- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1982)
- LL.M., Queens’ College, Cambridge University (1986)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1983)
- Solicitor, England & Wales (non-practising)
Leena‘s practice areas have involved Banking & Finance, General Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Funds as well as the India Desk.
She headed Drew’s Corporate & Finance Department from 1998 to 1999. She also has long and in-depth experience in legal matters relating to India having been instrumental in establishing Drew & Napier’s India Desk in 1994, soon after the landmark liberalisation of India’s economy in 1991.
From 2004 to 2018, she taught a course on Indian Business Law at the National University of Singapore. Leena was made an Associate of the Institute of South Asian Studies in 2006. This followed her authorship of a book on the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement for the business community.
Leena has advised on a number of matters such as:
- Bank and corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Advising on REITs and business trusts. She acted for the underwriters in Singapore’s first real estate investment trust, CapitaMall Trust
- Establishment of private equity and retail funds and confirming compliance with investment mandate before disbursement of funds
- Advice on various cross-border investments
- Advice on several financing and corporate structures with an Indian element. She acted in relation to a proposed joint venture involving a $1.2 billion investment in SEZs, townships, malls and commercial developments in India.
Asian Legal Business
One of the Hot 100 market Leaders – 2005 and 2006
Indian Business Law Journal
Listed in the International A-list for 2 consecutive years – 2019 and 2020
- Adjunct Professor, National University of Singapore from 2014 – 2018; Adjunct Associate Professor from 2004 to 2014
- Associate, Institute of South Asia Studies (2006 – present)
- FTA Panel of Advisors (2007 – 2012)
- Member, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Served on the board of a few companies (in both Singapore and India)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- General Editor for Halsbury’s Laws of Singapore – Securities, December 2003
- “Guide to India-Singapore Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement”, 2006
- Chapter on India-Singapore CECA in India On Our Minds, December 2020