Being a network of the oldest and largest IP practices in the region, we have decades of experience helping our clients protect and extract value from their trademarks, patents, industrial designs, plant varieties, circuits, copyright, domain names and trade secrets. Our tier one multi-award winning teams are regularly retained by the largest MNCs, Fortune 500 companies, state-owned organisations, financial institutions, SMEs and start-ups from a diverse range of industries.
Our teams comprise an IP adjudicator appointed by the IP Office of Singapore (IPOS) to hear disputes, certified patent valuation specialists, an expert panellist appointed by the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO), a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SiArb) and more than 200 locally and overseas qualified patent attorneys, advocates and solicitors, executives and support staff that have remained at the forefront of technology with the ability to prosecute, manage and enforce our clients’ highly technical and complex intellectual property assets including those involving Life Sciences, Fintech, Biotech, AI, engineering (computer, electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, chemical), chemistry and blockchain.
We provide the full range of services, from pre-filing advisory and freedom-to-operate searches, clearance, drafting, filing, prosecution, maintenance as well as analysing and reviewing our clients’ portfolios, advising on monetising and licensing options as well as guiding our clients in the valuation of all their intellectual property assets.
We are well-versed in helping clients navigate local and cross-border commercial transactions and regulatory approval processes which involve IP, IT and competition law. These include franchising, acquisitions, asset transfers and regulatory approvals in various industries including pharmaceutical, entertainment, telecommunication, media and gaming.
Enforcement is another strong suit for all the IP teams in our network. Our top-notch litigation teams are the first port of call for clients involved in IP disputes and are repeatedly picked to tackle the most complex, high-valued and precedent setting IP disputes at all levels of the Courts and Registries.
Our clients trust us to handle all aspects of IP litigation from executing warrants for infringement offences, defending criminal actions for infringement, applications for urgent injunctions and search orders, passing off actions, opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings, infringement and actions for breach of licensing/distribution/franchising agreements as well as breach of confidentiality obligations.
We also proactively assist clients in protecting and enforcing their rights against counterfeiting, piracy and infringement including crafting enforcement strategies by work closely with Customs and other relevant authorities in our respective jurisdictions as well as conduct regular market surveys, online market monitoring and raids to facilitate and ensure prompt seizure of counterfeits.
Our win-rate and undeniable expertise has allowed each of our teams to be consistently singled out by clients and prominent trade publications. In a world where technology is constantly evolving, what defines the core of our IP practice is our ability to quickly understand the technicalities of each industry and deliver swift, practical and quality advice to meet the clients’ business objectives in a cost effective manner.
Our practice areas include:
- IP Prosecution
- IP Enforcement, Litigation and Arbitration
- IP Commercialisation and Advisory (including portfolio management, licensing, franchising and regulatory issues)
- Data Protection and Privacy
- IP and Competition Law
- Telecommunication and IP
Tony YeoManaging Director, Intellectual Property / Director, Dispute Resolution / Head, Healthcare & Life Sciences
Yvonne TangDirector, Intellectual Property
Lia AliziaManaging Partner / Intellectual Property / Employment / Banking & Finance (Litigation) / Dispute Resolution / Arbitration & Litigation / Competition Law
Karen AbrahamPartner / Head, Intellectual Property / Technology, Media & Telco / Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws
Indran ShanmuganathanPartner / Intellectual Property / Personal Data Protection & Privacy Laws / Competition Law & Antitrust
Singapore | Drew & Napier
Intellectual Property 2021 – Band 1 for 14 consecutive years
Tony Yeo – Band 1 for 3 consecutive years; Band 2 for 10 consecutive years (2009 to 2018)
Morris John – Senior Statesman for 8 consecutive years
- “Large and established IP department in Singapore with in-depth experience in contentious IP matters across patents, designs, trade marks, copyrights, licensing, franchising and confidentiality agreements. Particularly adept at handling passing-off actions.”
- “Deep bench of lawyers with cross-border expertise spanning China, Malaysia and the USA.”
- Sources say the IP practice is a "powerhouse in Singapore with very talented lawyers, who think globally while acting locally".
- "Aone-stop shop for legal matters in Singapore and a real powerhouse of a firm in South-East Asia."
- "The strength of the firm is the IP department, which is very efficient and whose turnaround time is fast."
- The team is also praised for being "very attentive to client needs, technically strongand good at project management," and are "very good at ensuring a seamless service", adding that:
- "They are really lovely to deal with; very hospitable and well organised. Everything you would expect from a top firm."
- "A strong IP practice that provides sound and practical advice."
- “The team is very responsive, knowledgeable and hard-working. Their grasp of details is impressive.”
- “They are a very strong team, especially when it comes to contentious IP work.”
- Sources say that “You can take comfort knowing that Tony is at the wheel when driving forward your litigation in unchartered legal landscapes".
- Tony is "a seasoned patent litigator".
- “He quickly understands complex IP issues and is able to convey them in a way that is easy to understand,” adding: “He understands the client's needs and delivers results that meet the company's strategy and goals. He is also very creative and thinks outside the box.”
- “He is extremely hands-on, clear in his thinking, has foresight and draws a lot of perspective from his past experience to evaluate the next steps."
- "...with Tony we are well informed, and he always walks in with a sound plan which makes it easy to make an informed decision.”
- "[Tony] leverages on his strong healthcare and life sciences sector expertise and regularly acts for major pharmaceutical clients in notable patent infringement disputes."
- "A highly reputed litigator in the IP practice who is described as both "hugely enthusiastic" and "very commercial.""
- “A very confident individual who always stays on top of the situation."
