- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2002)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2003)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (2006)
- Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria (2008)
Ron is the Head of the Investment Funds practice at Drew & Napier. He has handled a wide range of corporate matters since 2003. He has acted as lead counsel in the establishment of alternative investment funds across various legal structures (such as Singapore variable capital companies (VCCs), limited partnerships, unit trusts, companies, business trusts, and Cayman segregated portfolio companies). He has advised on the establishment of licensed, registered or exempt fund managers, financial advisers and trust companies in Singapore.
He has also acted as lead counsel in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and employment law-related work. His clientele consists of local individuals and organisations as well as multinational and international clients, particularly in the funds industry.
Some of the matters in which Ron has handled include:
- Acting as Singapore counsel for a Dutch pension fund asset manager as lead investor of a tax-exempted private fund investing into offshore real estate developments.
- Acting for a major offshore snack company in its joint venture with an Indian company specialising in the production of cashew nuts, and the parties’ subsequent multi-million dollar investments into the joint venture company.
- Acting for a US conglomerate in a private share acquisition for S$35 million. The transaction involved the transfer of government-leased properties.
- Acting for a Singapore corporation in its sale of the ERA real estate group of companies.
- Acting for receivers appointed to an insolvent Indonesian resort in the sale of the resort’s shares and receivables to a corporate fund investor.
Investment Funds 2024 – Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years
"Mr Ron Cheng is a talented and highly skilled lawyer who comprehends complex investment strategies and is highly sensitive to commercial viabilities. He works round the clock to deliver tier 1 deliverables."
"Ron is very experienced, knowledgeable and responsive. He is sensitive to clients' interests and is great to work with."
"Ron Cheng has displayed a top-notch level of professionalism and competencies. His commitment to perfection and service is unmatched. He is undoubtedly one of the best legal counsels we have met."
Asia-Pacific Legal 500
Investment Funds 2024 – Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years, previously a Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Capital Markets 2022 – Recommended Lawyer for 2 years
"Ron Cheng is experienced and knowledgeable, especially on matters pertaining to investment funds. He is able to explain the legal concepts clearly and concisely to clients and to assist with their requirements."
"Mr Ron Cheng, the co-head of investment funds at Drew & Napier, has demonstrated unparalleled levels of professionalism and competencies. His responsiveness to communications is unmatched by any other legal counsel we have worked with. His capability to clearly dissect and compartmentalise information has allowed him to comprehend and provide solutions for some of the most complex cases or structures we presented."
"Ron Cheng from Drew & Napier LLC is very experienced and knowledgeable on legal matters pertaining to fund structures. He is also very responsive and can explain legal concepts clearly to clients."
Ron "demonstrated that he has a strong grasp of the various legal issues for investment funds. He is also very familiar with different fund vehicles and structures. Ron is truly a leading lawyer in his field and I would not hesitate to recommend him to our clients."
Ron specialises in the structuring and listing of funds, “manages a good team” and “always delivers well thought out practical advice”.
"His expertise and ability to navigate through complex and unconventional fund structures is admirable."
A client praised Ron for being “highly accessible and responsive.”
He “provides exception innovative strategy” in alternative investment funds.
Ron Cheng stands out for his “experience and knowledge”. He is strong in all aspects of funds management and private equity transactions together with regulatory regimes and related tax issues.
“Ron Cheng is capable to analyse complex fund structure, provide exception innovative strategy, and execute his task effectively and efficiently.”
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Investment Funds 2023 – Highly Regarded for 2 consecutive years
“Attentive, very knowledgeable, detail-oriented to the matter at hand”
“Friendly and approachable”
“Deep industrial knowledge and fast turnaround.”
“Very responsive and will work quickly to solve problems working late into the night. Looks out for client's interests and points out potential downsides.”
“Mr. Ron Cheng is a talented and highly skilled lawyer who is capable of comprehending complex investment strategies and structure. He possesses a broad understanding of legal frameworks across multiple disciplines while being highly skilled and updated in investment fund-related regulations.”
“Ron is experienced, skilled and responsive.”
“Ron is very responsive to clients' queries, even outside of the regular working hours. He is also able to explain complex legal concepts to the clients in a clear and concise manner.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Investment Funds 2023/2024 – Notable Practitioner
Ron was commended by clients who said:
“Knowledgeable and able to understand and meet the client's needs.”
“Ron has been extremely meticulous when it comes to his work. He ensures that he covers all angles and risks that the fund may encounter locally or abroad. Ron is able to understand complex problems and comes up with innovative solutions and structure.”
“Ron ably assisted several of my companies in their respective corporate matters, spanning shareholders' agreements, joint ventures, investments, employment and together with another litigation partner in the firm, some contentious matters. I, and my companies, rely on Ron's expertise and legal acumen, which he delivers with speed and precision. He is my corporate legal adviser of choice, and I am very pleased with our outcomes working together. He deserves the title of a leading individual in his field of expertise.”
“Ron is extremely well versed and professional. He is able to provide meaningful and valuable insights into how we can plan and execute our funds more effectively. Ron's work is prompt and always deliver the work within the given timeline.”
“Ron is very professional, knowledgeable and efficient. I am very pleased with his work.”
“Ron was responsive and attentive to our needs, despite facing multiple urgent matters. Was experienced and knowledgeable on the relevant areas of law that he advised on, including providing insights such as non-public insights from regulators.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016 – Listed lawyer
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Law Society of England & Wales
- Co-author of the Singapore chapters to “The International Comparative Legal Guide to Securitisation” in 2016, 2014, 2012 and 2011, published by the Global Legal Group.
- Co-author of “Timetable for Implementation of Amendments to the Companies Act”, April 2015, published by Lexology and Drew & Napier LLC.
- Author of “Impending Provisions in the Singapore Companies Act Relating to Duties of Chief Executive Officers”, February 2015, published by Lexology and Drew & Napier LLC.
- Co-author of the Asian Venture Philanthropy Network’s guide “Getting Started in Venture Philanthropy in Asia – Legal Framework Profile for Singapore”, published by the Asian Venture Philanthropy Network in 2014.
- Co-author of “Duties and Liabilities of Directors of Insolvent Companies” published by Asian Legal Business in June 2003.