Our leading lawyers advise on both outbound and inbound India-related corporate transactions, dispute resolution and intellectual property matters. Along with our DNA member firms, we work closely alongside all of the leading law firms in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Maldives to advise and represent clients.
Our lawyers are fluent in Hindi, Tamil, Bengali and Punjabi. They have an intuitive understanding of the culture and practices that affect the conduct of a transaction in this region. This allows them to deliver seamlessly in corporate transactions and dispute resolution, setting our India practice apart.
Some of the significant non-contentious matters our lawyers have handled include:
- Advised a major investor, as Singapore counsel, in the US$2.5 billion acquisition (by way of primary and secondary purchases) of Series I preference shares in Flipkart amounting to an approximately 20% stake in Flipkart (which valued Flipkart at US$11.6 billion), and the subsequent disposal of the investment in connection with the acquisition by Walmart Inc (through its subsidiary, Walmart International Holdings Inc) of an approximately 77% stake in Flipkart, which valued Flipkart at US$20.8 billion.
- Acted in the establishment of the US$100 million Merlion India Fund by Temasek and Standard Chartered Private Limited.
- Acted for a developer, owner and operator of clean energy projects in relation to specific Singapore law aspects of its issuance of international guaranteed green bonds denominated in foreign currency.
- Acted for Tata Motors Limited in its business partnership as an importer, assembler and distributor of certain classes of commercial vehicles in Malaysia as well as military vehicles. We advised Tata Motors Limited, among others, on matters relating to obtaining the Malaysian automotive industry policies, import requirements, licensing requirements for the manufacturing and assembly of motor vehicles, distribution of motor vehicles in Malaysia and other related regulatory matters.
Some of the significant contentious matters our lawyers have handled include:
- Acted for the Government of India in disputes relating to their Production Sharing Contract (Oil and Gas), in particular a set aside application under Section 37 of the Malaysian Arbitration Act 2005 which was heard and dismissed by the High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court.
- Acted for Government of India, before the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority of India (APEDA), against Syarikat Faiza Sdn Bhd, a Malaysian rice trader who had registered the trademark “PONNI” in Malaysia for all varieties of rice. We successfully argued for the trademark “PONNI” to be expunged from the Register in the first case in line with geographical indication protection in Malaysia.
- Acting for an Indian company in an arbitration arising out of a share purchase agreement valued at more than US$800 million. This complex commercial dispute relates to an alleged breach of a contractual obligation to undertake an initial public offering of a telecommunications company.
- Representing and advising a major Indian private equity group in the infrastructure sector in its minority oppression claims against the majority shareholders and Indian directors controlling an IT project SPV across multiple jurisdictions.
Mahesh RaiDeputy Head, Construction & Engineering / Director, Dispute Resolution
Renu MenonDeputy Head, Banking & Finance / Director, Corporate & Finance
Karen AbrahamPartner / Head, Intellectual Property / Technology, Media & Telco / Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws
Rajasingam GothandapaniPartner / Head, Shipping & Maritime / Dispute Resolution / Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement / Land Acquisition & Town and Country Planning / Crime / Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Corporate/M&A (Desk based Abroad in Singapore) – India 2018 for 6 consecutive years
- “This Singapore firm has expertise in structuring India-focused funds and handling venture capital investments into the country. The firm also advises on cross-border acquisitions and joint ventures for both Indian and international clients.”
Dispute Resolution (Desk based Abroad in Singapore) – India 2019 for 3 consecutive years
- Clients commented that the team is “able to navigate through and grasp Indian proceedings very quickly.”
International & Cross-Border Capabilities 2019 – Leading firm
- “The firm has especially well-developed international capabilities in the contentious arena. The team is very active in international arbitration, cross-border investigations, contentious and transactional IP and regulatory work across the South-East Asian region, India and China. The team often acts for Indian clients on inbound disputes relating to South-East Asian investments.”
Indian Business Law Journal
Deals of the Year 2018 awards – two deals which Drew was involved in were identified as among the top 50 landmark deals in 2018 involving Indian parties. The deals - Sindicatum Renewable Energy’s Triple-tranche Green Bond Offering and Walmart’s acquisition of Flipkart - were selected for their size, novelty and complexity.
Drew has been highlighted as a “Regional and Specialist firm" for India work in the annual survey published in August 2020. We have been listed for the past 7 years.
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Karen Abraham - Leading Lawyer (2010-2020)
Rajasingam Gothandapani - Leading Lawyer (2011-2020)
Karen Abraham - Elite Practitioner (2020); Market Leading Lawyer (2017-2019); Leading Lawyer (2013-2016)
Rajasingam Gothandapani- Leading Lawyer (2015, 2016-2019)
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Karen Abraham - Hall of Fame; Leading Lawyer (2010-2020)
Rajasingam Gothandapani - Recommended Lawyer (2010, 2012-2013, 2015, 2017-2018)