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2021 – Tier 1 for 22 consecutive years
Tony Yeo – Hall of Fame for 2 consecutive years; Leading Lawyer for 10 consecutive years
Yvonne Tang – Recommended Lawyer for 4 consecutive years
Lim Siau Wen – Recommended Lawyer for 2 consecutive years
Meryl Koh – Next Generation Lawyer for 5 consecutive years
- “Strategic and first-class lawyers. One of the best in the IP litigation arena. Possess a depth of knowledge, great commercial sense, and responsive. Consistently delivers reliable, excellent, and practical advice and work. Able to handle highly complex work."
- "A fantastic legal team. They work closely as one unit. Their depth of knowledge, aggressiveness in litigation strategy and business savviness is outstanding."
- Sources say that Drew & Napier LLC's “’very sharp team' provides 'practical business-focused advice' on all types of IP assets”.
- Drew & Napier LLC’s ‘tenacious’ team is ‘meticulous and strategic in providing advice, seeing the big picture while drilling down into the finer points’.”
- “Drew & Napier is the best there is when it comes to litigation.”
- “The lawyers at Drew & Napier LLC excel in their ‘knowledge of local legislation’ and litigation.
- “Tony Yeo and Meryl Koh are sharp and appropriately aggressive lawyers whom you will want on your side. Possessing good commercial sense and great depth of knowledge as subject matter experts, they will be able to value-add by strategising approaches for the best outcomes. First-class lawyers.”
- Tony Yeo is a “fantastic strategist and a great litigator”.
- Meryl Koh is noted for “her great eye for detail, as well as an ability to see the big picture”.
- “[Cecelia] is flexible in responding to clients’ needs.”
International & Cross-Border Capabilities 2020 – Leading Firm
- Chambers Global says that “The firm has especially well-developed international capabilities in the contentious arena. The team is very active in international arbitration, cross-border investigations, contentious and transactional IP and regulatory work across the South-East Asian region, India and China.”
Malaysia | Shearn Delamore & Co.
Intellectual Property 2021 – Band 1 for 12 consecutive years
Karen Abraham – Band 1 Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years
Indran Shanmuganathan – Band 2 Leading Individual for 2 consecutive years
Timothy Siaw – Band 3 Leading Individual for 12 consecutive years
- One interviewee regards it as "the standout firm in Malaysia for IP."
- A client highlights the team's "high level of professionalism, promptness in handling enquiries and providing updates on cases they are handling."
- Another client reports it is "a very competent firm which is always responsive and good value."
- Clients commend the team's proactivity, describing its lawyers as "responsible, dedicated and efficient."
- Sources also applaud the firm's overall resources, noting that it has "a strong team of people, with a fair amount of depth."
- Clients heap praise on the department, noting the quality of the service provided: "They are excellent at keeping us up to date on the progress of things - we never have to chase them for information."
- Another interviewee commends the quality of their work: "They give well thought-out and detailed assessments when requested."
- One client says: "They are professional, client service-oriented and the fees are reasonable."
- A further client states: "For a firm of their stature, it is definitely value for money," while another enthuses that the firm's value is "more than just monetary. It's the amount of effort - they want to win for you."
- "A well-established and well-respected firm, with many international customers who are pleased with their performance."
- "Their arguments were good and their communications clear."
- Sources say: "Indisputably number one, they have a good client base and are strong in litigation."
- A source reports that they are "very knowledgeable, experienced and prompt in responding to enquiries and taking action. They keep us updated on the progress of matters and are accessible. They provide excellent client service."
- A client appreciates that the firm works with "speed, practicality and commerciality, and is willing to work within our corporate processes."
The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific
Intellectual Property 2020 - Top Tier for 11 consecutive years
Karen Abraham – Hall of Fame and Leading Lawyer for 11 consecutive years
Timothy Siaw – Leading Lawyer
Indran Shanmuganathan – Recommended Lawyer
Zaraihan Shaari – Recommended Lawyer
Jyeshta Mahendran – Recommended Lawyer
Michelle Loi – Recommended Lawyer
- “The firm has expertise encompassing all manner of intellectual property related legal work.”
- “The firm has expertise encompassing all manner of intellectual property related legal work. With a number of senior IP practitioners, they have greater depth of knowledge and experience.”
- “Their advice is timely and cost-effective and they always take their client’s business needs into account.”
Intellectual Property 2021 – Outstanding for 5 consecutive years
Karen Abraham – Elite Practitioner for 2 consecutive years and Leading Lawyers for 8 years
Indran Shanmuganathan – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years and Leading Lawyers (2017 - 2019)
Timothy Siaw – Distinguished Practitioner for 2 consecutive years
Jyeshta Mahendran – Leading Lawyer
Indonesia | Makarim & Taira S.
Intellectual Property in 2020 - Notable Firm
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
- “Excellent Jakarta-based law firm. Very responsive and collaborate in multi-jurisdictional teams very well.”
- “They are reliable and provide excellent technical and practical advice in a difficult jurisdiction. They advise us on a broad range of issues including dispute resolution, regulatory compliance, employment law and transaction work in Indonesia.”
- “Responsive, cost effective and good understanding of industry and regulatory issues.”
- “Good teamwork.”
- “The firm is very responsive and very commercial. When we need a quick response for a client, Makarim & Taira S. are always happy to oblige.”
- “Makarim & Taira S. has provided excellent, sufficiently detailed and timely advice on our projects.”
- “Fast response and very strong advisory capability.”
Asian Legal Business
IP Rankings 2018-2019 – Tier 3 law firm for 2 consecutive years