- LL.B. (Hons), The University of Nottingham (2006)
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincolns Inn (2007)
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar (2008)
- Admitted to the Singapore Bar (2015)
Allister specialises in complex corporate, commercial and insurance related disputes.
He frequently acts as lead counsel for corporations and individuals in contractual, fraud, as well as employment related disputes. In addition, Allister has extensive experience in trade credit and other insurance related disputes (financial lines).
Allister also maintains an active arbitration practice and acts in a wide range of institutional as well as ad hoc arbitrations, as well as in arbitration related applications before the Singapore courts.
In addition to being admitted to the Singapore Bar, he is also admitted to the Malaysian Bar and the English Bar.
- Acting for and advising an investment fund in 3 related SIAC arbitrations involving an Indonesian restaurant chain. The dispute is in excess of US$50 million and involves issues Singapore and Indonesian law, and the legality of various transactional documents.
Commercial and Civil Disputes
- Acting for and advising a Russian oligarch in a dispute spanning over multiple jurisdictions (i.e. Cyprus, BVI, Russia, Singapore and Belize) involving a major Russian based bank. The dispute involves a sum in excess of Euro 120 million as well as mareva injunctions in multiple jurisdictions, and the appointment of receivers and managers over assets.
- Acting for and advising an insurer an insurance claim in excess of S$50 million for business interruption losses suffered by the insured’s group of companies as a result of the restrictions imposed by the government following the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Acted for and advising an insurer in 2 SIAC arbitrations involving a major Singapore based bank. The dispute arises from claims for indemnities under trade credit insurance policies involving a sum in excess of US$60 million.
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Acted for and advised a syndication of lenders in a heavily contested scheme of arrangements, which also involved the determination of an issue involving the priority of debts between different lenders.
Singapore Business Review - Singapore’s most influential lawyers under 40 for 2023
Asian Legal Business
ALB Singapore Rising Stars 2022 – Recognised as being amongst the next generation of leading lawyers
Clients commended Allister for his “brilliant legal mind” and for being “an extremely persuasive advocate”. He is also described as “not only an excellent legal advisor but also a savvy negotiator with a good understanding of both commercial as well as insurance requirements”.
asialaw Leading Lawyers
“Allister is a technical expert in the sparse world of insurance disputes, and a trusted adviser who balances commercial needs with the legal position.”
“Very responsive, practical and hands-on.”
“Allister is able to explain legal technicalities so that you can understand. He is able to provide solutions to help us with our issues.”
“Allister knows our business and what we want to achieve. He understands our commercial approach and also provides a realistic and commercial assessment as well as the pure legal view.”
- Assessor for Ministry of Law Panel of Assessors for COVID-19 Temporary Relief
- Board Member of Dementia Singapore
- Honourary Secretary, Management Committee Member, and Audit Sub-committee Member of the Alzheimer’s Disease Association
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Member of the Civil Practice Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the IT Committee of the Law Society of Singapore