- LL.B. (Second Upper Hons), Durham University (2006)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (2008)
- Lawyer, Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia (2011)
Renu joined Drew & Napier’s Corporate & Finance practice in 2014.
Prior to joining Drew & Napier, Renu gained experience in dispute resolution with an established Singapore law firm and worked with the banking and finance team of an Australian law firm.
Renu’s experience in Singapore and Australia has enabled her to advise and assist leading individuals, corporates, lenders and borrowers on a range of domestic and cross-border disputes, corporate and commercial transactions and security arrangements.
Presently, Renu advises on a range of financing matters including on bilateral and syndicated loans, acquisition financing, debt restructuring and debt capital markets. She also advises on regulatory and stock exchange related work, mergers and acquisitions and other general corporate matters.
- Acting as Singapore counsel for Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology (JCET) in respect of financing arrangements related to a US$780m (approx. S$1 billion) pre-conditional voluntary general offer for STATS ChipPAC Ltd.
- Acting as local counsel in relation to specific Singapore law security aspects of the financing extended by export credit agencies Japan Bank for International Cooperation, The Export-Import Bank of Korea (KEXIM), and international commercial lenders The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., Mizuho Bank, Ltd., Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, and ING Bank N.V in connection with the multi-billion dollar development by PT Cirebon Energi Prasarana of the 1,000 MW expansion of the Cirebon coal-fired power plant in West Java, Indonesia.
- Acting for COSCO SHIPPING International (Singapore) Co., Ltd. in the grant of facilities of up to S$350 million by Bank of China to part finance its S$488.07 million cash buyout of SGX-ST listed logistics firm Cogent Holdings Limited.
- Acting as local counsel for a developer, owner and operator of clean energy projects in relation to specific Singapore law aspects of its issuance of international guaranteed green bonds denominated in foreign currency, the proceeds of which are to finance renewable energy projects and existing indebtedness.
- Advised a major investor, as Singapore counsel, in the US$2.5 billion acquisition (by way of primary and secondary purchases) of Series I preference shares in Flipkart amounting to an approximately 20% stake in Flipkart (which valued Flipkart at US$11.6 billion), and the subsequent disposal of the investment in connection with the acquisition by Walmart Inc (through its subsidiary, Walmart International Holdings Inc) of an approximately 77% stake in Flipkart, which valued Flipkart at US$20.8 billion. This deal was awarded The Asian Lawyer: Asia Legal Awards 2019 – TMT Deal of the Year and the Indian Business Law Journal: Deal of the Year 2018 – Top 50 landmark deals involving Indian parties.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Banking & Finance 2020 - Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
- She has a “fine record in syndicated and bilateral lending, acquisition finance and project finance.”
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Banking & Finance 2020
- “Absolutely wonderful to work with. Solid knowledge of the subject matter and superb attention to the deadlines.”
- “Very strong commitment and ability to deliver. Excellent skills in communication and delivery.”
- “Responsive and effective.”
- “Friendly and easy to work with, thorough knowledge and provides quick solutions.”
- “She's efficient, detailed and experienced in her field of work.”
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Committee Member, Anti-Money Laundering Committee and Project Law Help Committee (2015), Law Society of Singapore