& Crisis Management
Government and regulatory investigations and enforcement action presents significant risks for businesses worldwide, as they carry potentially significant civil, criminal or reputational repercussions. To complicate matters, the challenges in each jurisdiction are unique and legislation is constantly evolving. Corporations and organisations globally recognise that prompt and careful management of such risks is vital.
DNA’s Investigation & Crisis Management Practice Group is well-placed to assist our clients to pre-empt and successfully mitigate such risks. Led by leading practitioners with a deep understanding of the local environments they operate in, we a team of specialist lawyers with broad experience in handling complex investigations concerning bribery, fraud, anti-money laundering, whistle-blower complaints, tax and financial services offences. The team boasts former prosecutors and enforcement officers, and draws on the expertise of specialists in dispute resolution, banking, tax, competition / antitrust, energy and criminal law, all of whom provide experience and credibility with government authorities.
We are regularly instructed by MNCs, listed companies, leading financial institutions, boards of directors, audit committees, and individuals to advise and represent them in the full range of investigations and crisis management work. These include representation in investigations or enforcement action brought by local and foreign government and law enforcement authorities, conducting internal investigations, and advising on compliance matters.
With lawyers and offices in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, we are able to quickly assemble a multi-jurisdictional team to handle regional cross-border investigations, and to leverage on our expertise in each jurisdiction. Whether it is to attend a dawn raid or meetings with local government authorities, we can be called upon at short notice. You can count on us to coordinate investigations or proceedings that involve multiple jurisdictions, and to deliver seamless and comprehensive advice. Our strong regional focus and presence means that we are the top choice for clients with operations in the region.
Wendell WongDirector, Dispute Resolution / Co-Head, Investigations / Co-Head, Criminal Law Practice
Chia Voon JietDirector, Dispute Resolution / Co-Head, Investigations
Rahayu Ningsih HoedPartner / Energy / Real Estate / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & litigation / Tax / Investigation & Crisis Management / Crime / Insurance
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Rajasingam GothandapaniPartner / Head, Shipping & Maritime / Dispute Resolution / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Land Acquisition & Town and Country Planning / Crime / Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
Sathya KumardasPartner / Dispute Resolution
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Chambers Asia Pacific - Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption 2020
Wendell Wong - Recognised Practitioner
Who’s Who Legal
Wendell Wong – Recommended Lawyer for 6 consecutive years
Chia Voon Jiet – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (Future leaders section)
Mahesh Rai – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (Future leaders section)
- Wendell Wong is well-regarded for his “focus on financial crime” and garners respect for his work in international investigations.
- Chia Voon Jiet is an “intelligent and shrewd practitioner” according to observers who praise his ability to handle issues ranging from corporate fraud to regulatory investigations.
- Mahesh Rai is “truly a leader in this area” … He provides specialist insight into disputes in the telecommunications and energy sectors.
Business Crime Defence 2018
Wendell Wong – Recommended Lawyer for 7 consecutive years
Gary Low – Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
- Acted as Counsel for the Public Prosecutor in Hong Kong in taking the evidence of a witness in Malaysia for the purposes of a criminal trial involving allegations of money laundering that was pending at the Hong Kong Special Administration Region, Court of First Instance pursuant to the provisions of the Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act 2002;
- Acted for both local and foreign financial institutions and multinationals in investigations and enforcement actions against their employees for fraud and conspiracy, where tracing actions and multi-jurisdictional proceedings were involved;
- Represented a Malaysian manufacturing company in investigations by the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) in respect of exports to the European Union; and
- Represented institutional and individual clients in investigation and subsequent asset forfeiture proceedings instituted by the Public Prosecutor and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission pursuant to the provisions under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing And Proceeds Of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S
- Represented a European luxury car manufacturer and a well-known mobile phone manufacturer in an investigation by the US Department of Justice in relation to alleged violation of the FCPA;
- Represented an internationally renowed tableware and home lifestyle manufacturer in an investigation involving fraud, theft, collusion and mismanagement by senior employees;
- Represented a US car manufacturer in the investigation of alleged violations of the company’s code of conduct and non-competition clause, including the dismissal of senior officers of the company.
- Represented a subsidiary of a European furniture company in the conduct of internal investigations for fraud, theft and mismanagement, followed by the closure of the company;
- Representation of US oil and gas companies in various investigations of alleged violations of the company’s hand book and good conduct and providing trainings on anti-bribery, collusion and corruption to its employees in various places in Indonesia;
- Represented the shareholders (European companies) in investigating misconduct by a director of their subsidiary (a medical equipment company) in Indonesia resulting in the termination of the individual from his directorship;
- Represented a USA based manufacturing company in investigating misconduct by employees of its subsidiary in Indonesia and a vendor related to license applications;
- Represented and acted for the shareholders of a manufacturing company and a European based company in an investigation based on information provided by a whistleblower related to fraud and conflicts of interest by the local company’s senior officers, including in the termination of all the parties involved in the case. The investigation also involved information tracing at the Ministry of Law and Human Rights;
- Represented a Japanese company in the investigation of outsourced employees related to reimbursement fraud; and
- Representation of a multinational corporation in the preparation of the company’s hand book and manuals for their operations in Indonesia and thereafter providing trainings to the employees. Our Indonesian office is a member of TRACE.