- LLB (Hons), The University of Manchester (2008)
- Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law, National University of Singapore (2009)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2010)
- Accredited Mediator (2019), Collaborative Family Law Practitioner (2018), Singapore Mediation Centre
- Accredited Mediator, Singapore International Mediation Institute (2020)
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers (2021)
Shu Mei is a sought-after advocate, international speaker, and a trusted advisor to the modern family.
With a niche practice in private client and family disputes, Shu Mei appears regularly as advocate at all levels of the Singapore Courts on all matters affecting the family including division of matrimonial assets, maintenance, family violence, complex custody and international relocation, as well as trust and property disputes.
As an accredited mediator, and an accredited Collaborative Family Practitioner, she strives to find common ground even in the most complex of cases in negotiations and mediations, whether as an advocate or a neutral. She has particular expertise drafting and negotiating prenuptial, postnuptial, financial arrangement and parenting agreements between family members.
Shu Mei has been appointed to the Board of Governors of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) as an Asia Pacific Chapter Delegate in 2023. She was appointed a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) in 2021. IAFL is a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced family law specialists in their respective countries.
She has provided legal expert opinions to assist the High Court of England and Wales, the High Court of Bombay, the Federal Court of Australia and the Family Courts of New Zealand.
Shu Mei is also a Certified Digital Assets Advisor (CDAA) and has used her knowledge and expertise to resolve complex family disputes involving uncovering cryptocurrency and other forms of digital assets.
Shu Mei’s formative experience is rooted in commercial litigation and international arbitrations under SIAC, ICC, CIETAC, UNCITRAL and DIAC rules and is a member of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Shu Mei also speaks regularly about family law, private wealth, valuation of businesses, dispute resolution and mediation at local and international conferences. She is also the co-author of various academic articles and practitioner guides both locally and internationally.
Some of the matters Shu Mei has acted in are:
- Successfully acting for a Wife to obtain a Worldwide Freezing Order over assets worth approximately $40 million, in order to prevent dissipation of matrimonial assets by the Husband.
- Advising a patriarch with net worth of over $5 billion regarding inter-related family law, private wealth and trust issues for 3 generations, and setting up various legal agreements and structures in place in order to protect family assets in the event of divorce, mental incapacity or death.
- Represented a Father in a long-running High Court case over a minor child wherein complex psychiatric and psychological evidence was admitted successfully to prove a case of parental alienation, resulting in the successful reunification between father and child after 8 years of estrangement.
- Successfully obtaining an injunction against a Father for attempted international child abduction in a highly contentious international divorce involving 3 minors, including obtaining an order for the psychiatric and medical examination of him.
- Acting in a highly contested dispute between co-deputies of a person who lacks mental capacity under the Mental Capacity Act, and successfully obtained Orders regarding the discharge of a co-deputy on the ground of abdication of duties.
- Advising and Acting for various private and higher education institutions in Singapore regarding their policies as regards children from atypical family backgrounds (adoptive, divorcing, separating etc.), highly contentious family backgrounds, including drafting various policies on child abuse, drugs, counselling, bullying, child’s rights (under the United Nations Convention of the Rights of the Child), including dealing with allegations of negligence.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Private Wealth and Family Law 2024 – Recommended lawyer for 2 consecutive years
- ‘Hoon Shu Mei is my first choice for referrals of Singapore family matters and is also my first port of call when I need recommendations for family lawyers in other jurisdictions, maintaining as she does, an extensive network of specialists around the world.’
Singapore Business Review Recognised as Singapore’s 30 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under
Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards Matrimonial and Family Law Firm of the Year 2021, 2022 and 2023
Shu Mei is part of the team that won the Matrimonial and Family Law Firm of the Year Award for handling some of the most complex, cross-border and intricate matrimonial and family law matters for three years in a row.
Chambers High Net Worth
Singapore: Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth 2023 – Band 1
Singapore: Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth 2022 – Up and Coming
- "Her work and thinking is of a very high quality. She listens and always hits her committed timelines. She's immensely professional and also a joy to work with. "
- "Shu Mei is stellar and very professional. She is a rising star."
- “Shu Mei is an up-and-coming lawyer who is experienced in family-related legal matters. Her practice encompasses asset distribution for high net worth couples going through divorce in addition to custody and relocation matters.”
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Family & Matrimonial 2023 - Future Star for 2 consecutive years
- “She knows her law, is passionate about advancing her client's interests, but is also open to alternative dispute resolution mechanisms and resolving matters amicably without compromising her client's positions or concerns.”
- "Professional, knowledgeable, understanding, organised and personable."
Doyle's guide Family Law in Singapore 2023 –Leading Lawyer
Family Law in Singapore 2022 – Recommended Lawyer
Citywealth Leaders List Top 100 International Private Client Litigation Lawyers 2023 – Recommended
Top 50 Private Client and Family Legal Heroes 2022 – Recommended
Family and Matrimonial 2021 - Recommended Lawyer for two consecutive years
Top 100 Private Client Lawyers 2021 - Recommended
- A client commended Shu Mei for being “knowledgeable and thorough”. The same client added that she “provided calm and sure guidance with her reassuring and articulate personality and style. Very professional and to the point.”
- Another source shares: “Shumei has been nothing but professional… she is not a typical legal adviser… she is all about work ethics and helping others. Besides offering knowledge, she is genuinely concerned and assuring and a blessing to work with. Highly recommend her to anyone looking to find resolution and a peace of mind.”
- A client says: “Shu Mei represented me in matters related to a highly contentious divorce proceeding that involved several jurisdictions. It was quickly evident through working with her that she is knowledgeable, experienced and respectful. During the process she was very responsive and spent time to help me navigate all the issues and ensured that I understood the legal implications and potential risks involved in any actions so that I can make an informed decision. This included acting on my behalf to research and explore legal implications in other jurisdictions so that we have a comprehensive resolution. She conducted herself in an utmost professional manner, and clearly explained each step of the process to me. Her legal skills, expertise, efficiency and empathy are instrumental when navigating the difficult decisions often involved in family law proceeding.
- "Shu Mei was experienced and held her client's hand and was able to reach a quick resolution to resolve the matter globally. She will seek a practical outcome and resolve the matter effectively for the client."
The Straits Times - Singapore’s Best Law Firms 2024 Survey Shu Mei is part of the Family Law team awarded 5 stars in the Straits Times survey for 3 years
- Asia Pacific Chapter Delegate, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Member, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Accredited Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre, Singapore International Mediation Institute
- Collaborative Family Practitioner, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law Singapore
- Member, Law Society of Singapore Family Law Practice Committee 2020 - 2023; Member, Organising Committee of Family Law Conference 2019, 2021, 2023
- Randolph Khoo and Hoon Shu Mei are the co-authors to the Singapore chapter of the leading international jurisdictional textbook on family law, “Family Global Guide”, published by Thomson Reuters and Practical Law UK (2020 – 2024 ed.)
- Contributed to Singapore chapter titled, “Crypto in Trusts and Foundations” (1st ed, 2024, pending publication)
- Contributed to chapter titled “Trusts and Divorce” in Family Law in Singapore (2nd, in publication)
- Nandakumar Ponniya & Hoon Shu Mei, chapter titled “Commencement of Arbitration”, Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide (1st ed., 2014)