- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2004)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (2005)
Kelvin is a specialist in resolving complex infrastructure, energy and resource disputes. He is proficient at making complicated technical, delay and quantum issues, easy to understand.
Kelvin advises major players in the infrastructure, energy and resources sphere. He has acted for parties and projects in Korea, China, Middle East, Mongolia, Italy, Laos, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, US, Italy, India and Singapore, amongst others.
His sector experience covers infrastructure projects from nuclear power plants and renewables including wind, hydropower and geothermal; to refineries, mines, railways and expressways; and even giant Ferris wheels.
Kelvin carries out his own advocacy across the entire spectrum of dispute resolution mechanisms - litigation, arbitration, mediation, dispute board proceedings and adjudications, seated both within and out of Singapore.
Kelvin heads a Promotion of Singapore Law Sub-committee (Commodities, Oil & Gas, and Energy). Kelvin also contributes to thought-leadership on construction law issues. As a Council Member of the Society of Construction Law (Singapore), he regularly speaks and publishes articles on construction law issues.
He has recently been appointed as an assessor for construction cases under the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act. He also sits as a mediator, and was part of an experts group commenting on e-discovery issues.
He has also been recognized in directories such as The Legal 500, Experts Guide, and SBR’s list of most influential lawyers under 40 (2018).
Kelvin’s recent experience (*) includes:
- Nuclear Power Plant LCIA Arbitration – Acting for a contractor in a LCIA arbitration in a billion-dollar dispute arising in relation to the construction of a nuclear power plant.
- Lao Hydropower ICC Arbitrations and court proceedings – Acting for a major Italian contractor in two ICC arbitrations seated in Singapore against a Thai entity in relation to disputes over time and cost claims arising out of a Lao hydro-power plant project, and in related proceedings.
- SIAC Arbitrations and court proceedings over iconic infrastructure project – Acting for a major Korean contractor in two SIAC arbitrations seated in Singapore arising out of an iconic infrastructure project in the Middle East and related court proceedings.
- Offshore greenfield wind-farm project – Advising the Employer and his representative on day to day legal matters and managing potential disputes, during the construction phase of a billion-dollar offshore wind farm.
- Managing disputes and advisory – Advising the owners or main contractors on disputes arising out of various multi-million dollar infrastructure projects, such as an EPC contract to construct a refinery in Singapore, an EPCM contract for a project in Singapore, a FEED agreement on a major rail, port and coal terminal project in Indonesia, agreements to procure a floating oil production/ processing platform off Thailand, an agreement to construct a food processing factory in Malaysia for an iconic international brand, performance bonds and injunctive relief for a hotel project in Mongolia, etc.
- Complex and High-value Adjudications under the SOP Act – Acting for claimants or respondents in various construction disputes resolved by way of statutory adjudications, including in relation to prolongation cost, quantum and variations, subsoil and foundation issues.
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
International Arbitration 2019-2020 – Next Generation Partner for 2 consecutive years; Next Generation Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (2017-2018)
Construction 2019-2020 – Next Generation Partner for 2 consecutive years; Next Generation Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (2017-2018)
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Next Generation Partner
“Kelvin Teo is also rated” (2020)
“Kelvin Teo is also noted” (2020)
“a keen ability to grasp complex technical issues and break them down into coherent and concise descriptions that can be readily understood by arbitrators” (2019)
"an extremely creative lawyer who thinks of solutions that no one else can" (2019)
“recommended” for "great in-depth industry knowledge" (2018)
“ably support[ing]” [the team in Clifford Chance] (2016)
Singapore Business Review
Recognized as one of Singapore’s most influential lawyers under 40 in 2018
LMG Expert Guides
Construction and Real Estate 2017-2019 – Rising Star for 3 consecutive years
- Head of Subcommittee (Commodities, Oil and Gas and Energy), Promotion of Singapore Law Committee, Singapore Academy of Law
- Honorary Secretary, Society of Construction Law (Singapore)
- Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
Recent publications include:
- The SCL (Singapore) FAQs for the COVID-19 (Temporary Measures) Act (With an Emphasis on Construction and Supply Contracts) – June 2020
- From “Yam Seng” to Divorce: Navigating (in good faith) joint venture agreements in construction projects – April 2020
- A Lack of Agreement? Approaches to liquidated damages in Singapore and the UK following Seraya v. Denka and Triple Point v. PTT. – December 2019
- Experts’ joint statements and discussions: What role should the lawyers play? – January 2019
- Practical Law: Construction and Projects in Singapore: Overview – 2017 and 2018
- Practical Law: Governing law and jurisdiction clauses Q&A: Singapore – 2018
- Contributor to A Practical Guide to the SIAC Rules – April 2018