DNA’s Infrastructure & Construction Practice is a truly regional practice. With market-leading practices, we offer our clients access to top-quality legal advice and representation across multiple jurisdictions through a single contact point.
Our lawyers are highly experienced in advising on all aspects of infrastructure and construction projects, from project finance, transactional due diligence, procurement, project advisory and regulatory & compliance, and to dispute resolution, insolvency and restructuring.
Examples of non-contentious matters include:
- Advising developers and contractors in large and complex public and private sector projects, in jurisdictions including Singapore (desalination plants, solar farms, integrated commercial projects, data centres, warehouses), Indonesia (pharmaceutical plants, rotary kiln electric furnace nickel refinery plant, business district data centre), Malaysia (light rail transit, mass rapid transit, hydropower plants, coal-fired power plants, thermal treatment facility plants, solar energy plants, pharmaceutical plants, general infrastructure projects, cement mill and facilities, chemical and biodiesel plant facilities, mixed developments), Taiwan (gas fired thermal power project, Vietnam (hydropower plants) and India (petrochemical plants, conventional and non-conventional power plants).
- Advising sponsors, lenders and contractors in the financing of projects in jurisdictions including Singapore (development, construction and operation of Integrated casino resorts, construction of desalination plant, mixed-use complex featuring attractions, retail offerings, a hotel and facilities for airport operations), Indonesia (design, construction and commissioning of gas-fired thermal power project), and Malaysia (hydroelectric energy generating facilities, 30MWac large scale solar photovoltaic energy generating facility, mixed-use integrated and transit-oriented developments, extension of the Maju Expressway from Putrajaya to Kuala Lumpur International Airport).
- Advising developers and contractors on project administration in large scale private sector and public sector projects in multiple jurisdictions including Singapore (MRT, airports, casinos, integrated commercial projects, residential projects), Indonesia and Malaysia (light rail transit, mass rapid transit, power plants (including hydro, air turbine, coal-fired), pharmaceutical plants, steel plants, general infrastructure projects, commercial and residential developments)
Coupled with a deep bench of local expertise that includes senior arbitrators, adjudicators, and mediators, our lawyers successfully appear in construction adjudication, international and domestic construction arbitrations, both ad hoc as well as under institutional rules such as ICC, UNCITRAL, SIAC, AIAC, BANI, PAM, and IEM. With rights of audience before the Singapore, Indonesian and Malaysian courts, we can act in the entire life-cycle of any construction dispute, including enforcement and setting aside of awards.
Examples of contentious matters include:
- Acting for a main contractor in litigation, arbitration and adjudication proceedings against upstream and downstream parties, in relation to a casino project in Singapore with claimed quantum in the sum of several hundred million dollars.
- Acting for a Korean international contractor in a Singapore-seated UNCITRAL arbitration against an Indian state-owned company over claims amounting to US$210 million arising out of the construction of Asia’s largest petrochemical plant.
- Acting for the Government of India in challenging and setting aside an arbitration award in Malaysia, and in appeals to the apex court in Malaysia.
- Acting for an Indian state-owned company in litigation and arbitration proceedings against downstream parties in relation to an electrified double track railway project in Malaysia.
Christopher ChongHead, Construction & Engineering / Director, Dispute Resolution
Mahesh RaiDeputy Head, Construction & Engineering / Director, Dispute Resolution
Heru MardijartoPartner / Infrastructure & Construction
Vincent Ariesta LiePartner / Mergers & Acquisitions / Energy / Infrastructure & Construction / Insurance
Rodney GomezPartner / Head, Infrastructure & Projects / Head, Engineering & Construction / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Mediation
Putri Noor Shariza NoordinPartner / Corporate / M&A / Infrastructure & Projects
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Construction 2019 to 2021 – Recommended firm (3 consecutive years)
Construction & Real Estate 2013 to 2018 – Highly Recommended firm (6 consecutive years)
Infrastructure 2021 – Recommended firm
Christopher Chong – Identified as a Distinguished Practitioner for Construction
Market feedback for Mahesh Rai:
- “Demonstrates commitment and responsiveness to queries at all hours. A very driven individual who has sensible commercial solutions. A capable lawyer who delivers results we ask for.”
