Our team of lawyers in each jurisdiction is well versed with the intricacies surrounding employment relationships and managing the associated risks in balancing both interests of the divide between employers and employees. We represent companies across all sectors locally and internationally ranging from aviation, financial, banking, hospitality, medical, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, insurance, transportation, education, maritime to shipping amongst others.
From the inception of operations of multi-national corporations to benefits schemes through share options, drafting handbooks, employment contracts, dealing with industrial relations, undertaking disciplinary proceedings and internal investigations, advising on misconduct issues and managing complex employment disputes, severance and termination of the employment relationships as well as advising on restrictive covenants, our lawyers are well equipped to provide you with all round support in any area of employment related matters in international jurisdictions.
In contentious matters our teams are at the forefront representing employers in landmark industrial jurisprudence and employee disputes. In non-contentious matters, we are also regularly involved in complex mergers and acquisitions and transactional matters involving employment matters.
Kelvin TanDirector, Dispute Resolution
Benjamin GawDirector, Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions / Head, Healthcare & Life Sciences (Corporate & Regulatory)
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Sivabalah NadarajahPartner / Head, Employment & Administrative Law
Vijayan VenugopalPartner / Employment & Administrative Law
- Adam Maniam
- Allister Tan
- Charis Seow
- Chern Yang See
- Don Loo
- Gary Low
- Gerui Lim
- Jared Chen
- Jason Chen
- Jason Goh
- Johnson Loo
- Jonathan Yap
- Kong Man Er
- Meryl Koh
- Premalatha Silwaraju
- Priscilla Wang
- Rakesh Kirpalani
- Seraphina Ho
- Siraj Omar, SC
- Tan Yuan Kheng
- Terence Tan
- Wendell Wong
- Woo Shu Yan
- Alphis Tay
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Employment & Industrial Relations 2021 – Band 1 for 12 consecutive years
Sivabalah Nadarajah – Band 1 Leading Individual for 12 consecutive years
Vijayan Venugopal – Band 2 Leading Individual for 11 consecutive years and Band 3 Leading Individual (2010)
Raymond Low – Band 1 Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years, Band 2 Leading Individual for 6 consecutive years (2014-2019) and Band 3 Leading Individual (2013)
Suganthi Singam – Band 4 Leading Individual for 5 consecutive years and Band 3 Leading Individual for 3 consecutive years (2011-2013)
- A client attests: "We appreciate that their lawyers are accessible and responsive. When we require advice on an urgent basis, Shearn Delamore & Co is always able to accommodate our requests at short notice."
- Clients are enthusiastic regarding the team's work ethic, commenting: "They are competent, efficient and humble. They are very reliable, and above all, they always keep us updated on outstanding cases promptly."
- Another source comments: "Their advice is accurate and good, and the turnaround time is outstanding; they exceed my expectations most of the time."
- Clients are impressed by the team's attentiveness, reporting: "They are reliable, approachable and very responsive to our needs. They are prompt in attending to our enquiries and are flexible."
- Other clients highlight the firm's depth of expertise, describing it as "reliable and well versed in the field of industrial relations."
- Clients are particularly happy with the speed and quality of their service: "They are a great firm to work with. They have an excellent turnaround time and I am comfortable with their advice."
- Other clients concur: "They adopt a very open communication and they're always helpful. They respond to us very quickly, within a day or two. They're dependable and available when we need their advice.
- Another client adds: "The counsel and advice given is always well thought-out and sound."
- "They provide clear, straight-to-the-point advice which is easy to comprehend."
- "We appreciate their quick response time and they give us sound opinions."
- Pragmatic advice: "When I need legal advice on employee relations, I go to them because the advice they give is sound and I get the results that I need."
- Responsiveness: "They are very professional, co-operative and reliable, very reachable and fast to respond."
- Sources say: "They definitely have a top-tier employment practice."
- One client describes the team as "reliable and quick to respond," before going on to add that "they keep the client updated, providing regular updates on landmark court cases and holding forums on current hot topics."
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Labour and Employment 2021 - Top Tier for 12 consecutive years
Sivabalah Nadarajah – Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years
Raymond Low – Leading Individual for 3 consecutive years and Recommended Lawyer (2017)
Reena Enbasegaram – Recommended Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Vijayan Venugopal – Recommended Lawyer (2016)
Suganthi Singam – Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years (2016-2018 and 2021)
Wong Kian Jun – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years (2017 & 2018)
- “provides quick advice and offers practical solutions”
- Shearn Delamore & Co's 'talented' practice provides 'sound advice and practical solutions' across a wide range of employment matters, especially contentious ones
- “Messrs Shearn Delamore is one of the top tier firms if not the top in many diverse fields of law. I have experience working with them for the past 20 years as a litigation lawyer and now as in house counsel. They are obviously highly knowledgeable in Employment matters and have a commercial sense which is valuable especially to our organization”
Labour and Employment 2021 – Outstanding Firm for 6 consecutive years
Sivabalah Nadarajah – Elite Practitioner for 2 consecutive years and Leading Lawyers for 7 consecutive years (2013-2019)
Vijayan Venugopal – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Raymond Low – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years and Leading Lawyers for 3 consecutive years (2017-2019)
- “They responded well ahead of the promised time, always responsive. They have the sense towards the case, this gives us the added confidence.”
