- LL.B. (Hons), National University of Singapore (1999)
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (2000)
Chris is a Singapore qualified dispute resolution lawyer with a substantial experience in commercial disputes. He is an experienced lead counsel who has successfully argued cases at all levels of the Singapore Courts (including its highest court, the Court of Appeal), in arbitrations (both international and domestic) and in adjudications.
Over the last two decades, Chris has developed a market reputation as a go-to lawyer for banking, construction and natural resources disputes.
He has an enviable win record for high-net-worth individuals against financial institutions and is involved in some of the largest private banking cases in Singapore. In 2018, Chris represented an ultra-high-net-worth individual in a claim for more than US$250 million in a Singapore High Court trial against a large international bank.
Chris acts for some of the largest international and domestic players in the construction sector, and works on many of the biggest projects in Singapore. These range from private sector projects such as Resorts World Sentosa, to public sector projects such as the Downtown Line (part of the Singapore subway). He is an experienced counsel in high value construction arbitrations and has been involved in more than 100 adjudications and adjudication reviews since 2013, with the largest being S$116 million (which remains one of the largest to date). Chris is an accredited adjudicator with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
Chris regularly represents resource owners in mining disputes outside Singapore and also acts for traders in supply disputes for a variety of commodities such as coal and sulphur.
Chris has handled many high profile matters. Here are just a few:
Infrastructure and Construction
- Representing various parties in more than 100 statutory adjudications commenced under the Building and Construction Authority Security of Payment Act.
- Representing a contractor in a SIAC arbitration in relation to an airport project in Singapore with claims and counterclaims in excess of S$100 million.
Dispute Resolution, Arbitration & Litigation
- Representing the previous owners of a Cambodian Casino in a SIAC arbitration against the present owners with claims and counterclaims of more than US$300 million.
- Representing the owner of a substantial Indonesian coal mine against their off-take partner in four SIAC arbitrations with claims and counterclaims of more than US$60 million and related Singapore court proceedings.
- Representing an ultra-high-net-worth individual in his claim against Deutsche Bank AG for more than US$250 million in the Singapore courts for breach of contract, negligence and misrepresentation.
Construction 2021 – Band 3; Leading Lawyer in 2020
"A very sound construction lawyer."
A client praised his "knowledge and practical experience," added that "he is excellent and has a very bright mind."
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Construction 2021 – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Who’s Who Legal
Construction 2020 – Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Best Lawyers International: Singapore
Construction Law 2021 – Endorsed Individual
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
Construction and Dispute Resolution 2020 – Litigation Star
Legal Media Group Expert Guides
Identified as an expert in Construction in Singapore in 2019
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law
- Senior Accredited Specialist (Building & Construction), Singapore Academy of Law
- Accredited Adjudicator, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Society of Construction Law (Singapore)