- LL.B (Hons), National University of Singapore (2008)
- University Degree in French Legal Studies, University of Poitiers (2007)
Shumin has an active disputes practice and is experienced in complex contractual disputes, shareholder's disputes, company law issues, and tortious actions. She also has particular experience with freezing injunctions.
In addition, she has handled judicial reviews, competition investigations and dawn raids.
Shumin has acted for a wide range of clients from various industries before the Singapore Courts and in international arbitrations. This includes acting for industry leaders in the retail, hospitality, and shipping industries as well as venture capitalists and high net individuals.
Shumin graduated on the overall Dean’s List from the National University of Singapore and was placed fourth in the Singapore Bar exams. In the course of her undergraduate studies, she also obtained a University Degree in French Legal Studies from the University of Poitiers.
- Successfully argued before the High Court for the variation of two separate Mareva Injunctions, both of which exceeded S$10 million in terms of the value of the assets frozen under the injunction. In a separate matter, successfully resisted an application to set aside a Mareva Injunction which applied to assets of a value exceeded US$130 million in total.
- Led the mediation of a $40 million dispute, which resulted in a favourable settlement for the client, who was a high net worth individual. The dispute was multi-faceted involving issues in Singapore, Brunei and other jurisdictions. Opposing Senior Counsel was impressed with Shumin’s tenacity, saying she “should get an award for being the strongest advocate in the room.”
- Acted for the leading data centre provider in Indonesia in a shareholders’ dispute, where the opposing minority’s shares were valued at over US$50 million.
- Acted as co-counsel for one of the leading Saudi Arabian oil and gas players in a multi-million dollar SIAC Arbitration.
- Successfully resisted a winding-up application which had been made on the basis that the company had failed to repay a loan which exceeded S$100 million, and also successfully resisted a novel application to re-instate the company to the ACRA register for the purpose of enforcing the loan.
Asian Legal Business
Identified as one of 40 bright legal minds in the region under the age of 40 – “40 Under 40 list” (October 2020 issue)
Shumin is described as “knowledgeable, analytical, reliable and meticulous… Often working on tight deadlines, Shumin can be counted on to respond, even on weekends. We are very pleased with the legal advice and attention that Shumin has provided. She is very quick to grasp the issues and thorough in her analysis and advice.”
Singapore Business Review
Singapore’s 20 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under in 2019 – Listed lawyer
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Co-author of Singapore Civil Procedure, Sweet & Maxwell, 2019 – Discovery.
- Co-author of legaleSE, A Legal Handbook for Social Enterprises, Law Society of Singapore, 2015 – Restraint of trade.