews theory and banality, delivering sound practical advice that is aligned with our business needs.”
- “They responded well ahead of the promised time, always responsive. They have the sense towards the case, this gives us the added confidence.”
- Shearn Delamore & Co’s “is one of the top firms in the country”, comments a disputes client.
- "There is no faulting Shearn Delamore & Co. The firm is the standard that everyone else aspires to in this country,” says a peer.
- One client says: “With the firm on board, a client has the assurance that it is receiving the best advice that money can buy.”