- LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore (2008)
- University Degree in French Legal Studies, University of Poitiers (2007)
Shumin has an active disputes practice and is experienced in complex contractual disputes, shareholder's disputes, company law issues, and tortious actions. She also has particular experience with freezing injunctions.
In addition, she has handled judicial reviews, competition investigations and dawn raids.
Shumin has acted for a wide range of clients from various industries before the Singapore Courts and in international arbitrations. This includes acting for industry leaders in the retail, hospitality, and shipping industries as well as venture capitalists and high net individuals.
Shumin graduated on the overall Dean’s List from the National University of Singapore and was placed fourth in the Singapore Bar exams. In the course of her undergraduate studies, she also obtained a University Degree in French Legal Studies from the University of Poitiers.
- Lead counsel for a leading web 3 decentralised finance company and its founders in a high-value SIAC arbitration. The arbitration involves technical issues relating to blockchain technology and source codes.
- Lead counsel for a global investment firm focused on crypto assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain technology in High Court action to recover millions of dollars worth of cryptocurrency which it had been defrauded of. During these proceedings, successfully obtained a freezing injunction and proprietary injunction against persons unknown, and the first order in Singapore permitting service by NFT.
- Lead counsel for the beneficiaries of a multi-million-dollar estate in a High Court action against the professional trustees of the estate, seeking orders that the trustees repay millions of dollars to the estate by reason of their breach of fiduciary duties.
- Lead counsel for a local partner of a Myanmar joint venture, in a multi-million-dollar SIAC arbitration commenced by the foreign multi-national corporation joint venture partner for breach of a loan agreement.
- Lead counsel for a Saudi Arabian conglomerate in a multi-million-dollar SIAC arbitration involving claims of breach of loan agreement.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Dispute Resolution 2024 – Recommended lawyer
Asian Legal Business
Identified as one of 40 bright legal minds in the region under the age of 40 – “40 Under 40 list” (October 2020 issue)
Shumin is described as “knowledgeable, analytical, reliable and meticulous… Often working on tight deadlines, Shumin can be counted on to respond, even on weekends. We are very pleased with the legal advice and attention that Shumin has provided. She is very quick to grasp the issues and thorough in her analysis and advice.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 20 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2019 – Listed lawyer
asialaw Leading Lawyers 2023 edition
“Very knowledgeable in the areas that she practises and provides very clear and detailed analysis of the law.”
“Has a quick grasp of issues. Keen attention to detail without losing sight of the broad strategy.”
- Vice-Chairperson, Law Society Women In Practice Committee
- Member, Law Society Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Member, Singapore Together Alliance for Action to tackle online harms, especially those targeted at women and girls, Ministry of Communications and Information
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Co-author of Chambers Global Practice Guide: Litigation, 2023 edition – Singapore
- Co-author of Singapore Civil Procedure, Sweet & Maxwell, 2019 – Discovery.
- Co-author of legaleSE, A Legal Handbook for Social Enterprises, Law Society of Singapore, 2015 – Restraint of trade.