Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement
Arbitration and Mediation
- LL.B (Hons, 1st Class), Polytechnic of Wales (1989)
- Barrister-at-Law, Gray’s Inn (1990)
- LL.M (Hons, 1st Class), University of Cambridge (1991)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1992)
Civil, commercial and corporate litigation; arbitration; product liability; medical malpractice law; insurance law; and environmental law. Dhinesh has represented clients in a wide array of cases at all levels of the Malaysian Courts and in arbitrations in Malaysia and Singapore under the ICC, SIAC and KLRCA Rules.
- Acting for the Respondent in an Arbitration in a RM12 billion joint venture dispute involving the construction of a major public transportation system.
- Acting for the Malaysian Highway Authority in judicial review proceedings involving a challenge to the construction of a major RM4 billion urban highway and the related regulatory framework.
- Defending proceedings for the enforcement of a RM140 million Indonesian judgment debt, involving novel issues of law regarding defences which can be raised to resist the common law recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments.
- Successfully represented a renowned international Spanish professional motorcycle racing team in a claim against their main sponsor for breach of contract and defamation.
- Successfully represented a prominent corporate figure in the first Malaysian case where damages were awarded for defamation on Twitter.
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Malaysia’s Top 100 lawyers 2019
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Dispute Resolution 2021 - Notable practitioner
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Commercial and Transactions, Dispute Resolution and International Arbitration 2020 - Litigation Star
Commercial and Transactions - Dispute Resolution Star for 2 consecutive years (2018-2019)
International Arbitration - Dispute Resolution Star for 2 consecutive years (2018-2019)
Dispute Resolution - Band 3 lawyer for 3 consecutive years (2018-2020); Band 4 lawyer from 2015 to 2017
- An interviewee describes him as "an excellent litigator," adding that "he has broad knowledge of applicable laws and strong research skills to identify the legal nuances that apply to a situation. He protects clients to the maximum." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
- Sources remark that "he has an excellent understanding of commercial matters, and clients' interests always remain his priority." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- Dhinesh Bhaskaran is well regarded among market sources as an "astute and persuasive" litigator. - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
- Dhinesh Bhaskaran has a solid reputation in the market, with peers highlighting him as a "very sound and a good lawyer." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
- Dhinesh Bhaskaran is commended for his "strong legal knowledge" and responsiveness. - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Dispute Resolution - Recommended Lawyer (2009, 2016, 2019-2020)
- Recognised “as an expert in product liability, medical malpractice and insurance disputes” - The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2020
- Recognised for his “international arbitration capabilities”. - The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2019
Who’s Who Legal
Litigation 2015 - Leading Practitioner
Insurance and Reinsurance - Leading Practitioner for 7 consecutive years (2013-2019)
Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers by The Legal Media Group
Recognised as Leading Litigation Lawyers in Malaysia 2007
- Past President, Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Past President, Medico-Legal Society of Malaysia (MLSM)
- Member, Professional Indemnity Insurance Committee and Task Force on Combined Rules and Rules of Court of the Bar Council of Malaysia
- Advocacy and Appellate Advocacy Trainer, Bar Council of Malaysia
- Member, Joint-Committee of the Research and Ethics Committee of the International Medical University, Malaysia
- The Malaysian Chapter in International Product Liability published by Juris Publishing Inc., USA (2012)
- The section on Malaysia in Freezing and Search Orders, 4th Edition, published by Informa Publishing Group Ltd., England (2006)
- The Malaysian Chapter in The International Comparative Legal Guide to Product Liability published by the Global Legal Group Ltd., England (2004 to 2006)
- Advisory Editor for the section on Limitation of Actions in Volume 17 of Halsbury’s Laws of Malaysia (2003)