- “They were very detailed and meticulous during preparation and trial. Quick-witted too.”
- “Good and reliable. Always keep us informed of the progress.”
- Shearn Delamore & Co has a “renowned reputation in handling litigation relating to employment dismissal”, says a client. Beyond disputes, the practice has “an excellent grasp of the business and operational issues thus able to provide pragmatic and sound legal advice”, adds another client
- “The firm consistently provides not only sound but practical solutions coupled with a quick turnaround time,” says a client.
- Shearn Delamore & Co possesses one of the largest and “best run” labour and employment practices in the country, say peers and clients. The firm continues its dominance of the market, with one market observer noting: “The depth of the labour and employment practice at the firm is hard to beat. With its reputation as a top dispute resolution practice, the lawyers there are well equipped with all the necessary experience to get the best results.”
Singapore | Drew & Napier
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Employment 2021 – Tier 1 for 6 consecutive years
Kelvin Tan – Recommended Individual for 6 consecutive years
Lim Chong Kin – Recommended Individual; Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years (2016-2019)
Benjamin Gaw – Recommended Individual for 7 consecutive years
- Sources say Drew & Napier LLC “"distinguishes itself with its extensive knowledge of employment matters and the quality of its advice" and it "provides sound business advice that can be swiftly implemented.""
- “Drew & Napier LLC’s "responsive and incredibly thorough" team regularly handles the employment aspects of cross-border corporate transactions and mergers between multinational companies as well as investigations and raids by the regulator... Lim Chong Kin [is] also recommended.”
- “Kelvin Tan is a valuable resource for contentious matters.”
- “[Kelvin Tan] is always attuned to clients’ needs and available to discuss their concerns.”
- “’True subject matter expert’ Benjamin Gaw is ‘practical and efficient, able to deliver timely and accurately pitched advice’"
- “Benjamin Gaw handles non-contentious work such as data protection, immigration and post-acquisition matters. He is praised for his ‘quick turnaround time’.”
Employment 2021 – Band 2 for 8 consecutive years
Kelvin Tan – Band 3; Recognised practitioner for 3 consecutive years (2018-2020)
Benjamin Gaw – Band 3; Recognised practitioner in 2020
- One client describes their working relationship with the team as "positive, because they know our business inside out. Their key strengths include great depth of knowledge on the law, as well as going beyond this and taking on challenges."
- "Adept at bringing calm to the storm and guiding us through contentious employment matters that can get stressful in nature."
- A client notes that "Drew & Napier is our go-to law firm because of their impeccable and commercially sound advice."
- "The arguments they put forth are logical and I find that they are protecting our interest."
- “Excellent client services,” adding that it is “always prompt and responsive.”
- "They are very responsive and always answer the question. They don't just state the law like some law firms do. Instead they give you something you can actually use."
- "Extremely professional, sound advice and very prompt in serving their clients."
- "I am continually impressed by their thoroughness."
- "They have a proactive approach, they respond quickly and are willing to work on international projects."
- One client praises Kelvin for his "knowledge of employment legislation, referencing case laws around the world and applying it to our matters."
- Benjamin is described as "very helpful and extremely responsive".
Who's Who Legal
Labour & Employment 2020
Benjamin Gaw – Recommended Individual for 8 consecutive years
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Labour and Employment 2020 – Outstanding Firm for 5 consecutive years
Lia Alizia – Distinguished Practitioner for 3 consecutive years
- “Makarim is a good firm – they provide timely and practical advice.”
- “The advisory opinion has covered all the questions. The work was done in a timely manner. They are very professional.”
- “The attorneys at the firm are responsive, helpful and knowledgeable. We have been very pleased with their assistance.”
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Labour and Employment 2020 – Tier 1 for 7 consecutive years
- “Makarim & Taira S. compromises individuals who have a strong and deep knowledge of their own field and support one another.”
- “They respond swiftly to emails and urgent requests.”
- “The firm is very responsive and very commercial. When we need a quick response for a client, Makarim & Taira S. are always happy to oblige.”
Employment 2020 – Band 2 for 7 consecutive years
Lia Alizia – Band 2 Leading Individual for 4 consecutive years