- “Mahesh is a first-rate litigator with a good eye for detail. He grasps issues quickly, was accessible and was excellent in providing commercial solutions to our problems.”
- “Mahesh is an excellent disputes lawyer and a master strategist with a deserved reputation for solving complex issues. He was very user friendly, commercially-minded and was one of the best lawyers my company has worked with.”
- “To the point discussion. In-depth knowledge of the matter and the industry. Hands-on related to the approach and strategy.”
Construction 2021 – Band 4
Construction 2020 – Noted Practitioner (2 consecutive years)
Christopher Chong – Band 3 for Construction 2021; Leading Lawyer in 2020
- Christopher is "a very sound construction lawyer".
- A client praised Christopher for his "knowledge and practical experience," added that "he is excellent and has a very bright mind".
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Mahesh Rai – Recommended Lawyer for Projects & Energy and Next Generation Partner for Construction and International Arbitration in 2020
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Asialaw Profiles 2021 edition
Highly Recommended for Construction & Real Estate from 2014 to 2021
Outstanding for Project & Infrastructure from 2019 to 2021
Highly Recommended from 2015 to 2018
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed identified as an Elite Practitioner (2019 to 2021) and a Market Leading Lawyer (2017 to 2018)
Lia Alizia – Distinguished Practitioner (2019 to 2021)
Vincent Ariesta Lie – Rising Star Lawyer (2018-2021)
- “They can always provide flexibility and sound judgements.”
- “Advanced knowledge in the Indonesian energy sector and precise advice for corporate documents.”
- Heru Mardijarto: “He is very knowledgeable and approachable. He builds up good relationships with clients.”
- Vincent Ariesta Lie: “Vincent has very good legal knowledge both in corporate transactions and projects, and corporate litigation. He is the lawyer to go to anytime we need to consult on mostly anything. Even during times when an issue is not his primary expertise, he can give very good insights and enlightenment on the issues.”
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Tier 1 for Real Estate from 2014 to 2020
Tier 1 for Projects & Energy from 2017 to 2020; Tier 2 from 2014 to 2016
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Leading Individual (2016 to 2016, 2018 to 2019)
Yohanes Masengi – Next Generation Lawyer (2019)
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Tier 2 for Energy & Infrastructure/Project Development from 2015 to 2020
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed – Highly Regarded Lawyer (2017 to 2020)
Vincent Ariesta Lie – Highly Regarded Lawyer (2019 to 2020); Notable Practitioner (2018)
- “Excellent Jakarta-based law firm. Very responsive and collaborate in multi-jurisdictional teams very well.”
- “They are reliable and provide excellent technical and practical advice in a difficult jurisdiction. They advise us on a broad range of issues including dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, employment law and transaction work in Indonesia.”
- “Responsive, cost effective and good understanding of industry and regulatory issues.”
- “Good teamwork.”
- “The firm is very responsive and very commercial. When we need a quick response for a client, Makarim & Taira S. are always happy to oblige.”
- “Makarim & Taira S. has provided excellent, sufficiently detailed and timely advice on our projects.”
- “Fast response and very strong advisory capability.”
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Rodney Gomez – Recommended Lawyer (5 years ranked)
- “Shearn Delamore & Co has diverse areas of practice and are able to provide excellent legal services and advice to us.”
- “Their advice and solutions have been brilliant and enabled us in making decisions for complex situations”
Construction 2021 – Outstanding (4 consecutive years)
Infrastructure 2021 – Recommended (5 consecutive years)
Rodney Gomez – Distinguished Practitioner in Construction
Rodney Gomez – Leading Lawyer in Infrastructure (3 years ranked)
- “Their commercial acumen is very good and would always try to make the deal work for both sides,” says an in-house counsel. “They don’t waste clients’ time and always give their suggestion on how things work.”
Infrastructure 2020 – Tier 2 (7 consecutive years)
Putri Noor Shariza Noordin - Notable Practitioner (3 consecutive years)
Alexius Lee – Notable Practitioner (3 consecutive years)