- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar in May 1997
- Admitted to the New York Bar in 2004
Blossom’s practice is focused on debt restructuring and insolvency work. She is also actively involved in court (appearing before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal) and arbitration (SIAC, LCIA, HKIAC and IICRA) work, handling derivative actions, contentious commercial, shareholder, employment and other disputes.
She works extensively with clients based in Indonesia, China, Hong Kong, the US and Europe as well as Singapore. Blossom has been recognized in Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia-Pacific, IFLR1000, Asialaw Leading Lawyers, Asialaw Profiles and Best Lawyers International for her dispute resolution and restructuring/insolvency work.
Blossom’s recent restructuring and insolvency work includes the following:
- Advising Brightoil Petroleum (S’pore) Pte. Ltd. (“BOPS”), a subsidiary of the Hong Kong listed Brightoil Petroleum (Holdings) Limited (“BOHL”), in connection with the US$916 million debt restructuring of BOPS. The debt restructuring of BOPS is undertaken as part of a holistic US$1.9 billion debt restructuring of BOHL and its subsidiaries.
- Advising the Securities Investors Association (Singapore), which represents the informal steering committee for the (a) S$400 million 6% cumulative non-convertible non-voting perpetual class A preference shareholders and (b) S$500 million 6% perpetual capital security holders (collectively “Holders”) issued by Hyflux Limited, in connection with the S$2.64 billion debt restructuring proposed by Hyflux Limited, of which the Holders are owed S$900 million.
Blossom’s recent disputes related work includes the following:
- Obtaining a freezing order and an order for receivers to be appointed over the assets of GSF Capital Pte Ltd and its controlling director on the basis that they had committed a fraud of some EUR560 million against Suntech Power Holding Ltd, a listed company on the New York Stock Exchange and the world’s largest producer of crystalline silicon solar power units.
- Obtaining judgment from the High Court and the Court of Appeal in favour of the founder and minority shareholder of Dovechem Holdings Pte Ltd (DHPL) which is part of the Dovechem group, a major solvent and chemicals group with interests in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China and Vietnam.
- Obtaining an arbitration award of some US$93 million in favour of one of the largest privately own trading companies in the world.
Chambers Asia Pacific
Restructuring/Insolvency 2021 – Band 1 for 6 consecutive years
“She is someone who manages life and death and is someone who is very competent and whom you can trust; she has the decency to say: ‘Don't pursue this course of action, it's not commercial.’”
She is the “go-to litigator.”
“She is commercial and focused on delivering results.”
“She provides practical solutions to legal problems. She understands the commercial reality and explains the legal implications so that we can make informed decisions that suit our needs.”
Sources noting that she is “intelligent and someone you want on your side.”
“I find her to be very strong and very practical; she always gives us what we need.”
“Excellent lawyer who is very aggressive, intelligent and effective in litigation.”
Has “an incredible work ethic”
“Very competent, with lots of experience”
Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global
Dispute Resolution: Litigation 2020 – Recognised practitioner for 4 consecutive years
Asia Pacific Legal 500
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Dispute Resolution 2020 – Recommended lawyer for 3 consecutive years
“Has extensive experience working with clients from Indonesia, China and Hong Kong.”
IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Highly regarded
“Blossom stands out at her firm as a highly dedicated, conscientious and thoughtful. Blossom has a wealth of experience in insolvency and litigation in Singapore and is very versatile. She brings all her experience to bear in solving complex legal issues.”
“Extremely competent and commercial. Addresses not just the legal problems facing the client, but provides solutions tailored to the client's needs.”
“Highly skilled, intelligent, creative and aggressive litigator.”
Who’s Who Legal
Restructuring & Insolvency 2020 – Leading lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Identified as a Thought Leader in the field of Restructuring & Insolvency
Blossom Hing is a go-to name in the region. She earns effusive praise for her handling of debt restructurings and contentious matters both in court and in arbitration.
Investigations 2020 – Future Leaders
“Very affable and easy to work with” according to impressed sources who highlight her “fantastic attention to detail”.
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Insolvency and Reorganisation Law 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Litigation 2021 – Endorsed individual for 8 consecutive years
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Restructuring and Insolvency 2021 – Elite Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Market-leading lawyer for 3 consecutive years
“Blossom shows unbelievable commitment to her clients and helps them achieve goals in a commercial and efficient way.
“She is an excellent communicator and invariably gets on well with clients due to her very positive and effective ‘bed-side manner’ that puts clients at ease yet instils great confidence in Blossom's ability.”
“Blossom has been at the forefront of the recent developments in Singapore when it comes to rescuing companies and giving companies a fair opportunity to survive.
“She has a ‘can-do’ attitude and is different from her peers in Singapore who tend to see liquidation and similar processes as the answer for a distressed company. So, she is far more open-minded and creative than her peers in Singapore.”
“Blossom is the reason why we hire Drew & Napier. She is an excellent lawyer and very dedicated.”
“Blossom Hing is the standout individual in insolvency and restructuring. Blossom is very dedicated and hardworking and a pleasure to work with.”
“She is very responsive, determined, and an excellent person to work with,” says a client.
Another describes her as “very capable with a good grasp of Indonesian legal matters.”
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Insolvency 2020 – Identified as a Litigation Star for 3 consecutive years
Also identified as one of the Top 100 Women in Litigation in 2020
Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards
Named Woman Lawyer of the Year 2020 in recognition of her remarkable achievements not only in the practice of law, but also in the larger community especially in the empowerment of women
Women in Business Law Expert Guide
World’s leading female lawyers in 2020 – Listed lawyer
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Singapore’s Top 100 lawyers in 2019
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law (SAL)
- Member, Sub-committee on Litigation Funding in Insolvency Cases, SAL, Law Reform Committee
- Member, Advocacy Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- Fellow, Insolvency Practitioners Association of Singapore Limited (IPAS)
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (Singapore Chapter)
- Associate Mediator and Insolvency Mediator accredited by the Singapore Mediation Centre
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre Panel of Arbitrators
- Hainan International Arbitration Court Panel of Arbitrators
- Panel Assessor for COVID-19 Temporary Relief (PACT), appointed by the Minister for Law.
- Speaker/Panelist, “Seat of Arbitration and Arbitration Clauses” – 2nd IPBA Asia-Pac Arbitration Day, Kuala Lumpur, 8 September 2016
- Speaker/Panelist, “The Challenges Facing the Restructuring and Insolvency Profession” – INSOL International One Day Seminar, Kuala Lumpur, 28 November 2017
- Participant, Mock JIN Hearing, Singapore Insolvency Conferences in 2017 and 2018
- Speaker/Panelist, “Out of Court Workout Guidelines Chair” INSOL International One Day Seminar, Tokyo, 7 November 2019
- Speaker/Panelist, YSIAC Webinar on “Virtual Mock Hearing: Cross-Examination”, 15 May 2020
- Faculty Member, SIAC Indochina Academy “Time and Cost Savers at SIAC: Emergency Arbitration, Expedited Procedure and Early Dismissal”, 15 – 16 October 202
- Co-authored the Singapore Chapter in the annual publication of the International Comparative Legal Guide to Lending & Secured Finance from 2013 to 2020, published by Global Legal Group Ltd.
- Co-authored the Report of the Law Reform Committee on litigation funding in insolvency cases in 2014, published by the Singapore Academy of Law