Director, Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions
Head, Healthcare & Life Sciences (Corporate & Regulatory)
- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (2002)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in (2003)
- Specialist Diploma in Molecular Biotechnology, Ngee Ann Polytechnic (2007)
- Admitted to the Roll of Solicitor, England & Wales (2009)
Benjamin is a Director in the Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Groups, as well as Head, Healthcare & Life Sciences – Corporate & Regulatory. He is also a member of the Telecommunications Media and Technology and Information Technology Practice Group and also co-heads the Employment Practice Group.
Benjamin regularly acts for and advises clients on a wide spectrum of mergers and acquisitions and other transactional and corporate and commercial matters. These matters include sale and purchases of companies and corporate assets, amalgamations, joint ventures, shareholder agreements, corporate restructuring as well as general commercial law.
Benjamin heads up the Healthcare and Life Sciences - Corporate and Regulatory practice, and advises on a full spectrum of matters involving the biotechnology, medical devices, healthcare, and pharmaceutical industries. His experience includes reviewing and drafting clinical trial agreements, patient access programmes, research and development agreements, review of compliance policies, advising on regulatory and ethical concerns, including data and personal privacy concerns especially in the healthcare sector, product liability issues and product recalls.
Benjamin’s practice also includes a strong emphasis on employment law, and he regularly advises clients on the full range of employment issues in the course of an employment relationship, including reviewing employment contracts and handbooks and policies, employee stock option plans, trade unions and collective agreements, to retrenchment and termination of employment. These include preparing and reviewing and advising on employment contracts and handbooks and policies, employee stock option plans, disciplinary matters and investigations, restrictive covenants, retrenchments and contentious and non-contentious termination of employment.
Benjamin has handled many significant matters. Here are a few:
Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for one of the two Integrated Resorts in Singapore in relation to further investment in Singapore to expand its non-gaming facilities as well as to obtain certain gaming concessions. The total investment commitment of the two Integrated Reports amount to SGD 9 billion.
- Assisted Aptiv-nuTonomy, in its USD 4 billion joint venture with the Hyundai Motor Group, which aims to advance the design, development and commercialisation of autonomous driving technologies.
Corporate IP & Technology & FinTech and Blockchain
- Acted for a European based pharmaceutical manufacturer in a high-stakes Exclusive Licence Agreement where the client would acquire worldwide exclusive rights to a pre-clinical platform developed by a Singapore based company. The expected earnout payments in upfront and success-based development and commercialisation milestones are expected to be more than US$1 billion.
- As part of United Engineer’s S$455 million sale of luxury car distributor Wearnes Automotive to StarChase Motorsports, we advised WBL Corporation on the structuring, negotiation and drafting of the assignment of WBL Corporation’s trade marks in Singapore, Malaysia and China.
Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Acted for Lucence Diagnostics in relation to its Series A funding round, which raised US$20 million. The funding round was led by Parkway Holdings Limited, which was coming in as a strategic investor, and was looking to, among others, co-develop solutions with Lucence. The Lucence group, which has offices in the US, Hong Kong and China, develops liquid biopsy tests to detect cancer early and improve treatment selection.
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Corporate/M&A 2018 – Market-Leading Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
“Benjamin was the most responsive and very helpful.”
Who’s Who Legal
Life Sciences 2020 – Global Elite Thought Leader for 2 consecutive years; Leading Lawyer for 10 consecutive years
Life Sciences 2020: Patent Litigation, Product Liability, Regulatory, and Transactional – Recommended Lawyer
Telecommunications Media & Technology 2016 – Leading Lawyer
Labour & Employment 2019 – Leading Lawyer for 7 consecutive years
Pensions & Benefits 2015 – Leading Lawyer
“Benjamin Gaw of Drew & Napier is “precise, knowledgeable and extremely commercial” in his approach, and is “particularly god with biotechnology and high-tech issues associated with medical devices and medical systems”. Peers call him “efficient and always a delight to work with”.
“Clients “warmly endorse” Benjamin Gaw for his excellent work in the field of patent law. He is particularly well regarded for his deep knowledge life sciences and pharmaceutical regulation.”
“Benjamin Gaw is one of the region’s foremost lawyers in pharmaceutical and healthcare regulatory matters.”
Practical Law Company Which Lawyer?
Life Sciences: Regulatory and Transactional 2010-2013 - Leading lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Best Lawyers Lawyers International: Singapore
Information Technology Law 2021 – Endorsed Individual
Asia IP Experts
Pharma & Biotech 2013-2017 – Leading Individual for 5 consecutive years
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Employment 2021 – Recommended Lawyer for 7 consecutive years
““True subject matter expert” Benjamin Gaw is “practical and efficient, able to deliver timely and accurately pitched advice”
“Benjamin Gaw handles non-contentious work such as data protection, immigration and post-acquisition matters. He is praised for his ‘quick turnaround time’.”
Employment 2021 – Band 3; Recognised Practitioner in 2020
"Very helpful and extremely responsive"
“Clients report that “the firm is very good to work with,” also highlighting the team's "knowledge and appropriate advice.””
“I find them very responsive and their written work is of a very high quality.”
“Extremely professional, sound advice and very prompt in serving their clients.”
“I am continually impressed by their thoroughness.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 70 Most Influential Lawyers aged 40 and under 2016 – Listed lawyer
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law
- Asia Pacific Regional Forum Liaison Officer, Healthcare and Life Sciences Law Committee, International Bar Association
- Honorary Secretary, National Arthritis Foundation Executive Committee
- Member, Inquiry Panel
- Member, Law Society IT Sub-Committee
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- The Singapore Chapter of Life Sciences, Lexology Getting the Deal Through, 2021
- The Singapore Chapter of the “Legal 500: Employment Country Comparative Guide Update” published by The Legal 500 & The Inhouse Lawyer
- “Medicinal product regulation and product liability in Singapore: overview”; in Practical Law Company Life Sciences Global Guide 2016/2017
- “Pharmaceutical IP and competition law in Singapore: overview” in Practical Law Company Life Sciences Global Guide 2016/2017
- The Singapore chapter of Life Sciences, Getting the Deal Through, 2011, 2012, 2015 2016, and 2020
- The Singapore chapter on Employment & Labour Law 2015, International Comparative Legal Guide (The Global Legal Group)
- Drew & Napier’s Your Guide to the Protection from Harassment Act 2014 (2015)
- “Life Sciences Jurisdictional Guide to Singapore” in Practical Law Company Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2013
- “Ethical Guidelines for Human Biomedical Research Legislation in Singapore” in Asian Legal Business November 2012
- The Singapore chapter of “International Public Procurement” published by Thomson Reuters/West, 12/2011
- The Singapore chapter of “Global Pharmacovigilance Laws & Regulations: The Essential Reference” published by the Food & Drug Law Institute, which has been described as a “groundbreaking book” and a “landmark guide”
- “Legislating medical devices in Singapore” in Financier Worldwide: Biotechnology & Life Sciences e-Book 2010
- “Employment Contracts – Safeguard Your Intellectual Property Rights” in the Singapore Biotech Guide 2007/2008
- The Atkin’s Court Forms – Singapore, Insolvency (Chapter XLIV), Lexis Nexis, 2007 Ed“
- Legislating the Fruits of Biotechnology: Suggestions for Regulating Bio-engineered Food” by the Singapore Law Review (See (2001 – 2) 22 Sing LR)