- LL.B (Hons) King’s College London (2007)
- BCL Oxford University (2008)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (2011)
Man Er handles complex disputes. She has successfully represented clients in both litigation and international arbitration proceedings.
Man Er graduated with First Class Honours in law from King’s College London in 2007 and obtained a Bachelor of Civil Laws from Oxford University in 2008.
Before joining Drew & Napier LLC in 2010, Man Er was a Justices’ Law Clerk and an Assistant Registrar at the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Man Er has assisted clients to resolve a variety of disputes. These include disputes relating to contract, tort, banking and finance, equity and trusts, company law, property law, insolvency and the enforcement of arbitration agreements and arbitral awards.
Man Er also has significant experience in corporate, anti-money laundering and regulatory investigations. She has advised companies in the banking and financial services, transport, hospitality, construction and manufacturing industries on all aspects of their investigations as well as regulatory enforcement and compliance issues.
Some of the matters which Man Er has acted in include:
- Successfully acted for clients in matters before the Singapore Courts relating to the setting aside and enforcement of international arbitration awards. One of such cases is Bloomberry Resorts and Hotels Inc and another v Global Gaming Philippines LLC and another  SGHC 1.
- Successfully represented a Singapore listed company in appeals before the Court of Appeal relating to an application by that company for legal proceedings to be stayed in Singapore on the ground that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was the more appropriate forum to hear the dispute.
- Obtained a favourable result for an entrepreneur in three international SIAC arbitrations instituted by a listed telecommunications company and its subsidiary. The claimants alleged breaches of noncompete, non-solicitation and confidentiality clauses in sale and purchase agreements entered into between the parties as part of a joint venture and sought payment of sums in excess of S$60 million.
- Acted for Singapore’s major rail operator, SMRT Trains Ltd, in a national inquiry into two train service disruptions in December 2011. In the course of the Committee of Inquiry proceedings, about 100 witnesses and more than 12 experts gave evidence on incident management procedures and complex technical and engineering issues.
- Successfully defended a global investment bank, at trial and on appeal, against claims in excess of S$20 million brought by a private banking customer for investment losses arising from accumulator transactions.
- Successfully represented the “effective wife” of a prominent doctor, at trial and on appeal, in a dispute over assets valued at more than S$20 million. The case involved the application of the Mental Capacity Act. Indemnity costs were ordered in favour of the client.
Asia Business Law Journal
Identified as one of Singapore’s Top 100 lawyers 2019
Sources say: ”[Kong Man Er] is responsive, proactive, knowledgeable, practical, commercially perceptive, strategic, meticulous and flexible if required”
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore