Drew Network Asia’s (DNA) Data Compliance & Cybersecurity Practice includes firms at the forefront of the development of these fields in their respective countries. Many countries around the world, including several within ASEAN, have enacted data protection and cybersecurity laws to better protect individuals’ personal data and national information systems infrastructure. Our lawyers have advised on all aspects of such laws, including regulatory/enforcement, commercial and international/cross-border aspects.
We aim to be the leading legal practice in this field in the region. DNA’s constituent firms have lawyers with numerous years of experience in these and related fields as well as, in some cases, dedicated Data Protection & Cybersecurity practices.
Our firms’ work in these fields precedes the advent of national laws such as Malaysia’s Personal Data Protection Act 2010, Indonesia’s Electronic Information and Transactions Law, Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act 2012 and Cybersecurity Act 2018, as well as various other national laws relating to telecommunications, media, information technology and cybercrime which may also establish general or sectoral requirements relating to data protection and/or cybersecurity.
We act for a wide variety of clients in relation to data protection and cybersecurity compliance. These include many prominent and well-known multinational / foreign corporations, Internet companies, local companies across different industries and, in some cases, national data protection authorities. Our experience includes advising on or providing the following, amongst others:
- Implementation of company / group-wide compliance programmes;
- Localisation of global/regional data protection policies;
- Establishment of the internal data protection function and required internal processes;
- Contracts for data processing and cross-border data transfers, as well as data protection provisions for a variety of contracts;
- Employment-related aspects of data protection including protection of foreign employees’ personal data;
- Sectoral data protection and cybersecurity requirements;
- Data breach management and notification;
- Compliance and regulatory risk audits and impact assessments;
- Data protection and cybersecurity compliance training;
- Enforcement–related issues, regulatory appeals and offences relating to data protection, cybersecurity and related areas; and
- Disputes and civil proceedings relating to data protection and/or cybersecurity issues.
Lim Chong KinManaging Director, Corporate & Finance / Head, Competition, Consumer & Regulatory / Head, Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT) / Head, Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity
David AlfredDirector, Corporate & Finance / Co-Head, Data Protection, Privacy & Cybersecurity / Co-Head and Programme Director, Drew Data Protection & Cybersecurity Academy
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Timothy SiawPartner, Intellectual Property / Head, Technology, Media & Telco / Partner, Healthcare and Life Sciences
Raymond T.C. LowPartner / Employment & Administrative Law / Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Listed as one of the world’s top 100 data law firms in Global Data Review’s inaugural GDR 100 2021
- “The firm provides a seamless and personalised service that gives you surety that the lawyers in charge are considering your matters after putting down the phone. It doesn’t attempt to bill for every bit of advice, and doesn’t give constant disclaimers to fend off liability, which is a sign of confidence. In urgent situations, its lawyers are prepared to give advice directly, without insisting upon written instructions. The firm has a wide global network which gives easy access to reputable and reliable lawyers in other jurisdictions – it has relationships with these and so isn’t just name dropping.”
- “Whether you have a fat or lean legal budget, Chong Kin remains consistent as a true partner and far-sighted adviser. His knowledge of data protection law is impressive but, best of all, he is able to advise about the regulator’s stance and the rationale behind the law. He is also incredibly responsive and gives matters his personal attention.”
Who’s Who Legal
Data (IT, Telecoms & Media) 2019/20
Lim Chong Kin - Leading Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Chambers Asia Pacific
TMT 2020 - Band 1 for 13 consecutive years
Lim Chong Kin - Leading Individual for 13 consecutive years
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
IT, Telco & Media 2020 - Highly recommended for 2 consecutive years
Asia Pacific Legal 500
IT and Telecoms 2020 – Tier 2 for 3 consecutive years
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Technology & Telecommunications 2020 – Highly recommended firm
Asia Pacific Legal 500
TMT 2020 - Tier 3