- LL.B. Economic Law & International Economic Law, Beijing University (1995)
- Master of Comparative Law, National University of Singapore (1999)
- M.A. Political Science and International Relations, University of Delaware (2001)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar
Wu Geng’s areas of practice include initial public offerings and listings, reverse takeovers, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate legal advisory work.
He graduated with an LLB from Beijing University and received his post-graduate degrees in Singapore and in the USA. He was practicing law with the PRC Supreme People’s Court for several years before joining the private sector. He has been in the legal profession in Singapore for more than 15 years, and has extensive experience and a good understanding of the legal practice and procedures in Singapore and China.
Wu Geng was involved in many matters. Here are just a few:
- Acting as Singapore Legal Advisor for Haidilao International Holding Ltd.’s (Haidilao) US$964 million global offering of 424,530,000 shares on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (Global Offering). Haidilao is a global leading and fast-growing Chinese restaurant brand focusing on hot pot cuisine. The Global Offering, priced at HK$17.80, represents 8% of Haidilao’s total share capital, giving it a valuation of approximately US$12 billion. Net proceeds, after deduction of relevant expenses, are estimated at approximately HK$ 7.27 billion.
- Acting for PetroChina International (Singapore) Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of PetroChina Company Limited, in the acquisition of the initial block of shares as well as in the subsequent general offer and the compulsory acquisition of residual minority shares in Singapore Petroleum Company (SPC) which valued SPC at S$3.2 billion in its entirety. At the Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards 2010, this deal was named the Singapore M&A Deal of the Year 2010.
- Acted as Singapore counsel for the issuer, in relation to the proposed listing of Chinese companies in mainland China.
- Acting for a PRC corporation which is primarily engaged in the business of property development, property investment as well as property leasing, seeking to be listed on the SGX Catalist via a reverse takeover.
- Acting for a number of SGX listed companies in their rights issue of shares, placement of shares and other corporate transactions.
- Acted as lead Singapore counsel for an investment of significant amount in a power project in a developing South East Asian country, through a Singapore holding company.
- Acting for a few major local and foreign banks in various facility and security arrangements with Singapore companies and/or offshore companies.
- Acting for a Singapore company in relation to structuring and documentation of the issuance of its redeemable preference shares and the company’s investment in a large scale hotel and service apartment project in the northeast of Asia.
- Acted for the applicant in submitting fund management application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Advised on various initial coin offerings, on whether such tokens would be “securities”, “capital markets products” or units in a “collective investment scheme” under the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289 of Singapore).
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Capital Markets 2021 – Notable practitioner for 3 consecutive years
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Peking University Alumni Association (Singapore)
- Associate Member, China Enterprises Association (Singapore)