Banking & Finance
Healthcare & Life Sciences
Telecommunications, Media & Technology (TMT)
- M.Kn., Universitas Pelita Harapan (IDN, 2016)
- LL.M., International Commercial and European Law, University of Sheffield (GBR, 2005)
- S.H. (Cum laude), Universitas Airlangga (IDN, 2000)
Maria Sagrado is a leading practitioner and a highly skilled negotiator with extensive high-level experience in structuring foreign investment and financial transactions. She represents the interests of numerous foreign clients investing in Indonesia, including companies and investors from China, USA, UK, Singapore, and European Union across various sectors, including power plants, pharmaceuticals, distribution, port-related activities, mining, and fintech.
Combining her European and Indonesian exposure, Maria’s well-rounded experience in relevant corporate and commercial practices enable her to comprehensively advise and guide foreign clients entering local investments or transactions in Indonesia, with due consideration of the various aspects involved.
Her ability to forge rapport between disparate parties and drive solutions is also showcased by her successful track record executing prominent finance transactions involving leading foreign banks, in particular banks from China, Germany, Malaysia and other European countries, as well as offshore export credit agencies in the financing of Indonesian borrowers including State Owned Enterprises (SOE), power plant, major mining related industries and manufacturing companies.
Maria is a pioneer and among the few Indonesian lawyers who are active in fintech transactions and the Fintech Association in Indonesia. She was involved in the drafting of the first Financial Services Authority (Otoritas Jasa Keuangan) regulation on Fintech, i.e. Peer-to Peer lending in Indonesia that was issued in late 2016. She also published an article that discusses the country’s central bank’s regulatory sandbox initiative for fintech players as published in IFLR1000’s Fintech Special Focus 2018.
- Represented Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. and PT Freeport Indonesia regarding a syndicated facility amounting to USD 3.5 billion involving JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. as Administrative Agent and Bank of America N.A. as Syndication Agent
- Represented PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk., PT Bank Negara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk. and PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero) Tbk., each acting as Mandated Lead Arrangers and Original Lenders regarding the export credit facility amounting to IDR 2.275 trillion (equivalent to USD 250 million) to PT Krakatau Steel (Persero) Tbk. for its Blast Furnace project
- Represented PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk. and PT Bank Sumitomo Mitsui Indonesia (SMBC) regarding a syndicated facility amounting to USD 90 million to PT Telin, a subsidiary of PT Telkom (Persero)
- Represented prominent international banks (including DZ Bank AG and China Development Bank) in their establishment of their representative in Indonesia.
- Represented Marriott Vacation Club in its resort projects in Bali, Indonesia
- Represented PT Indonesia Adventure Sports (owning Nihisumba Resort) in general corporate matters and licensing
- Represented Sinohydro in its various power projects including one in Bengkulu.
- Represented various e-commerce and fintech companies, including Gojek, GoPay, Coda Payment, Crowdo, WeLab, VISA and Lazada.
- Member, The Indonesian Advocates Association (PERADI) since 2010
- Member, The Indonesian Capital Markets Legal Consultants Association (HKHPM) since 2013
- Code Ethic Member, FinTech Association (Aftech) since 2016
- Author of IFLR Focus Report: Regulatory Sandbox, 2018
- Author of IFLR: Investment in Indonesia
- Author of Indonesia’s National Payment Gateway: Impact on Operations of Licensed Principals, Financier Worldwide, 2018
- Author of UK Practical Law Thomson Reuters: Shareholders Agreement and Bye-Laws Questions: Indonesia, 2016
- Author of Financier Worldwide Magazine: Reporting by Indonesian companies of their Offshore Loan Facilities, 2014