The DNA Restructuring & Insolvency practice group has dedicated restructuring teams with the unparalleled ability to tap into each DNA member’s extensive experience and full range of corporate, finance, litigation and specialist legal services in each jurisdiction to advise on all types of restructuring and insolvency matters, contentious or consensual corporate restructurings as well as investigations and recovery.
The DNA Restructuring & Insolvency practice group regularly acts for distressed companies and their boards in workouts and rehabilitation processes, local and foreign financial institutions and other creditors regarding the bankruptcy and restructuring of companies in local jurisdictions, as well as insolvency practitioners such as liquidators, judicial managers, receivers and scheme managers in the administration of insolvency and restructuring processes as well as investigations and recovery.
The practice group is skilled at finding commercial and practical solutions during moments of financial crisis. We find ourselves playing a role in most of the largest restructurings and insolvencies in our respective countries and the region. The DNA Network gives the practice group a global footprint that offers us exciting opportunities.
Our Cross Border Strength
We are able to offer our clients a single point of contact as well as a collaborative and integrated team drawing on the combined strengths of our firms.
The DNA Restructuring & Insolvency practice group has been involved in major workouts and the most high profile, complex and challenging restructurings in each local jurisdiction, as well as in SE Asia and international cross-border restructurings, including schemes of arrangement, judicial managements, Indonesian PKPU regime and US Chapter 11 and 15 restructurings.
Some of the major restructurings and workouts that the DNA Restructuring & Insolvency practice group have been involved include:
- Hyflux’s S$2.64 billion debt restructuring.
- Berlian Laju’s US$2.5 billion cross-border debt restructuring involving complex multi-jurisdictional legal and practical issues arising from over 100 vessels operating worldwide.
- Ezra Holdings’ US$1.49 billion cross-border debt restructuring involving parallel restructuring under US Chapter 11 and Singapore judicial management.
- APP’s US$14 billion debt restructuring involving 150 subsidiaries worldwide.
- Acted in the US$800 million debt restructuring of companies of a major Indonesian family involving a PKPU composition plan.
- Acted in the restructuring of a US$539 million facility and other debts of an Indonesian telecommunications company.
- Acted in the US$454 million and IDR87 billion debt restructuring of a major Indonesian pulp and paper producer.
- Acted in the US$273.888 million debt restructuring of a textile company listed in Indonesia.
- Represented the largest Malaysian lender with RM90 million financing to a world leading Malaysian manufacturer and exporter of premium quality glove products in its judicial management exercise.
- Acted in a RM250 million debt restructuring of a foreign-owned developer involved in high-end development in Johor with both onshore and cross-border debts.
- Acted in a RM10 million cross-border debt restructuring of a wholly-owned subsidiary of a listed company in Malaysia involving parallel schemes of arrangement in Malaysia and Singapore.
- Acted in a RM50 million debt restructuring of a listed company in Malaysia involving a reverse takeover by a white knight.
A comprehensive deals list is available on request.
Sushil NairDeputy Chief Executive Officer, Drew & Napier / Co-Head, Corporate Restructuring & Workouts
Julian KwekCo-Head, Corporate Restructuring & Workouts / Co-Head, Indonesia Group
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Datin Jeyanthini KannaperanPartner / Head, Dispute Resolution / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Arbitration and Mediation
Michelle WongPartner, Corporate / M&A
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Band 1 for 14 consecutive years
Sushil Nair – Leading individual
Julian Kwek – Leading individual
Blossom Hing – Leading individual
Chan Wei Meng – Leading individual
Mohan Gopalan – Up and Coming
- "They have been outstanding in developing and implementing effective and creative strategies that have produced successful restructurings in circumstances that seemed hopeless at the start."
- “Commercially driven and focused on getting different parties to work together and reach a solution.”
- “Their reach throughout Asia is exceptional and they also know their way around other important legal centres like London and New York.”
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Tier 1 for 14 consecutive years
Sushil Nair – Market leader
Julian Kwek – Highly regarded
Blossom Hing – Highly regarded
Chan Wei Meng – Highly regarded
Mohan Gopalan – Rising Star
Teri Cheng – Rising Star
- “Extremely commercial and competent. Able to grasp issues affecting not just the legal position but those which relate to the commercial, political and reputational concerns of the clients.”
Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Tier 1 for 9 consecutive years
Sushil Nair – Leading individual
Julian Kwek – Recommended lawyer
Blossom Hing – Recommended lawyer
Chan Wei Meng – Recommended lawyer
Mohan Gopalan – Next generation lawyer:
- “An established practice and is professionally run, staffed with very competent professionals that are well connected with the judicial system and the commercial world.
- “A superb team that achieves excellent results in the most complicated cross-border restructurings – beyond what most practitioners in this area would think is possible.”
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Tier 1 law firm
Kurniawan Tanzil – Recommended lawyer
Lia Alizia – Recommended lawyer
Alexandra FM Gerungan – Recommended lawyer
In-House Counsel Community Asian-Mena Counsel – Pacific Business Press
Indonesia Firm of the Year 2018 for Restructuring & Insolvency
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Tier 2 law firm for 8 consecutive years (2014 to 2021)
Restructuring & Insolvency 2021 – Highly Recommended
- Previously a Recommended law firm for 7 consecutive years (2014 to 2020)
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Asialaw Profiles and Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Listed as a Recommended Firm
Jeyanthini Kannaperan – Distinguished Practitioner
Rabindra Nathan – Elite Practitioner
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Listed as Tier 1 Firm
- Head Jeyanthini Kannaperan handles a range of banking and finance, land and corporate disputes. Rabindra Nathan represents clients in corporate and commercial litigation, banking insolvency litigation and international commercial litigation.
- In the 2020 edition, Chambers noted that Jeyanthini Kannaperan is respected for her significant experience in relation to banking disputes, including securities law. Rabindra Nathan is recognised for his expertise in insolvency cases.