- B.A. (Hons), Oxford University (UK, 2004)
- Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law, National University of Singapore (2005)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar Advocate and Solicitor (2006)
Gerui studied law at Oxford University and graduated in 2004. She returned to Singapore and obtained the Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law. After getting called to the Singapore Bar in 2006, Gerui joined Drew & Napier where she has since been practicing as a litigator. In 2016, she was named among Singapore's 70 most influential lawyers under 40 by the Singapore Business Review.
Gerui practices corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration. She has represented high profile clients and high net worth individuals in a variety of matters including complex commercial disputes, director/ shareholder fights, trust and inheritance disputes, regulatory actions and banking and finance disputes.
Some of the notable cases Gerui has handled include:
- Acting for the Government of Laos in an application to set aside a Tribunal’s jurisdictional ruling in an investor-state arbitration involving claims of more than US$890 million. The arbitration was brought by a Macanese company which alleged that its casino and gambling-related investments in Laos had been unlawfully expropriated. This high-profile case raised public international law questions of whether the Bilateral Investment Treaty between Laos and the PRC applied to the Macao SAR and whether disputes over expropriation were arbitrable under the BIT.
- Acting for a state-owned Russian company against a Yukos Group entity to resist enforcement of an ICC arbitral award of over $80 million. The case involved concurrent litigation in Russia, France and Ireland.
- Acting in a major trust dispute over the ownership of assets of US$600 million to US$800 million. The matter involved complex corporate trust structures based in the British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands.
- Acting for an international banking group in high-profile investigations by the Commercial Affairs Department and Monetary Authority of Singapore into suspected money-laundering transactions involving a foreign state-owned investment vehicle.
- Acting for the Monetary Authority of Singapore in the first two civil penalty actions commenced in the Singapore Courts under the Securities and Futures Act. Both cases resulted in landmark judgments by the Singapore Court of Appeal - one on market manipulation and the other on insider trading.
Global Arbitration Review 9th edition (2016)
A client praised the “excellent” Gerui Lim in the Global Arbitration Review 9th edition (2016).
India Business Law Journal
In the India Business Law Journal (June 2015 issue), a client that engaged the firm on an international arbitration matter described Gerui as “very skilled and extremely dedicated to the needs of the client”.
- Assessor, Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief, Ministry of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- YSIAC Committee Member (2019)