- B.Sc (Hons) Law and Chemistry, University of Keele, UK
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln’s Inn
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Registered Patent Agent
- Registered Trademark Agent
- Registered Industrial Design Agent
Jyeshta is a qualified Patent and Trademark Agent. She has broad experience in Intellectual Property (IP) and advises predominantly on transactional, advisory and regulatory work relating to various aspects of IP. In addition, her core practise areas includes particular emphasis on the protection, maintenance and enforcement of IP rights including IP related agreements, trademark prosecution, trademark searches and registrability, trademark opposition and rectification proceedings, copyright, patent prosecution and industrial design. She also handles cases relating to consumer laws, advertising, franchising, sponsorship, merchandising, media, consumer protection, domain names and regulatory approvals for food and drugs and also assists with IP enforcement through relevant government agencies.
Jyeshta also advises on competition laws, including the interaction between competition and IP. She also advises on data privacy laws and compliance issues relating to the collection and use of personal data including review of data protection notices.
Acted for various clients in corporate transactions where IP considerations including IP advisory and regulatory issues play a paramount role in the acquisition. One such transaction is for DKSH Holdings Sdn. Bhd in its commercial acquisition of Auric Pacific (M) Sdn. Bhd which involved multiple issues including due diligence and advisory issues given the numerous brands acquired at the successful conclusion of the project.
Prosecution & Advisory
Involved in advising various organisations including companies such as Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad, Nippon Paint Malaysia Sdn Bhd and Filtex Marketing Sdn Bhd in handling various aspects of local and foreign trademark portfolios including in conducting trademark clearance, trademark prosecution, drafting of various agreements, providing opinion on legal strategies, risk analysis and comprehensive strategies and solutions to ensure compliance along with local laws along with compliance with the Madrid Protocol.
Asialaw Leading Lawyers
Competition & Antitrust 2019 – Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
Intellectual Property 2019 – Leading Lawyer for 3 consecutive years
In the 2018 edition of Asialaw Profiles, a client praised Jyeshta Mahendran for being “very efficient in processing trademark application[s] and responds very promptly to inquiries.”
Asia IP Experts
Trademarks, Copyright 2015, 2017 & 2019 – Leading lawyer
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2020 – Recommended Lawyer
… and the 'extremely efficient' Jyeshta Mahendran focuses on the protection, maintenance and enforcement of rights.
“Jyeshta Mahendran keeps the client up to date on progress of trademark applications, provides sound advice and very professional.”
Who’s Who Legal
Trademarks 2020 – Identified as a Global Leader for 2 consecutive years
World Trademark Review
Prosecution and Strategy 2020 – Recommended Individual for 8 consecutive years
- Asia-Pacific Co-Chairs, Bulletins Committee of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
- Committee Member, Malaysian Intellectual Property Association (MIPA)
- IP Committee Member, IP Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Copyright Committee Member, Asia Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Committee Member (Branding & IPR), Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM)
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Radio Interview on IP Developments in Malaysia in the last decade with BFM Radio (2019)
- Interview on the feature article “The Curious Case of the Tongkat Ali Extract Patent” - Asia IP (2019)
- How Does Competition Law Interact with IP Law- Managing IP (2018)
- IP during Challenging Economic Times - Asia IP (2017)
- Business Brief - World Trademark Review (2015 and 2016)
- Industrial Design Protection - Asia IP (2013)
- Competitive Changes (Competition Act) - Asia IP (2011)
- Aiming for an Innovation Economy - Managing IP (2011)