- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore, 2004
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (2005)
Chern Yang is a banking and commercial matters litigator and also has extensive experience as a mediator.
Chern Yang has expertise in secured and unsecured facilities, debt recovery, bankruptcy and insolvency. Aside from banking litigation, Chern Yang has advised on a wide spectrum of issues such as defamation, contractual claims, medical and other professional misconduct or negligence, and landlord-tenant disputes. He also has experience in corporate commercial matters such as breach of fiduciary duty and shareholder disputes.
Chern Yang has also advised and acted for clients on issues pertaining to divorce, annulment and judicial separation and other ancillary matters such as custody, care and control of children, maintenance and division of assets.
He has also advised clients on data protection matters arising out of the application of the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) both in Singapore and as part of a global policy. He conducts training workshops, both in-house for clients as well as public workshops with the Singapore Academy of Law, to equip Data Protection Officers and other participants with the knowledge and skills for compliance with the PDPA.
Chern Yang is a proficient mediator and was one of the youngest to be appointed as a Principal Mediator and Fellow of the Singapore Mediation Centre. He regularly teaches mediation and has done so for the Judiciary in Brunei, Thailand and Myanmar.
Some of the matters in which Chern Yang has acted include:
- Lead counsel in successfully defending a client in dismissing an application for Committal against the client and related proceedings (UNE v UNF  SGHCF 9;  SGHCF 15).
- Lead counsel in the Singapore International Commercial Court for an international coloration specialist and textile solution provider in a minority oppression dispute and a claim against its directors for breaches of fiduciary duties (DyStar Global Holdings (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Kiri Industries Limited & Ors  5 SLR 1).
- Lead counsel in successfully striking out a multi-million dollar claim in the High Court on the basis that the contractual clause in a settlement agreement was unenforceable by reason of it being a penalty (Allplus Holdings Pte Ltd & Ors v Phoon Wui Nyen  SGHC 144).
- Lead counsel, before both the High Court and the Court of Appeal, defending an ex-employee of an oil and gas consultancy company against claims brought by his former employer alleging breaches of employment duties (Schonk Antonius Martinus Mattheus v Enholco Pte Ltd  2 SLR 881; Enholco Pte Ltd v Schonk  SGHC 20;  SGHC 108).
- Acting for an individual against an Austrian-incorporated bank in respect of losses suffered on his investment portfolio following the Asian financial crisis of 1997/8 (Go Dante Yap v Bank Austria Creditanstalt AG  4 SLR 916).
The Asia Pacific Legal 500
Dispute Resolution 2019 – Recommended Lawyer
Sources say that Chern Yang is “a good team player” and a “strategic thinker”
Recognised as an Outstanding Court Volunteer (Advocate and Solicitor) 2015 by the State Courts of Singapore
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law
- List of Mediators, WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center
- International Mediator, Singapore International Mediation Centre
- Council Member, Law Society of Singapore (2013 – 2014)
- International Mediation Institute (IMI) and Singapore International Mediation Institute (SIMI) Certified Mediator
- Principal Mediator & Fellow, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Mediator, MOHH Healthcare Mediation Scheme
- Vice-Chairperson, Society of Mediation Professionals (Singapore) (2019 – 2020)
- Vice-Chairperson, Law Society of Singapore Mediation Committee (2019)
- Court Volunteer Mediator, State Courts Centre for Dispute Resolution