- LL.B. (First Class Honours), National University of Singapore
- LL.M. (International Legal Studies), New York University
- Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (2019)
- Attorney and Counselor-at-Law in the State of New York (2022)
Samuel acts for clients in mainly civil and commercial disputes, and maintains an active litigation and arbitration practice. He has appeared before the Singapore Courts and arbitral tribunals mainly as junior counsel.
Samuel is dual-qualified, having been admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore and also as an Attorney and Counselor-at-Law in the State of New York.
Samuel graduated with a Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours from the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2016. He also holds a Master of Laws with a specialisation in International Legal Studies from New York University (NYU).
Prior to joining Drew & Napier in 2019, Samuel was a Justices’ Law Clerk at the Supreme Court of Singapore.
In 2022, Samuel was appointed Young Amicus Curiae in an appeal before the Singapore High Court that raised novel issues of criminal procedure in the context of disposal inquiries. In the judgment issued for this matter, the Court broadly agreed with all his recommendations on the questions posed, and “thank[ed] Mr Koh for his comprehensive submissions that were of assistance to this court”: William Lim Tien Hou v Ling Kok Hua  SGHC 18.
- Successfully acted for a Chinese government-linked company in an SIAC-administered arbitration commenced under the UNCITRAL Rules in respect of a dispute arising from the construction of a coal-fired supercritical thermal ultra-mega power plant located in India. The claims and counterclaims amount to more than US$579million, and involve English law, Singapore law and Indian law. Personally cross-examined one of the factual witnesses at the merits hearing before the tribunal consisting of three renowned arbitrators. The client was awarded US$146million in damages. The matter also involves parallel proceedings seeking interim asset preservation relief before the Delhi High Court.
- Acting for a Chinese government-linked company in resisting an application brought in the Singapore International Commercial Court to set aside a final award issued in an arbitration conducted under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- Successfully acted for a Chinese High Net Worth individual in proceedings before the Singapore High Court relating to alleged breaches of contract and trust alleged by a Chinese corporation. The client faced claims of breach of contract, trust and/or duties owed to the plaintiff, by allegedly failing to return sums in excess of S$3 million. The High Court did not find in favour of the client at first instance. However, the team successfully overturned the first instance decision on appeal to the Appellate Division of the High Court in Ma Binxiang v Hainan Hui Bang Construction Investment Group Ltd  SGHC(A) 37.
- Successfully set aside a world-wide Mareva injunction before the Singapore High Court that was obtained by the Plaintiff against the client’s assets (in excess of US$20million), on the basis of the Plaintiff’s failure to show a real risk of dissipation of the client’s assets and an abuse of the Court’s process.
- Representing J.P. Morgan (S.E.A.) Limited (JPM), a Singapore-incorporated wholly owned subsidiary of JPMorgan Chase & Co, in a matter before the Singapore High Court involving claims in fraudulent misrepresentation and unlawful means conspiracy brought by retail investors against primarily banks who were the underwriters of investment notes issued to the investors. The claims are valued at SG$35.75 million.
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2023
“Samuel was on top of all the details and had a clear vision of how to progress the matters at the heart of the case.”
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2020-present)
- Member, International Relations Committee, Law Society of Singapore (2022)
- Member, YSIAC
- Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Member, ICC Singapore Arbitration Group
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, New York State Bar Association