Jimmy S. Y. Liew
Arbitration & Mediation
Private Wealth & Family Business
- LL. B (Hons), University of London
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Jimmy acted in a wide range of corporate and commercial disputes, both in Court and in arbitration. He has also acted in disputes involving fraud and forgery, probate and administration, landlords and tenants, and is experienced with liquidation and insolvency matters.
- Involved in the Genting Family dispute. Acted for the late Puan Sri Lim Goh Tong and subsequently the executors of her estate including Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay and Datuk Lim Chee Wah in multiple litigations. These included a corporate dispute with assets value of no less than RM400 million and the probate action in challenging the validity of the late Puan Sri Lim Goh Tong’s last will and testament.
- Represented Lam Soon Edible Oils Sdn Bhd in an investigation involving the shortfall of 10,526 metric tonnes of RBD Palm Oil and Olein 56 in its Pasir Gudang plant and a subsequent claim in Court against its former employees for fraud and conspiracy, negligence and breach of duties. The trial involved 31 witnesses and over 300 bundles of documents, and went on for 2 years.
- Represented Malaysian Airport in proceedings to compel the provision of cellular access network services to the airport. This involved obtaining a mandatory injunction within a very short timeframe to prevent the shutting off of such cellular access network services which would have impacted the operations of the airport.
- Represented a local investment company in an international arbitration under the International Chamber of Commerce against overseas entities on a joint venture to commission and construct a bitumen / asphalt plant with parallel oppression litigations which went up to the Federal Court.
- Representing Equiticorp Holdings Limited, a member of the committee of inspection, in the liquidation of City Centre Sdn Bhd involving the sale of a piece of land at RM516 million and related litigations.
- Representing the receivers and managers of the owners of Tanjung Rhu Resort in various litigations and the sale of its resort in Langkawi, Malaysia.
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators