Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
Infrastructure & Projects
Private Wealth & Family Business
- LL. B (Hons), University of Leicester
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Pamela’s practice covers a broad range of banking and debt capital market transactions including acquisition financing, project financing, structured lending, real estate financing, corporate loans, trade facilities, Islamic financing, issuance of corporate bonds and Sukuk. She advises lenders as well as borrowers across a wide spectrum of cross-border and domestic, bilateral and syndicated, loan and financing transactions. She also advises on corporate debt restructuring. In addition, she provides regulatory advice on exchange control regulations, banking and financial institutions regulations, finance and securities laws.
Pamela is also involved in private wealth and succession planning, and advises on trusts and foundation structures.
- Acted for the lead arranger and principal adviser in the Islamic medium term notes of up to RM470 million in nominal value and junior bonds of up to RM120 million in nominal value by Telekosang Hydro One Sdn Bhd to finance the hydroelectric energy generating facilities in Tenom, Sabah, whichcomply with the ASEAN Green Bond Standards issued by ASEAN Capital Markets Forum and the Sustainable and Responsible Investment (SRI) Framework issued by the Securities Commission Malaysia, also referred to as “the world’s first greenfield mini-hydro green SRI Sukuk”.
- Acted for the issuers and the borrowers in (i) the medium term notes programme of up to RM1.12 billion in nominal value, (ii) the medium term notes programme of up to RM320 million in nominal value, (iii) the syndicated facilities of up to RM160 million, and (iv) the syndicated term loan facility of up to RM30 million, to finance a large-scale integrated mixed-use waterfront development known as “The Light City” in Penang comprising a retail mall and convention centre, a hotel, an office tower, and 2 residential towers. The issuers and borrowers are subsidiaries of a joint venture between a Malaysian property development company listed on the main market of Bursa Malaysia and a Singaporean integrated real estate and healthcare company listed on the Singapore Exchange.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to the foreign financiers in the multi-currency facility of USD900 million granted to the subsidiary of a global manufacturer and supplier of automotive components, for purposes of, inter alia, financing the global acquisition of Takata Corporation’s business.
- Acted for the investor and the principal adviser in the Korean Won denominated perpetual convertible bonds (amounting to USD250 million equivalent) and Korean Won denominated bonds with warrants (amounting to USD50 million equivalent) by a wholly-owned Malaysian subsidiary of a company listed on the Korea Exchange engaged in the production and sale of a key component in electronic products.
- Acted for a domestic bank in the term loan facility of up to RM203.5 million to part-finance the construction of a hotel as part of the 25-acre mixed-use integrated and transit-oriented development known as “KL Eco City” in Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to a foreign bank for the loans of up to US$550 million to finance, inter alia, the acquisition of Ophir Energy plc. listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
Banking and Finance 2013 – Recommended Individual
Banking and Finance 2020 – Band 3 for 3 consecutive years; Other Noted Practitioner (2017)
She handles both conventional and Islamic finance, with a client reporting: "We appreciate her advice." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
She is described by clients as "very professional and dedicated, with strong business acumen." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
Clients praise Pamela Kung, reporting that she is "very polished and sharp on financing matters," as well as possessing "impeccable knowledge." – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
Banking and Finance 2020 – Band 3
Banking 2021 – Highly Regarded Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Banking and Finance 2015-2017 – Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Capital Markets 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2019 – Recommended Lawyer
Banking and Finance 2020 – Leading Individual for 3 consecutive years; Recommended Lawyer for 6 consecutive years (2012-2017)
Islamic Finance 2020 – Recommended Lawyer for 7 consecutive years
Who’s Who Legal
Capital Markets: Islamic Finance 2019 – Global Leader
Capital Markets 2017-2018 – Expert for 2 consecutive years
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Asia Regional Director, World Law Group (WLG)
- Doing Business in Asia-Pacific: Malaysia – Chapter 5: Foreign Investment, and Chapter 10: Financing, 1st edition (2020), published by the Asia-Pacific Regional Forum of the International Bar Association